Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I am considering upgrading my Integral Designs, North Twin Model Primaloft insulated bag rated at 10F and weights 3.5 lbs. The hood only covers the bottom portion of my skull and it is not really warm enough. I think the temperature rating is optimistic at best and 3 lbs. 8 ozs. is not so light. The shell is Pertex, which is nice.

The above bag replaced a North Face Snowshoe 3D 0F rated bag which was warmer, but heavier, I lost in Chugach State park Unit 14C while relocating from one camp to another, just fell of the pack and was gone. Went into Anchorage and bought the above one.

The bag will primarily be used for Goat and Sheep hunting so it needs to be as light as possible. Temperature range from 0 - 20F. I usually sleep in long john base layers, socks, zip neck shirt and a thin hat.

This bag will likely last me the rest of my life, price is not a consideration, weight and warmth are. I think about 10F would be perfect, but it seems most are 0 or 20F. Thanks.

N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

GB1

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
The Mountain Hardware Lamina seems like a possibility, but 4 lbs. 3 ozs. is heavy.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/la...hetic&prefn3=genderGroup&start=0

I also have the Brooks Range Jacket in Gore Tex and Camo that Integral Designs made for Barney's, that jacket is warm. A bit heavier than the Pertex version he usually sold, but I think the Gore Tex is more wind resistent and sheds the water better than the Pertex. That jacket is warm, it does not compress as well as the Pertex version, but I put it in a compression sack and it works. Double zipper too.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
The North Face Cats Meow bag has been around for a long time. This one is only rated to 20F, but is only 2 lbs. 4 ozs. I am not really a fan of TNF, not the same company since they were bought out years ago. Anyone try either the MH or the TNF bag ? Any other ideas ?

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/equipment-sleeping-bags-5f-25f/cats-meow-nf0a3g69?variationId=3UC

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I switched to down 15 years ago and never looked back. Im also a sheep and goat hunter, and for weight to warmth, cant beat down. Good luck in your search.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I wasn't looking at Down, since I was always concerned about it getting wet and being a safety issue. Is there a particular Down bag that you recommend ?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hollow fill. Bought one for Cookie30 years ago when she complained of being cold. She used it once, as it is way too warm.

1Minute
W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
You mentioned weight so go with a down bag. Synthetic is so 2003. Any of the name brands will work. I have an REI brand that’s going on 5 years now and no issues.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I have the WM Versalite and Terralite. One is a 10, other a 25 degree bag. During sheep season, very rarely take the 10 degree bag unless its late. WM and Feathered Friends make great bags, and both made in the US.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I would suggest a down bag in a Goretex bivy sac. I am very fond of my Western Mountaineering Sequoia. Bought from Hermit Hut, came with free down overfill. Highly recommend both.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by WDH
You mentioned weight so go with a down bag. Synthetic is so 2003. Any of the name brands will work. I have an REI brand that’s going on 5 years now and no issues.

GF1 too funny.

I beleive the above story I related from 14C happened in 2002, so you would be exactly correct. That TNF bag may have rolled out of the Park and all the way down to the road.

I think based on the above, I have it narrowed down to 3 bags and perhaps I will add a Pertex Black Diamond Bivy that weighs less than one pound, to add some warmth and water resistance.

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The bivy and a good insulating air mattress really add warm and important comfort. I like my Sea to Summit mattress a lot, FYI.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wiggy Glacier Hunter, good down to I believe 15.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Look at the newer Hydro Down which is a Teflon treated down that only looses a little loft but is water resistant and will still provide some insulation when wet.

I like a modular system with a silk or fleece liner, down bag, and then either a synthetic bag or bivy cover. I also go full length on a Thermo-rest type self inflating pad. The synthetics have not lasted as long as my down bags by less than half. They are easy to clean and best for float trips and continual rain though. Go with any of the name brands and it is worth paying for the higher loft ratings with those over 600 fill having fewer feathers in the mix. The 800 fill power bags feel like sleeping on a cloud. The Cat's Meow is too restrictive for me, I get a bag listed for at least six inches taller than I am so the hood covers well with no restriction. A good base layer and a balclava or beanie will extend the range of the bag. With a roomy bag you can keep extra clothes by your feet and get dressed inside the bag.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The comfort rating IME will keep you alive at those numbers - has nothing to do with "comfort". For that, you need another 15-20 degrees. In the right direction of course. smile

Wear a medium to heavy balaclava, stocking cap, or best, a pull-over face mask/hood at night that comes well down your neck. Even a bandana around the neck helps. 75% of your heat loss is through head and neck. HUGE help! Wear heavy dry socks to bed. I don't know if it helps much, but is absolutely decadent!

And you might consider a Gore-tex bag cover- those are supposed to add about 10 degrees and are "waterproof" in case the tent leaks or you are sleeping under the stars. Can't say, haven't tried it. Probably adds a couple pounds also.

Bag lines as per above should help also. Haven't tried them myself. Theoretically, modular systems make sense.. Me, I just open the bag or add a dog...

Or buy a new bag....

Down is much lighter than synthetic, but there is that wet thing.....If you can keep them dry, down is the way to go.

I don't own one anymore. Maybe a combination down/goretex set up?

Last edited by las; 03/16/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cold Zero
I am considering upgrading my Integral Designs, North Twin Model Primaloft insulated bag rated at 10F and weights 3.5 lbs. The hood only covers the bottom portion of my skull and it is not really warm enough. I think the temperature rating is optimistic at best and 3 lbs. 8 ozs. is not so light. The shell is Pertex, which is nice.

The above bag replaced a North Face Snowshoe 3D 0F rated bag which was warmer, but heavier, I lost in Chugach State park Unit 14C while relocating from one camp to another, just fell of the pack and was gone. Went into Anchorage and bought the above one.

The bag will primarily be used for Goat and Sheep hunting so it needs to be as light as possible. Temperature range from 0 - 20F. I usually sleep in long john base layers, socks, zip neck shirt and a thin hat.

This bag will likely last me the rest of my life, price is not a consideration, weight and warmth are. I think about 10F would be perfect, but it seems most are 0 or 20F. Thanks.

FWIW, The snowshoe has been replaced by the snow leopard bag. I have both and like the leopard better.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by GF1
The bivy and a good insulating air mattress really add warm and important comfort. I like my Sea to Summit mattress a lot, FYI.

With my set up, although I did not mention it, the bag was on top of a Thermarest Prolite 3 full length pad, which I found to be good.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you really want synthetic, then you may want to look at Big Agnes. Get a new insulated blow up pad to fit.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
If you are Right handed, would you want a right or left hand zipper bag ?

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by las
The comfort rating IME will keep you alive at those numbers - has nothing to do with "comfort". For that, you need another 15-20 degrees. In the right direction of course. smile

This sounds like very good advice, maybe that explains why my Integral Designs 10F bag was not so warm, plus the hood was lousy, like half a hood. Who wants half their head covered ? Maybe a 0F bag you can always ventilate if you get too warm would be a good rating to focus on. 15-20F for comfort puts me at a 0F rating bag.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
OK, I have learned a few things and I appreciate the input. I hve narrowed it down to the follwing in no particular order. Comments on the below options are encouraged, certainly if anyone has mountain sleep time in of them.

Feathered Friends
Lark 10F
900 + Goose
2 lbs. 1 oz
$499

Western Mountaineering
Versalite 10 F
850 Goose
2 lbs
$605

The North Face
Snow Leopard 5F
Synthetic insulation - unspecified
3 lbs. 11 ozs
$200

Mountain Hardware
Phantom Alpine 15F
850 Goose
2 lbs. 2 oz
$550

Mountain Hardware
Phantom 0F
850 Goose
2 lbs. 11 ozs.
$620

Is the difference between 850 and 900 fill noticeable ? Or, is a rate difference of 5F also noticeable ?
Hard to beleive that the Snow Leopard would be close to the warmest ?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,246
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.