Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Have any of you tried the 130 gr. TTSX in .30-06? I used 150 gr. TTSX in .30-06 this past season with really good results. Just curious as to what the 130 would do.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, we've run the 130 T and TTSX from a 30-06 a lot. It is great medicine. Run it faster, then step on it to make it go faster yet. It is an amazing killer at ranges from shoestring to 435 yards. Have never recovered one yet but they've always done plenty of damage.

We have started experimenting with the 110 and now 120 black tips meant for the Blackout, only run hot and fast from an -06. So far, they are impressive. Open up wider than the TTSX, yet do all the same great penetration. They for sure leave larger exit wounds than the 130. The 120 will probably be our go-to bullet for awhile unless something more amazing comes along. I like wide wound channels that run deep from a monometal. The 120 gives that and shoots flat too.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
120 black tip. Good info. Bet that will work great.

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jeffbird
.308 Win
130 Barnes TTSX 3080 MV

Basically, that's a short action 270 Winchester.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Reloder28
.308 Win
130 Barnes TTSX 3080 MV

Amazed you haven't been flamed, making that statement... laugh

But functionally speaking, pretty close to those ballistics.

DF

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by fldoghunter
I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the 130 TTSX in my 308. Shot my 5th or 6th deer with them the other day and I just can't get blood trails. they shoot great in my Montana, tear up the insides, always pass through, but very little if any blood. if deer always fell like yours did I wouldn't worry about it, but i'm afraid i'm going to leave one in the woods at some point. I shot one the other day and wasn't entirely sure of the shot. It was a quick off hand shot on a buck I walked up on. I couldn't find blood at all. when I did find the deer, he had only gone 40 yards, but into some thick stuff. He was quartering to me and the bullet entered barely in front of the shoulder, just clipping the blade. It exited about the back of his lungs and tore him all up on the inside. Just no blood on the ground.

I hate tracking in the thick thorn brush where I hunt.

The thorns are very unpleasant and the rattlesnakes are even more unpleasant. Even worse, the rattlers can crawl up into the brush and trees well off the ground.

So, I pick and choose shots to try for DRT. It is not magic, just some basic anatomy.

Some years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot lots of does, shooting up to 30 in a single day.

That experience revealed some very reliable shot placement points to reliably drop animals where they stand.

Shots high into the thorax typically have blood draining into the chest cavity and they can run 50 - 100 yards.

Shots low, such as low behind the front leg will allow blood to drain out, but again allow them to run for 7 or 8 seconds and they can cover quite a bit of ground in that short time.

Shots that cut an artery or major vein, such as placement to the base of the neck, will produce blood, and better yet, cut the CNS, which is the guaranteed way to drop them where they stand.

I'll put together a new thread with shot placement soon with photos showing the placement I use and have found to work.

I don't know where you're hunting specifically but t must be close to me. Same thing I face, thick spiny brush and lots of damn Diamonbacks. But for white tail I use my .270 Win. with a 130 grain SGK. That combo has yet to fail me. Running 'em at 3100 it knocks 'em off their feet. Most I've killed with it are DRT. Leave the fancy bullets for bigger animals, deer don't need it. Every time I've had to trapse off into the snake pit was when I got fancy and thought I'd try such and such bullet because all the kool kids said so. I finally learned to quit listening.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Filaman,

near Cotulla in La Salle County. Which county are you hunting?

To me, the TTSX is not a "fancy" bullet, but one that works very consistently on deer and pigs.

The TTSX's always enter regardless of the angle, and always exit regardless of the angle.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Jeffbird....what a great looking buck that is. Never seen one with hocks stained up that much.

One of my more-carried rifles the last few years has been a Rem 7KS in .300SAUM...very light. I tried the 130 TTSX's a few years ago & found they shot well.....and they shot fast, pretty close to 3300fps. Killed 3 deer with 'em so far; 2 of 'em dropped in their tracks, the other made it a couple of steps. Despite the speed, not really any excessive meat damage either.

going to make it a point to work up some .308 loads for that same bullet now.

congrats on that hunt.

G~

============================================================

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Filaman,

To me, the TTSX is not a "fancy" bullet, but one that works very consistently on deer and pigs.

The TTSX's always enter regardless of the angle, and always exit regardless of the angle.

Filaman,

'

Whatever works for you you need to keep doing it. Great buck there.

You're right in the middle of South Texas Brush Country. I'm probably175 miles to the North-Northwest of you. I'm in Calhoun County. We have some nice deer around here but not what you'll find where you're hunting. You're in deer heaven dude! Around Cotula are some of the best racks in the U.S.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
.308 Win
130 Barnes TTSX 3080 MV

DF

That puts the 270 in pretty good company.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
.308 Win
130 Barnes TTSX 3080 MV

DF

That puts the 270 in pretty good company.

Yeah.

Nothing "gay" about that... grin

DF

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Yes, we've run the 130 T and TTSX from a 30-06 a lot. It is great medicine. Run it faster, then step on it to make it go faster yet. It is an amazing killer at ranges from shoestring to 435 yards. Have never recovered one yet but they've always done plenty of damage.

We have started experimenting with the 110 and now 120 black tips meant for the Blackout, only run hot and fast from an -06. So far, they are impressive. Open up wider than the TTSX, yet do all the same great penetration. They for sure leave larger exit wounds than the 130. The 120 will probably be our go-to bullet for awhile unless something more amazing comes along. I like wide wound channels that run deep from a monometal. The 120 gives that and shoots flat too.

DD,

Thanks for the info. That is pretty much what I expected. If the 130’s are good in a .308, they should be even better in a .30-06. Since I do not currently hand load, I will hold out hope that Barnes will start loading some factory .30-06 in 130 gr. TTSX’s. Until then, I will keep on shooting the 150’s. I certainly can’t complain about the results thus far.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Very nice buck

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They grow 'em big down in S. TX. I've seen some monsters around San Angelo way.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Filaman
Filaman,

Filaman,

'

u
Whatever works for you you need to keep doing it. Great buck there.

You're right in the middle of South Texas Brush Country. I'm probably175 miles to the North-Northeast of you. I'm in Calhoun County. We have some nice deer around here but not what you'll find where you're hunting. You're in deer heaven dude! Around Cotula are some of the best racks in the U.S.

There, I fixed it. I originally said North-Northwest of you, which would put me in Northern Mexico just below El Paso, LOL! I had a case of Cerebral Flatulence.

Last edited by Filaman; 03/15/20.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW there were comments on the 270. I don't care for it BUT a friends dad before he died, had bad vision and getting old and loved to hunt.

So I moved his 270 from factory to 150 SST. Then to 130 SST. Finally we still had issues of him with bad hits and having to use the dog and sometimes just not hit well enough.

Moved to 95 TTSX and humped it decently for speed considering he had one of those semi Remingtons.

We never lost a deer after that. Even gut shot deer rarely made 100 yards( they usually don't but people go looking WAY to soon and bump em from the first bed... another story) but we could almost always see his blind or parts of it from where the deer fell.

To top it off they don't destroy that much edible meat.

Just got back from trailing a javelina I shot at a bit over 700 yards in south TX brush. I LOVE following those trails though. Thorns and such and its an intricate fun puzzle but I understand that folks want bang flops there and other places. Don't want to deal with the trailing issues and afraid of loosing the animal too.

I'd almost think our biggest body TX deer may well be Canadian River deer. Biggest I had S Texas was something around 225 live weight with a 27 inch neck.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So Barnes TTSX bullets kill efficiently even with bad shot placement. Gotta remember that one. confused

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/17/20.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you have never seen speed assist with shots to far back you have not seen many I suspect. Which is a good thing really.

The ONLY reason I know this to be true, and it will be true even without TTSX ( I'm not sure what exactly your point on this post is...) is due to a "dumb" old codger and his 220 swift. Forgot more about hunting than most ever knew. Saw some of his grandkids make bad hits but they were using smaller guns and hit flanks and bang flop. Heck I've heard more than a few tales even with 270s and light bullets like this.

So who we affectionately called Fred Bear, striking resemblance, quit making his arrows and knapping his heads.

He picked up his 220 and started loading fast light bullets and since he had a good dog, started to experiment. Flank shots. Ends up that was the only place he ever shot deer until his death. Gutless cleaning method. And while I was along to see more than a few, I have it on family word that I trust, that he never had a deer get up or do anything but fall at the shot. I find that part about 100% hard to believe, but I could certainly believe high 90%. About like the 257 wtby. While I've yet to have a deer fall to that round, I've rarely seen one go more than 20-40 steps or so though we have had some go 150 or so steps every now and then.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've killed/seen killed literally hundreds of big game animals, and I've never seen or been aware that speedy bullets help kill gut shot animals any better than non speedy bullets.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,732 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,550
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.