Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I assume we all have our own "Gunwriter Mt Rushmores" which likely is made up the writers we grew up with. I never grew up reading Kieth, Skelton, O'Connor etc.

Read snippets here and there.

Curious - who are on your mountain and more importantly, name one book of theirs you think everyone should read, and why.

(I wanna build an Amazon wishlist)

Me

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Finn Aagaard, Bob Milek, John Wooters, Jim Carmichael, Rick Jamison, Clay Harvey, Ed Matunas, and Bob Hagel to name a few.

Bob Hagel - Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter
Finn Aagard - Hunting Rifles and Cartridges
Both authors worked as guides and saw more game shot than most of us dream of. Neither saw the bullet technological revolution that we have to day, but they sure were fun and interesting to read. And they were both pragmatists.

Can't even list all of my books.....but these are two of my favorites.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AT my age it's hard to remember them all, so I went in and consulted the "shelf of honor" among the wall of the other titles and authors. The envelope, please:

Pete Brown, Warren Page, Bob Nichols, Jack O'Connor, Bob Brister, Elmer Keith, Clyde Ormond, Havilah Babcock, John Wooters, Robert Ruark, Frances Sell, "Skeeter" Skelton, Bob Hagel, Finn Aagard, and John Jobson.

I am probably missing one or two, whose book(s) got loaned out and never returned.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dean Grennell - The ABC's of Reloading
Mr. Barsness - Obsessions of a Rifle Loony

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've read them all and I hate them all. laugh
Grandad never read gun scribes and he had one hunting rifle. Dad never read them and he had one hunting rifle. I read every article of theirs I could beg, steal, or borrow and I've owned around a hundred freaking deer rifles! I just want to be normal! laugh

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mike, it's too late !! grin

Guys, there are more than I can remember and I DON'T want to neglect any.

E K was mostly done by the time I got into gun lore but I have "Hell I Was There", anyway.

I never knew Bob Hagel BEFORE I got his "Game Loads and Practical Ballistics...." from O L Book Club.
IIRC (?) it was $ 8.00 AiN'T for sale.

Tip of the Hat to Skeeter, Jordan, Howell, Carmichael, Sundra and OF COURSE..... J B !!

Thanks Guys.

Last edited by jwall; 03/15/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by mudhen
AT my age it's hard to remember them all, so I went in and consulted the "shelf of honor" among the wall of the other titles and authors. The envelope, please:

Pete Brown, Warren Page, Bob Nichols, Jack O'Connor, Bob Brister, Elmer Keith, Clyde Ormond, Havilah Babcock, John Wooters, Robert Ruark, Frances Sell, "Skeeter" Skelton, Bob Hagel, Finn Aagard, and John Jobson.

I am probably missing one or two, whose book(s) got loaned out and never returned.

Excellent List!

I would add Archibald Rutledge, Gene Hill, and Jim Corbett.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
O
O
I will second Archibald Rutledge who was the Poet Laureate of South Carolina and his book "The Woods and Wild Things I Remember" is my favorite. I also like all things JB has written...articles, books, etc.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hagel’a hunting North American big game is good as well. Bob Brister only published 2-3 books and some of those are fiction but all are really good

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smitty_bs

Bob Hagel - Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter
Both authors worked as guides and saw more game shot than most of us dream of. Neither saw the bullet technological revolution that we have to day, .

Both were favorites of mine as well and both were big fans of Nosler Partition and Bitteroot bonded core bullets and Finn wrote extensively about testing Trophy Bonded , Nosler Partitions, Barnes X, Swift A frames, Speer Grand Slams and even European RWS H-Mantels,

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by moosemike
I've read them all and I hate them all. laugh
Grandad never read gun scribes and he had one hunting rifle. Dad never read them and he had one hunting rifle. I read every article of theirs I could beg, steal, or borrow and I've owned around a hundred freaking deer rifles! I just want to be normal! laugh

Sucks to be you. Sucks to be me, too. cry

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read some of Elmer's stuff early on. Maybe that's why I've never owned a 270 of any flavor & lean toward big holes in the end of my muzzles. Even more influential for me were Ken Waters, Bob Hagel, Finn Aagard, & Jim Carmichael. Not really a gunwriter but that McMannis guy is fun to read.

Last edited by 358WCF; 03/15/20.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The Rifle by Jim Carmicheal is pretty freaking good. Elmer Keith's Big Game Hunting is also a good book. Sheep and Sheep Hunting by Jack O'Connor is a good book. Those are three books that are good to start with.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Best I can remember Keith was one I read a lot of . Funny thing is I've always had a .270 and still do. I read Keith but mainly for the entertainment. I didn't emulate him and went my own way. I did read Warren Page but he was like Keith in the magazines. What I did read of Page where I really learned from him was some very good bench rest stuff. He had some technical papers he wrote for bench rest shooting that were very informative. I remember Wooters and liked him for his technical knowledge too. Never read Brister, just watched him on TV I really loved his show on Houston TV. Aagard was probably my favorite entertainment wise but when I read his stuff he was already here in Texas and mostly wrote about hunting on his ranch in the Hill Country. I didn't read many books on guns. However, I did read some of Cap Stick and a couple other African writer Including Aagard because I always liked to read of the African adventure.

Last edited by Filaman; 03/15/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob Hagel and recommend Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter. His hunting experience and insistence on wringing the best out of a rifle/cartridge impressed me.

Warren Page and recommend The Accurate rifle. A statement he said always stuck with me. 'Only accurate rifles are interesting'

Don Zutz and recommend Handloading For Hunters. Zutz was a Wisconsin native and wrote intensely about shotguns and rifles I reloaded for.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Ross Seyfreid.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Living favorite is John Barsness. Deceased favorite is Jack O'Connor. Lots of good writers in between these two men. Both have different styles but both are/were the real deal IMO.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roundoak
Bob Hagel and recommend Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter. His hunting experience and insistence on wringing the best out of a rifle/cartridge impressed me.

Warren Page and recommend The Accurate rifle. A statement he said always stuck with me. 'Only accurate rifles are interesting'

Don Zutz and recommend Handloading For Hunters. Zutz was a Wisconsin native and wrote intensely about shotguns and rifles I reloaded for.

That is actually a Col Townsend Whelen Quote.

I have all the usual suspects...

Last edited by Sitka deer; 03/15/20.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
J.O. ..Sheep and Sheep hunting, it is still the reference guide for the Sheep hunter . I liked Page's ,The Accurate Rifle. No smiley faces needed. Both were aces.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smitty_bs
Finn Aagaard, Bob Milek, John Wooters, Jim Carmichael, Rick Jamison, Clay Harvey, Ed Matunas, and Bob Hagel to name a few.

I'm glad someone else had the stones to mention Clay Harvey first. They'll pelt you instead of me.

Yes, a lot of his stuff was apocryphal. Yes, he generated a lot of personal bad blood on here. However, I kept a copy of The Hunter's Rifle next to the bed for over a decade. A lot of the rifles he touted are now on my rack, and I have to agree with him. The Hunter's Rifle did a great job of slicing up the myriad of what was out there at the time and giving a framework for what to chose when.

Yes, he stole ideas. Yes, he stole rifles. Yes, he claimed experience where he did not have it. However, before I found this place, I used The Hunter's Rifle quite a bit as a primary reference and it did not fail me.

So far, there is not a name mentioned I would dispute.

John Wooters is problematic in my mind, but then all the men on Rushmore are as well. He was a great writer, no doubt about that. However, he championed the idea of culling to improve trophy quality. This led to a generation of men wandering about the woods shooting gimpy-looking bucks and thinking they were doing the world a favor.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,243 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.