-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does anyone here have experience or know someone that has experience storing firearms in bubble wrap? The firearms will be kept in an occupied home with central air and heat.

Thanks!

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I wouldn't wrap them in bubble wrap, even with central air and heat, and for sure not in South Central TX..

I'd get treated gun socks to keep moisure from building up, lightly coat them with a good rust preventive. I like Ballistol.

Then, if I thought I needed additional bubble wrap protection, I'd use it over the gun sock.

DF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks DF. - T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For longer term storage I like Collectors rust preventative or Eesox and a heavy wax coating. Gun socks or a breathable gun case or open storage. Mine are in a non HVAC area and I get condensation issues if I don't run a heater during the cooler months. I am also trying Dyna Gun Coat or (Kote?) and it seems to be working well so far. I have about the same weather you do.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would also be concerned that the bubble wrap might melt or deteriorate due to some chemical that may be on the firearm. You could end up with a gooey mess.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldnt put them in anything. Gunstores leave the firearms out.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Buy some Eezox off of Ebay and coat your firearms as per the directions. It works great for me.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Not a good idea to wrap firearms in plastic for a long period - and bubble wrap is plastic. Reason? Plastic is non-porous and any atmospheric humidity present at the time of wrapping will be trapped inside the package thus promoting rust.
Better choice would be to store the firearms in a secured cabinet with a can or large packs of dessicant.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Birchwood Casey Barricade/Sheath or for longer term storage RIG and store in knit sleeve type cases.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the mid-90s, I remember seeing a Winchester Model 63 at Doc's in Pocatello that had been put away in mint condition and "protected" by Saran wrap. Completely screwed it up.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Another vote for not wrapping guns in plastic. Much better for them to be oiled and stored in open air in a gun cabinet, if possible.

Deteriorating polymers (as used in carpet, cheap holsters, gun socks, etc) can damage gun finishes as well. If you store guns in contact with that sort of thing, check them periodically.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Figure there is a reason military inventory is packed in grease before any sort of wrap is applied...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd stay away from bubble wrap...

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Figure there is a reason military inventory is packed in grease before any sort of wrap is applied...

And then they wrapped them in paper to keep the grease on the guns.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 3,188 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,528
Posts18,452,881
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.