24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is "a steady diet of magnums?" I've heard that expression for years. How many magnum level rounds does it take to shoot a M19 loose?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Breakfast - 50 rounds of fried 158 gr. HP, side of 125 grainers
Lunch - 50 rounds of 158 SWCGC, 15.0 grains 2400
Dinner - appetizer of one box of 125 HP, main course of two boxes of 180 JSP.

Repeat daily.

Okay, so I'm a sucker for overused phrases, too. wink Basically, I'd call a steady diet shooting at least one or two 50 round boxes of full power .357 Magnum rounds every time you shoot. Depending on the frequency of shooting - daily, weekly, monthly, once a year on your birthday - a revolver could last a lifetime or start to develop end shake in a year or two.

But instead of trying to absolutely quantify "number of rounds = worn out" which varies from piece to piece I'll put it another way. Based on several examples from gun show tables I'd definitely want to examine an older Model 19 in person to check for signs of end shake or other wear, whereas I'd have few qualms buying a used Security Six from the internet as long as the external condition appeared okay.

Heck, I shot my 1981 vintage Model 586 enough to develop some endshake after about 20 years. Sent it back to S&W and they fixed it up nice and tight again.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Unless you're enamored of the Model 19 - and they are fine pieces - the Ruger Security Six is a same size option that AFAIK does not shoot loose even with a steady diet of magnums. They can usually be found for a god deal less than a comparable condition S&W. I've owned a few of them and any given example will be at least as accurate as any given Model 19 although the trigger isn't quite as nice, but then there are very few firearms anywhere with trigger pulls as nice as a K-frame single action pull.

Yeah, but the Security Six is bud-tugly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
End shake can be fixed. It's the cracked barrel extension and flame cut topstrap that supposedly are K frame killers that would concern me... if I ever saw a M19 that had either of those. I guess I don't get around enough but I just haven't ran across a bunch of busted up S&W K Magnum revolvers. I've carried them on duty and have owned at least a dozen over the years and they have held up fine. Admittedly I'm not running tens of thousands of magnum loads through them.

I have owned about the same number of Ruger Security Sixes as K frame S&W magnums. Though rougher in finish and action they have been pretty good guns. I do remember one Ruger that would bind up the cylinder when shooting handloads with Unique powder. A hundred rounds of Unique would lock that gun up while a M19 continued to operate just fine. While I'm sure shooting loose a M19 may happen, the whole thing seems over played to me.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Unless you're enamored of the Model 19 - and they are fine pieces - the Ruger Security Six is a same size option that AFAIK does not shoot loose even with a steady diet of magnums. They can usually be found for a god deal less than a comparable condition S&W. I've owned a few of them and any given example will be at least as accurate as any given Model 19 although the trigger isn't quite as nice, but then there are very few firearms anywhere with trigger pulls as nice as a K-frame single action pull.

Haha. Yeah. Diehard Ruger guys tend to gloss over that part. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Be nice now. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Or the Owner!! cool cool

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Be nice now. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Or the Owner!! cool cool

Haha. Of course. I don't really have anything against Rugers. Got a few myself. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

The unfortunate thing with them is that they are no longer supportednby Ruger.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
What is endshake?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's what happens to older guns.

When you're young and just starting out buying new guns the end of the barrel is steady, but when the gun gets older it tends to shake around more, so it's called "end shake" or "endshake". Some folks say it's just me getting older but that can't possibly be, it has to be the gun....

OR

It's the front to back movement of the cylinder. Some revolvers will display a tiny bit of movement right out of the box which isn't detrimental, but a lot of heavy recoil can increase it. My 6" GP100 .357 which is about 10 years old shows just a teensy bit of movement but it always has, I'd guess no more than a few ten thousandths, whereas a 67 year old S&W K38 .38 Spl I bought recently has absolutely zero movement at all.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
The 629 I bought new wobbles in all directions now. The frigging sights fall off, the ejector rod unscrews and locks things up. The cylinder release falls off.

I love that thing.

A 4 inch GP100 would be smart I guess, but the SW triggers are so much nicer.

Can a Ruger trigger be improved on very much?

Thanks for the explanation Jim.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Rob96

The unfortunate thing with them is that they are no longer supportednby Ruger.

But parts are still available in various places. I've got extra parts. Last I used was for a friend who wanted to convert his 38 speed six to a 357 mag. It was a cylinder. Check out Gunbroker if you feel you need parts. I think you would have to work at it to wear one out.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.