Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cgr1971 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I want to pick up some bulk ammo for my AR, 1000 - 2000 rounds. I'm undecided on loading my own or just buying some loaded ammo. I would prefer to buy already loaded ammo so I don't have to load them all, but am willing to load if I can't find some loaded at a reasonable price.

I don't want steel, I want to be able to reload them after I fire them. I know all the big name places like Midway, Midsouth and so on, but are there any small sellers that maybe reload once fired Lake City brass and sell the ammo?

ARIC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good luck in finding some now. Your best bet would probably be a gun show, but most of those are not opening right now, or so I've been told. I do know that Midsouth is out of bulk 223.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
PSA is completely out of 5.56. Only has high dollar .223.
That's what it looks like everywhere right now.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Load your own. There is a sense of self accomplishment in it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
C
cgr1971 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
It looks like unlucky coincidence for me that everything is out of stock. I've had my first AR build parts around for a while and finally got around to assembling it.

No sense of accomplishment for me, just lots of time spent doing something I would rather not have to do.

I load everything though and have 223 dies and a thrower, so I might have to break down and do it.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You can still get bullets, primers and powder.

Not sure for how much longer that will be the case.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yep, your option is to load and the way. things normally go in times like this you BETTER get the bullets/ etc.... NOW....

I have a feeling working on my 458 and 284 as I go along this spring for guiding this fall could be stupid.... though they are oddball calibers at least.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
At this point, if I were dry I'd pick up some M855, M193, or even some steel case if that's what I could find.

Probably a day late and a dollar short, for the current rodeo.

Then follow up with some handloading as you can.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have over 15,000 small rifle primers, at least 2000 pieces of brass, most likely more, and probably double that in bullets that I could load for the 223. I also have a Hornady Lock and Load press. But, I rarely load anything for the 223 but my hunting loads. I like the military style ammo, because I figure I can buy it cheaper than I can reload it, and I figure it should have a longer shelf life than reloads, as I don't apply a primer sealant to mine.

Of course, if push came to shove, I would reload.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm not quite sure what the price would be if it were cheaper to buy ball than reload.

I have not priced stuff in a long time in bulk. But primers by the case and surplus powder when there was powder, and bulk bullets, of course not counting labor of love time, but components have always been cheaper than ammo. Brass case being one of the high dollar items... Times may have changed

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Running quick numbers taking a break from welding for ball ammo assuming you have your own brass, 15.5 cents per round. 155 a case of 1000 basically....

C
cgr1971 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
At this point, if I were dry I'd pick up some M855, M193, or even some steel case if that's what I could find.

All my hunting guns are bolt actions. I Learned to reload at a very young age and basically started with handloaded ammuntion for my first centerfire and have been loading for them ever since. I've honestly never bought a box of factory centerfire ammo, which is why I didn't know all the places to look for bulk ammo.

I'm new to AR's and factory ammunition so I don't know what M855 or M193 is or what ball ammo means. I know, it sounds like I'm clueless, I just never paid any attention to the AR stuff.

Last edited by cgr1971; 03/17/20.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't shoot ball ammo because ball projectiles are innaccurate enough to bother me.

IIRC 193 is 55 fmj. 855 is 62 fmj. All I can recall over the years is supposedly 62s tended to be a bit more accurate as long as you were not shooting the penetrator ones and if you weight sorted them you could actually shoot MOA or under at 100. FWIW.

Nothing different to speak of from loading for a bolt and a good AR. We use bushing neck/FL Redding dies and size 2-4thou under fired size or chamber size. Never an issue. A buddy has shot neck sized for up to 5 firings before FL sizing in his ARs for years.

Since I have an issue where I want a do it all round when I'm away from the house for the wife, we are currently using 50 TTSX since she has a short barrel she carries in the vehicle/and on the farm. If it were 20 or longer we would be running 62 ttsx hands down as do it all.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by cgr1971
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

All my hunting guns are bolt actions. I Learned to reload at a very young age and basically started with handloaded ammuntion for my first centerfire and have been loading for them ever since. I've honestly never bought a box of factory centerfire ammo, which is why I didn't know all the places to look for bulk ammo.

I'm new to AR's and factory ammunition so I don't know what M855 or M193 is or what ball ammo means. I know, it sounds like I'm clueless, I just never paid any attention to the AR stuff.

M885 - this is the military load with the 62gr green tip projectile, with steel penetrator tip.

M193 - this is the military load with the 55gr full metal jacket.

In normal times, they are usually abundant, and reasonably priced for some 'rainy day' ammo, before this last rush, around $150 for a can of 420 rounds.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd say your best bet is to wait. You've been without the AR for forever, so you aren't missing it. Good deals on bulk ammo are going to be down the road a ways, maybe not until the end of summer.

If you're itching to try it I'd reload some.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by rost495
Running quick numbers taking a break from welding for ball ammo assuming you have your own brass, 15.5 cents per round. 155 a case of 1000 basically....

Rost, help me with the math
Brass=$.00
Powder=$.10
Primer=$.03
Bullets=$.??

How do you get to $.155 per round ?

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 03/20/20.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

Brass=$.00
Powder=$.10
Primer=$.03
Bullets=$.??

My cost for reloading 223/5.56

Powder = $.081
Primer= $.025
Bullet = .065

My total round cost is $.171 per round

If some can load at $.155, I need to find out how to do it for less. And I thought I was as frugal as possible. To get to $.171 per round, I buy my Horanady bullets in their 6,000 count box, powder in larger than normal amounts and buy primers at 50,000 per purchase.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Lennie
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

Brass=$.00
Powder=$.10
Primer=$.03
Bullets=$.??

My cost for reloading 223/5.56

Powder = $.081
Primer= $.025
Bullet = .065

My total round cost is $.171 per round

If some can load at $.155, I need to find out how to do it for less. And I thought I was as frugal as possible. To get to $.171 per round, I buy my Horanady bullets in their 6,000 count box, powder in larger than normal amounts and buy primers at 50,000 per purchase.

Lennie, you are getting screwed, or you did your math wrong. You live near me, so this may hit home. You know bi-mart always has deals on reloading components. IE: $2.00 off reloading supplies (powder, bullets, primers). I bought primers for $29.00 a month ago when they were on sale. So that price rivals your price by just a small amount and I didn't have to buy 50,000. Either you are getting screwed big time or you did your math wrong. Your powder cost is high as well. Also, rost has been at this for a long azzed time. Rest assured he bought some of his components 30 years ago and he may be going by what it cost him back in the 80's. Also as far as brass goes, that chidt is free for the taking. Its littering our gravel pits and shooting ranges. That never costs a dime, as both of you know. The reason brass cost is 0000. I suggest you buy from a different source, because your frugal buying isn't quite "frugal" enough... Hell, I bought some BR4 benchrest primers last year for $30.00/1000 and that was in your state. I had to buy 5,000 of those from the gal that runs that shop... I'm frugal too, when it comes to handloading, but I know there are guys out there that are far more so. Rost probably being one of them...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Like L train said brass is free or you can find it cheap.. I was picking it up at our local range until homless folks with cars were driving out their cleaning it all up selling it for scrap to support whatever chitty habit they need to support. Anyhow you can pick up a 1lbs jugs of RL15 $30-$33 a llb. Alaska prices if you shop around you can pick up 1k primers from $29-$36 or if you are lucky catch them on sale. Bullets if you are content with 55gr fmj you can pick them up/well I can for $10.59 per hundred so $106. 4lbs of rl15 $120 my cost up here works out to .26 a round for me.... miss lower 48 prices you guys pay.. I have no idea what a lb of powder is going for down their now days.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Wolf Gold shoots better than any other bulk ammo I've used, and that's in no less than 6 different make/models of AR and at least 3000 rounds down range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.