Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Finishing up an AR build that is primarily for home / personal defense, which sight would you go with, and why? Looking for pros and cons.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Aim point micro and stream light TLR-1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to beat this advise.

I like the Sig Romeo 5 as an optic, as well.

Originally Posted by jimmyp

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got the Primary Arms 1X prism on the house gun. Why, because the diopter adjustment is nice for my older eyes, and it can run with or without battery power.

Light is the Cloud Defensive OWL.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've got the Primary Arms 1X prism on the house gun. Why, because the diopter adjustment is nice for my older eyes, and it can run with or without battery power.

I like that set-up!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Nebraska

I like that set-up!

The upper is from PSA. It's one of the FN barreled, CHF double chrome-lined, 14.7" pinned/welded. Lower I put together myself. It's a nice combo for closer distances. It's loaded up with Magtech 77gr OTM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some sort of Aimpoint and either a Streamlight or Surefire. Owl if you’re baller. If it’s intended for inside your house you won’t need excessive light, but the more the merrier.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jimmyp

^^^^ +1.

And Magpul Pro BUIS.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I love my PA Cyclops scope , I have bad eyes and it works so much better for me than a red dot. I also dig the etched reticle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no way in hell that I'd fire an AR indoors without serious hearing protection or at least a silencer. Especially a shorty. My ears ring just thinking about it!

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
There is no way in hell that I'd fire an AR indoors without serious hearing protection or at least a silencer. Especially a shorty. My ears ring just thinking about it!

HaHa, wrong! If the situation arises you won't even think about it! If you live through it you'll likely not realize anything was loud until it's over, you lived through it, and as the adrenaline wears off you'll have ringing in your ears.

If you think an AR will be loud you've never been around a short barreled .357 fired unexpectedly. It's literally painful.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
to the OP.. mine is simple 16" carbine, EOtech, Olight PL2. it's loaded with Black Hills 77gr OTM. My suppressor is on it right now, but I plan to do an SBR or pistol to shorten it up.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The eotech was really nice, but we had issues with the one we used in the helicopter holding zero. The rotor vibration would cause the poi to shift as much as 5" . So I guess it depends on how hard you are on it. We switched to an aimpoint. No issues yet. I think the eotech was better for close work, if it would have stayed zeroed. There is a fair bit of reading about the eotechs not holding up if you care to search it. I talked to their reps, and they were not helpful at all. There were about 10 hoops to jump through to get the sight fixed or replaced. It is still sitting in my drawer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

MM,

I haven't used the 1x PA, but I really like the 2.5x from PA. I have it mounted on a 16" mid-length gas upper, stainless 7-twist, from PSA. Each time I shoot that configuration, I am super impressed.

I am also a fan of the etched reticle. I can use it as a red dot at close range. I don't think the holdover points are practical or useful, but this carbine isn't used past 200 - 300 yards.

Jason

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This is my house gun I guess, I’ve had two occasions to search the house I’ve grabbed a pistol both times.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
It’s a Colt 6720 with an EOTECH and a TLR-1 light backed up with Daniel Defense fixed rear iron sight just in case. I also have a Geissele Single Stage Precision trigger. Other changes were the MagPul furniture and a BCM brake.

I’ve heard all the EOThingy bashing before but this new version built after they supposedly fixed their issues has worked perfectly for me. But I could grab any of my scoped guns and not be handicapped, they are all set up with a light. And so are my pistols.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 4th_point

MM,

I haven't used the 1x PA, but I really like the 2.5x from PA. I have it mounted on a 16" mid-length gas upper, stainless 7-twist, from PSA. Each time I shoot that configuration, I am super impressed.

I am also a fan of the etched reticle. I can use it as a red dot at close range. I don't think the holdover points are practical or useful, but this carbine isn't used past 200 - 300 yards.

Jason

That 2.5X looks super practical.

I've got PA prism sights in 1X, 3X, and 5X. I like them all. I probably 'need' a 2.5X also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

MM,

Jason

That 2.5X looks super practical.

I've got PA prism sights in 1X, 3X, and 5X. I like them all. I probably 'need' a 2.5X also.

I'm wanting to ck out the new 2x .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I bet the 3x is just as good or better than the 2.5x.

On the 3x and 5x, does the illumination control have an off setting in between the marked levels? On the 2.5x, there is only one off setting.

J

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

I bet the 3x is just as good or better than the 2.5x.

On the 3x and 5x, does the illumination control have an off setting in between the marked levels? On the 2.5x, there is only one off setting.

J

Same with the 3X and 5x. The illum will shut off between settings, but there is no detent to click into.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the reply, MM.

Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,149 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.