Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This crowd went as far as trying 18inches then cutting down 1 inch at a time. 16-18 inch seems to give the maximum velocity in most cases. Click on the Muzzle Energy Graph link on each page for a better visual indication of the results.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto2.html

They've done a whole bunch of other pistol cartridges, and 223 too.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got curious and did a little research. The .223 and .45 ACP are essentially identical re: case capacity. Of course the ACP will be substantially influenced by seating depth.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So, theoretically, if one loaded a 55 grain .45 bullet in the .45ACP one could realize over 3000 fps with same?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uh, I don’t speak supersonic. Was thinking that a true looney might generate something in the neighborhood of 1,000 FPS or so with maybe 350-400 gr lead. With a given peak pressure the larger base area will move a given sectional density more faster.

But yes, in theory, maybe if one has a near fatal dose of the looney virus.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm picturing thin wafers of lead hurtling through space at three times the speed of sound, completely unstabilized and with no predictability as to where they'll land. Bet they'd make quite a cool sound as they do though.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[quote][/quote]I'll stick with shooting 185-230 grain projectiles from a 5" 1911, as God and John Browning intended. grin

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
This crowd went as far as trying 18inches then cutting down 1 inch at a time. 16-18 inch seems to give the maximum velocity in most cases. Click on the Muzzle Energy Graph link on each page for a better visual indication of the results.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto2.html

They've done a whole bunch of other pistol cartridges, and 223 too.

Interesting in those links how some loads lose velocity at a given barrel length and then slowly pick up more again at a longer length.

I will be reloading everything I shoot, so I will be able to progressively increase each load combination until I detect/determine near maximum loads. This should indicate to me the true performance ceiling of this wonderful little case.

Everything I will be testing will be done over a lab radar chronograph, and every case will be inspected to track performance trends.

I may even ream out the chamber lead at some time to allow the bigger/longer 230 gr+ bullets to seat out further to gain a little case capacity.

My priority is accuracy first, then velocity.

With most conventional pistol powder charges, the pressures are lower (relatively speaking) and the pistol powders don't always burn completely, cleanly, or consistently. These loads normally leave the spent cases more dirty with unburnt powder fouling. This seems to create higher Standard deviation values and inconsistent gas volume/pressure yields. It isn't until the pressures are elevated a bit (which this platform will be ideally built for), and the gas volumes/pressures should tend to balance out better and give better Standard deviations, velocities, and burn a bit cleaner.

This is why I want to initially test a pile of standard powder & bullet combos, and slowly work them up to see if they get more accurate and burn cleaner like in my JR carbine.

After all that testing is complete , then I hope to expand into some "slower" powders, then slowly ramp up pressures until I encounter the near max performance of the combination.
This should give me a decent evaluation of what I can squeeze out of this little 45ACP case. After all that experimentation, what ever the best combinations of accuracy and velocity are, is what I will load volume for.

Most of us shooters know, the majority of the fun is in the testing, and then is complemented in the hunting or target shooting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, ol’ John was a bit ahead of his time, no? I shot a cement truck with a 1911 one day. Just a bit over 300 meters. One shot on a bet, won a case of beer.

I’m thinking if one wants 3K FPS with the cartridge they ought to consider a 4 piece sabot with proper OD and a flechette dart for the “bullet”. They could call it the .45 Creedmoor Killer.

[Linked Image from static.independent.co.uk]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 03/19/20.

I am..........disturbed.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Well, ol’ John was a bit ahead of his time, no? I shot a cement truck with a 1911 one day. Just a bit over 300 meters. One shot on a bet, won a case of beer.

I’m thinking if one wants 3K FPS with the cartridge they ought to consider a 4 piece sabot with proper OD and a flechette dart for the “bullet”. They could call it the .45 Creedmoor Killer.

[Linked Image from static.independent.co.uk]

Lol!
I cannot imagine shooting super light bullets out of a 45ACP!
It would be loke shooting little hockey puck shaped bullets!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You could always turn it into a 460 Rowland - heavy bullets @ subsonic velocity...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 2002 I put a Shilen 0.452" bull barrel on a 1903 Turkish Mauser.
The handloads were higher than 460 Rowland with 45acp brass, but the 15 pound rifle did not kick hard.
It is hard on plywood targets at 100 yards. I can see plywood bits flying out the back through the scope.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Wohoo! Got an email this morning, and my 45ACP barrel was mailed out to me today!

I can hardly wait to start the testing!

Now the wait for the postal service........!

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Get movin’ Dude.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
what kind of accuracy did you get at 100? with what bullet?

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Well boys and girls, here she is!

After waiting just shy of 4 1/2 months after deciding to go ahead with the project, it is now a reality!

First range visit was a great learning tool! The only load I tested today was pretty darn good to start! I put the first 2 rounds onto a target at 25, then put another 2 on a target at 75 yards. I then took the bull by the horns and went right out to someones old target at 136 yards. Photo of the target and rifle are included in the photo link below.

So far it is really fun!
Hope you like the photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UPNd3zvpCzFVK9Bk7

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, that looks like fun.

smile

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Very nice. Just think how many rounds you can shoot before barrel wear becomes a problem. Really neat concept...I like it!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's pretty cool!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Well fellow shooters, I have an update for you!

After numerous load tests and assessments, the 45 Super rifle is fun as heck!

I have achieved some serious velocities with 185 XTP, 200 XTP, and 230 grain bullets and no significant high pressure indicators.

So far Long shot appears to be the powder of choice in my rifle.

The FULLY SUPPORTED CHAMBER and standard magnum action, 1" bull barrel, really handles this little case with absolute ease!

I have reached close to 1700 fps with 185 XTP's
VERY close to 1600 fps with 200 grain XTP's.
And I have managed to get 1450 fps with 230 grain Campro Hollow points.

I have found that at some point as the powder charges gradually go up, the groups start to open up noticeably.
Once the accuracy gets out of my expectations (2-1/2" + at 100 yds).

I simply back down to where the accuracy is best and stick with that charge.

I have never yet experienced any case failures of any kind yet. Not lose primers or excessive case head expansion.
I started with Federal large pistol, Blazer small pistol primer, and Starline 45 Super brass.

I have managed 6-7 groups that have been sub-MOA at 100, but the average seems to be around 1-3/4 to 1-1/4" at 100 yds.

I am starting to partial size the cases, just to resize the portion that contacts the bullet when seated. I will test to see if this helps with bullet bore alignment, and results in a more consistant load. We will see if it helps.

I have yet to test some 250 grain XTP bullets. If they shoot well and velocity goals are achieved, they should be the best bet to use on game if I decide to use it. This combo should come close to 45 Long colt velocities. At speeds like that, the bullet wont be driven too hard for its construction.

This rifle is going to be a riot on the gopher fields!!!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Too cool! You are really making me want one.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 15 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.