Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
As I see it, I have 3 options with my M70 as far as trigger goes.

I’m looking for a 2-2.5lb crisp & safe trigger. I have mine dialed to 2lbs and it is pretty crisp, but it bothers me that it wobbles....I could chase shims, but....

So, I can keep chasing the stock trigger and tune it....

I can buy a Jewell and know I’ve bought the best....do I need a $225 hunting trigger that requires grinding to fit.

...or I can buy a Timney trigger $150 which would adjust down to 2-2.5 lbs and seems like it would work fine.

Your thoughts? What have you tried? Were to happy with it?

GB1

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I’ve got a Timney in mine and love it. Can’t imagine needing more.

In truth the original model 70 trigger was the height of simplicity and I’d not have changed mine out; I bought it this way.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Turn it over to a good gun smith. The M70 trigger is one of the best hunting designs around IMO. The Jewel are better for sub 2lb. pulls and don't handle grit and crud in the trigger very well. The Timney is a fine trigger and plenty good enough for a hunting rifle. I like the open M70 trigger better than a housed trigger like the Jewel or Timney.

Redneck or another qualified smith can have the factory trigger close to pure perfection. You could refine it some with after market springs and teflon washer/shims where needed but a good gunsmith can do even better for a reasonable price. I won't risk a lecture by mentioning stoning or polishing anything leave that to those that know and preferably machine everything.

After you get it back put Dyna Gun Coat on it and only flush it out with lighter fluid and it will work fine in any condition.

This is worth exactly what you paid for it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Which M70 trigger version?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My question, too. I love the original M70 triggers. Very easy to adjust, and dead nuts reliable.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have several Model 70 rifles and have kept the original. With some adjustment/stoning they work fine at 2.5# or more. I've found them reliable and useful, but not what I'd call great triggers. I used a Jewell in a rifle 20 years ago and it was okay in the field. My Jewell was very finicky and needed frequently cleaning. That wasn't a big deal as it only required flushing it with lighter fluid, but it certainly wasn't a trigger that was intended for hard use. It would safely adjust to a few ounces, but I traded it a few years ago and have never missed it. I have a Timney in a Model 70 and have had nothing but excellent service. It is a very good trigger, adjusts easily to 1.5#, and has been very dependable so far. I've used it pretty hard in the field, two weeks in the rain/snow on an Afognak hunt, several winter hunts, and 10 days in Missouri Breaks dust. Not a single hiccup yet. If I wanted a Model 70 trigger under 2.5# I'd get another Timney.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by nksmfamjp
As I see it, I have 3 options with my M70 as far as trigger goes.

I’m looking for a 2-2.5lb crisp & safe trigger. I have mine dialed to 2lbs and it is pretty crisp, but it bothers me that it wobbles....I could chase shims, but....

So, I can keep chasing the stock trigger and tune it....

I can buy a Jewell and know I’ve bought the best....do I need a $225 hunting trigger that requires grinding to fit.

...or I can buy a Timney trigger $150 which would adjust down to 2-2.5 lbs and seems like it would work fine.

Your thoughts? What have you tried? Were to happy with it?

My 1966 Model 70 has the same trigger that came on it. I love that trigger. I adjusted it about 35 years ago and haven't touched it since. It breaks crisply at about 2-2.5 pounds. Yeah, if you mean you can push it from side to side, mine too wabbles. But it doesn't seem to affect my pulling it. When I adjusted it I took the scope off and dropped it from about a foot off the carpet and it didn't go off. I did that multiple times. That was the gold standard test back in the day. I much prefer it to the old Remington trigger. It's simple and straight forward and after owning the rifle 54 years now without a hiccup I have to say it's safe.

Last edited by Filaman; 03/15/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Filaman
[quote=nksmfamjp]
My 1966 Model 70 has the same trigger that came on it. I love that trigger. I adjusted it about 35 years ago and haven't touched it since. It breaks crisply at about 2-2.5 pounds. Yeah, if you mean you can push it from side to side, mine too wabbles. But it doesn't seem to affect my pulling it. When I adjusted it I took the scope off and dropped it from about a foot off the carpet and it didn't go off. I did that multiple times. That was the gold standard test back in the day. I much prefer it to the old Remington trigger. It's simple and straight forward and after owning the rifle 54 years now without a hiccup I have to say it's safe.

I agree. Feel isn’t bad....I’m at 1lb 14 oz and it feels pretty good! I may just try raising it up to 2 lb consistently....

I have a Timney on order....I gotta try it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm happier with the Timney then the tuned factory trigger. My factory trigger turned out nice but not like the Timney. I haven't put any Timneys through torture tests but I have never had any issues. The Timeny is probably a good compromise between the factory and Jewell.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I run my pre 64's at a nice crisp 2.5 pounds. Im also wondering what trigger the op has on his rifle. Also wondering what he means by "it wobbles"?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I run my pre 64's at a nice crisp 2.5 pounds. Im also wondering what trigger the op has on his rifle. Also wondering what he means by "it wobbles"?

The trigger has a loose fit to the pin causing sear surfaces to rotate relative to one another causing variation in feel during sear release. Pretty minor, but cassette triggers rarely have this. My MOA trigger feels much more consistent due to this.

Last edited by nksmfamjp; 03/16/20.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by efw
I’ve got a Timney in mine and love it. Can’t imagine needing more.

In truth the original model 70 trigger was the height of simplicity and I’d not have changed mine out; I bought it this way.

+1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

The trigger has a loose fit to the pin causing sear surfaces to rotate relative to one another causing variation in feel during sear release. Pretty minor, but cassette triggers rarely have this. My MOA trigger feels much more consistent due to this.

Have it re pinned

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Have it re pinned

Is this common? Never heard of that on an M70....It seems like they are not discussed much online.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have and use both the Timney and Jewell M70 triggers, I find them both better than even a tweaked factory trigger.
For a trigger pull of 2 to 2.5 pounds the Timney is probably the best way to go, the Jewell really shines at pull weights under 2 pounds. I run most of mine at 1 pound or less. The only downside for me is that the stock has to be modified using a Jewell.

One thing that cracks me up on threads like this is people saying how sensitive Jewell triggers are to dust and wash them out with lighter fluid......

I own at least 20 Jewell triggers and have never had one fail in the field in decades of use !!!!!!!!!! I have never washed one out with lighter fluid !!!!!!!!!
I do on occasion blow them off with an air hose doing routine cleaning.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I have and use both the Timney and Jewell M70 triggers, I find them both better than even a tweaked factory trigger.
For a trigger pull of 2 to 2.5 pounds the Timney is probably the best way to go, the Jewell really shines at pull weights under 2 pounds. I run most of mine at 1 pound or less. The only downside for me is that the stock has to be modified using a Jewell.

One thing that cracks me up on threads like this is people saying how sensitive Jewell triggers are to dust and wash them out with lighter fluid......

I own at least 20 Jewell triggers and have never had one fail in the field in decades of use !!!!!!!!!! I have never washed one out with lighter fluid !!!!!!!!!
I do on occasion blow them off with an air hose doing routine cleaning.

I have ran a Jewell for close to twenty years on my main hunting rifle, a model 70 in 300 ultra. I haven't had a single issue despite hunting in all sorts of nasty conditions.
I know guys go gaga over the model 70's open trigger. It's a great design. However it was executed poorly in the classics. Made out of cheap MIM parts with sloppy tolerances and rough surfaces even after you have one tuned by a competent model 70 smith they are never in the same league as a Jewell.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

FWIW - I bought a Timney MOA trigger for a BACO M-70. I DESPISED IT! Flat, chunky trigger shoe. Went back to the OEM cupped trigger.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

FWIW - I bought a Timney MOA trigger for a BACO M-70. I DESPISED IT! Flat, chunky trigger shoe. Went back to the OEM cupped trigger.

It looks more like the X-Bolt trigger - probably is. I much prefer the MOA trigger shape.

BTW, one of the reasons that folks buy the Timney replacement is to get a trigger pull lighter than the MOA. I couldn't get the MOA below 3 pounds, looked at the Timney but didn't like the shape, so bought an Ernie spring. Even with the Ernie spring the trigger pull was still about 3 pounds. So, I took my small wire-cutters and started trimming, about a quarter coil at a time. By they time I got to one full coil removed, the pull was a consistent 2 pounds on the nose, still with the characteristics the MOA is known for: zero creep, zero overtravel. The good things are: 1) if too much is removed, Ernie makes springs every day; 2) same profile you're used to since it's the same trigger; and 3) weight can always be adjusted heavier by simply screwing in the MOA weight adjustment screw. If you don't mind an enclosed trigger - which both MOA and Timney are - it's a win-win.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have two stainless classics. One has a trigger job by Redneck (here on the Forum) which was done before I purchases the rifle. It is great, very clean break at 2 lbs 12 oz. The other is a 280AI that Redneck put together for me. I didn't have him work his magic on the trigger, which was a mistake. Rather than send it back to him I decided to put a Timney in it. Very happy with the Timney. Excellent and easy to adjust to one's liking without screwing it up.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO the OP should not bother with a Jewell if he is interested in the 2-2.5 pound range. I had one Pre-64 M70 trigger fitted with an oversize pin and re-worked many years ago and it was very clean in all respects.
That is not a very good DIY project though, so if the wobble bothers you a Timney may be best. Not sure if you'll need to re-time the safety with one although I know I did on the 2 M70s I used Jewells on.
I did not have any issues with dirt in the Jewells here in dusty Arizona on either my 6.5-06 hunting rifle or .308 Palma rifle which have both been used extensively. The Palma rifle is currently sporting an Anschutz 5018 2 stage, and that was a rodeo to get fitted up!

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 55 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.