Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I tossed my rough sheet, but I did GIBRASS.COM for bulk powder. Bulk primers cheapest whatever I found online per case of 5000. Same on bullets which were likely per multiple thousand maybe even 6000 IIRC. Bulk Ball bullets. Give or take 155 vs 170 a case ain't much difference.

Man we hit the jackpot years ago buying that 200 pound keg of ball surplus... it was cheap. I don't recall how cheap but want to say around 600 bucks for the keg, powder weight I just saw the other day was about 150 only though, but still... maybe it was 4 per pound of powder.... but thats been some time back.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the best option for bulk ammo right now?

Reloading your own.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Lennie
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Originally Posted by rost495
Running quick numbers taking a break from welding for ball ammo assuming you have your own brass, 15.5 cents per round. 155 a case of 1000 basically....

Rost, help me with the math
Brass=$.00
Powder=$.10
Primer=$.03
Bullets=$.??

How do you get to $.155 per round ?

My cost for reloading 223/5.56

Powder = $.081
Primer= $.025
Bullet = .065

My total round cost is $.171 per round

If some can load at $.155, I need to find out how to do it for less. And I thought I was as frugal as possible. To get to $.171 per round, I buy my Horanady bullets in their 6,000 count box, powder in larger than normal amounts and buy primers at 50,000 per purchase.

Lennie, you are getting screwed, or you did your math wrong. You live near me, so this may hit home. You know bi-mart always has deals on reloading components. IE: $2.00 off reloading supplies (powder, bullets, primers). I bought primers for $29.00 a month ago when they were on sale. So that price rivals your price by just a small amount and I didn't have to buy 50,000. Either you are getting screwed big time or you did your math wrong. Your powder cost is high as well. Also, rost has been at this for a long azzed time. Rest assured he bought some of his components 30 years ago and he may be going by what it cost him back in the 80's. Also as far as brass goes, that chidt is free for the taking. Its littering our gravel pits and shooting ranges. That never costs a dime, as both of you know. The reason brass cost is 0000. I suggest you buy from a different source, because your frugal buying isn't quite "frugal" enough... Hell, I bought some BR4 benchrest primers last year for $30.00/1000 and that was in your state. I had to buy 5,000 of those from the gal that runs that shop... I'm frugal too, when it comes to handloading, but I know there are guys out there that are far more so. Rost probably being one of them...

I am confused, help me.

At .025 for primers my current cost is 25.00 per thousand, which is 14% less than you paid.
My powder cost is 22 to 24 per lb. In recent years, even with 2.00 off, bi-mart is still more expensive.
My bullets cost 6.50 per hundred and that is far less than bi-mart.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Originally Posted by rost495
Running quick numbers taking a break from welding for ball ammo assuming you have your own brass, 15.5 cents per round. 155 a case of 1000 basically....

Rost, help me with the math
Brass=$.00
Powder=$.10
Primer=$.03
Bullets=$.??

How do you get to $.155 per round ?

My cost for reloading 223/5.56

Powder = $.081
Primer= $.025
Bullet = .065

My total round cost is $.171 per round

If some can load at $.155, I need to find out how to do it for less. And I thought I was as frugal as possible. To get to $.171 per round, I buy my Horanady bullets in their 6,000 count box, powder in larger than normal amounts and buy primers at 50,000 per purchase.

Lennie, you are getting screwed, or you did your math wrong. You live near me, so this may hit home. You know bi-mart always has deals on reloading components. IE: $2.00 off reloading supplies (powder, bullets, primers). I bought primers for $29.00 a month ago when they were on sale. So that price rivals your price by just a small amount and I didn't have to buy 50,000. Either you are getting screwed big time or you did your math wrong. Your powder cost is high as well. Also, rost has been at this for a long azzed time. Rest assured he bought some of his components 30 years ago and he may be going by what it cost him back in the 80's. Also as far as brass goes, that chidt is free for the taking. Its littering our gravel pits and shooting ranges. That never costs a dime, as both of you know. The reason brass cost is 0000. I suggest you buy from a different source, because your frugal buying isn't quite "frugal" enough... Hell, I bought some BR4 benchrest primers last year for $30.00/1000 and that was in your state. I had to buy 5,000 of those from the gal that runs that shop... I'm frugal too, when it comes to handloading, but I know there are guys out there that are far more so. Rost probably being one of them...

I am confused, help me.

At .025 for primers my current cost is 25.00 per thousand, which is 14% less than you paid.
My powder cost is 22 to 24 per lb. In recent years, even with 2.00 off, bi-mart is still more expensive.
My bullets cost 6.50 per hundred and that is far less than bi-mart.

Where you getting your bullets from?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several things
I've noticed about Americans. In the stock market, the buy at the top than sell at the bottom and can't figure out why they lose money. When storm clouds appear on the horizon they feel the need for ammo. Guess what several million other guys reached the same conclusion. Buy in bulk every time you have the money, not when you feel the need.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

J
J
On GunBroker you can get your bullet cost down to 7-10 cents a round unless you want match and you can also get deals on bulk powder and primers I wouldn't pay that much to load match ammo you really need to find new sources

As far as the original question you can get great deals on ammo on GunBroker just look for ammo individuals are selling not companies and you can get loaded ammo extremely cheap I have a couple lots of loaded ammunition on there right now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently bought 4500 Hornady 68 BTHP bullets. I think they ran 17 cents each after delivery. With powder and primers, I guess 30 cents or so in each round. About the same price of loaded 55fmj. Naturally brass is pretty minor. I just got 3000 commercial brass for 110 shipped, so they can be reloaded a bunch. Anyway that is a recipe for cheap match-ish ammo.
You can get 55 grain JHP from Hornady or remington at about 10 cents, and it will still be cheaper and fly a lot straighter than bulk FMJ.
Anyway those components are hard to come by now, so wait a bit and but bulk bullets when they get back in stock.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by arkypete
Several things
I've noticed about Americans. In the stock market, the buy at the top than sell at the bottom and can't figure out why they lose money. When storm clouds appear on the horizon they feel the need for ammo. Guess what several million other guys reached the same conclusion. Buy in bulk every time you have the money, not when you feel the need.

Word!

Sam......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 52 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,488
Posts18,452,058
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.