Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Our daughter is deployed to Jordan with the Nat. Guard. We have her 2 Goldendoodles while she's gone and they've outlived their welcome. She has a 6 yo son who's staying with friends (very good friends I should add). She's supposed to be home in Aug. However, they might be bring the whole lot of them home early, like in the next couple of weeks, because of the spreading virus in that area. They would be held in TX for 4 weeks then released to go home as early as May. Our grandson would get his mom home again and we'd be rid of the dogs. That would be great.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hope so, my nephew finds out today how this will affect his stay here in San Antonio, flew in last weekend for three weeks training. Been great having him here, he was here for three months a year ago, was great having him here then.

Never met a "goldendoodle" worth anything, I believe this stems from the sort or non-functional individual dogs selected to make the cross rather than any inherent fault in the concept.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look at the bright side...if this gets really bad, Goldendoodles probably taste like chicken.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I never even liked a full blood poodle

Leaky black juice around their eye sockets, always munching like they have fleas, licking their ass so much it sounds like spoon plunging into mac n cheese.
Never knew one from personal experience that was not apeshît crazy, or nippy.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Look at the bright side...if this gets really bad, Goldendoodles probably taste like chicken.

Good post.

NRA Patron
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It never made sense to me for National guardsmen to be overseas...maybe I'm missing something?

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
It never made sense to me for National guardsmen to be overseas...maybe I'm missing something?

Are you serious? I'm in the Air Guard for last 20 years. Been deployed a total of about 4 years since 911. Guard is a huge part of the military's capability.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I despise this male GD. For some unknown reason, it hates men. He will come up to me to be petted when I'm sitting down but when I stand up I can't get near him. We have a laundry room with a dog door that goes into a fenced yard. When my wife isn't home, he lays in front of the dog door. When he hears me moving that direction, he jets out the door. Last month my wife was gone for a week. I didn't see him for a couple days at a time. He never got farther inside than the dog door except at night. His food was gone in the morning so I know he'd been in.
The final step came last week when we were on a trip to visit my SIL in WA. I'd taken him for a walk on a leash. When I got back and was trying to take the leash off, he went snakey. I was trying to hold him down and he got hold of my thumb and chewed it up. I was 'displeased' at the miserable SOB. I might lose the thumbnail and it hurts like crazy when I have to use the thumb. He's very lucky he's still alive.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think it was a good idea to take some of the load from the active military. Folks deploying 4, 5, 6 times take a toll on mind, body, and family.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eric1186
I think it was a good idea to take some of the load from the active military. Folks deploying 4, 5, 6 times take a toll on mind, body, and family.

It is and was but the Guard and Reserve has been in pretty much the same rotation as active duty since 9/11. I got off active duty in early 98 and between then and my retirement in mid 07 I was recalled and deployed 4 times to Kosovo and Iraq. Between those and regular support to exercises, weekend drills and the regular flying I accumulated 7 years more of active duty time. Wreaked havoc with home life and my regular job/career.

The Reserve/Guard hasn't been "weekend warriors" in a long time.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Boasting a service record predating the Revolutionary War and extending through every American military conflict, the National Guard served with distinction and honor in Vietnam. Although the majority of troops in Vietnam were "regulars," the National Guard played an important role, particularly from 1968-1969.

Army National Guard units mobilized to Vietnam included Kentucky's 2nd Battalion, 138th Artillery; Indiana's Company D (Ranger), 151st Infantry, which brought home 510 medals for valor and service; Hawaii's 29th Infantry Brigade; Kansas' 69th Infantry Brigade, with one infantry battalion from the Iowa Guard; California's 1st Squadron, 18th Armored Cavalry; New Hampshire's 3rd Battalion, 197th Artillery; and numerous engineer, postal, medical and support units.

The Air National Guard, flying F-100C Super Sabre fighter-bombers, dispatched four squadrons to Vietnam, with the first F-100s roaring into Phan Rang Air Base in late April 1968. Air Guard units included the 120th Colorado, 174th Iowa, 136th New York and the 188th New Mexico. These outstanding Air Guard units flew 24,124 combat sorties and accumulated 38,614 combat flying hours.

According to Gen. George S. Brown, testifying before Congress in 1973, prior to his confirmation as Air Force chief of staff, these four units were the best F-100 units in the Vietnam theater. Gen. Brown commanded the 7th Air Force in Vietnam and observed the Air National Guard in combat.

Also activated were the Air Guard F-101 Voodoo units that performed reconnaissance missions in temporary tours of duty around the world in 1968-1969. Air Guard airlift units also regularly flew supplies to Vietnam in support of the war effort.

By the time all was said and done, 101 National Guard soldiers, army and air, would never again see the United States.

Granted, most National Guard units did not go to Vietnam. Neither did a majority of active duty personnel. Many National Guard commanders prepared for expected activation in the early days of the war, but President Johnson decided against it. He didn't want to send a message around the world that America was declaring all-out war against Vietnam. Perhaps if Johnson had called up the National Guard in large numbers, the war might have taken a different turn and had the support of the American public.

Also often overlooked is the Army National Guard's role manning Nike missile anti-aircraft batteries and Air National Guard fighter interceptor units standing on 24-hour alert during the Vietnam era against the Cold War Soviet threat. Anti-war protests and racial tensions also saw the National Guard on duty throughout the Vietnam era.

I

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd be happier with the dogs than the kids.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it recoils when it barks, it’s NOT a dog!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I joined the Army guard in 70. Almost all the units were full but the Idaho 116th Engineers had been activated and they'd just got home from Nam. They had a lot of empty slots. Within a couple months after I enlisted, they were all up to max again. After AIT, I got a job in the opposite end of the state so I switched to the 116th Armed Cav where I spent the rest of my enlistment. All the units were at max and top heavy with higher ranking vets who'd come home from Nam. As a result, promotions were impossible. I spent 5 years as an E-4 because no E-5 slot ever opened up in that time. I went through NCO school and was an honor cadet but with no positions open, there were no promotions.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blairvt

Are you serious? I'm in the Air Guard for last 20 years. Been deployed a total of about 4 years since 911. Guard is a huge part of the military's capability.

Yes, I am... Please explain how it makes sense when we already have a military and reserves to enact oversea adventures that we would send 'National' Guardsmen.

Originally Posted by jnyork

Boasting a service record predating the Revolutionary War and extending through every American military conflict, the National Guard served with distinction and honor in Vietnam. Although the majority of troops in Vietnam were "regulars," the National Guard played an important role, particularly from 1968-1969.

Army National Guard units mobilized to Vietnam included Kentucky's 2nd Battalion, 138th Artillery; Indiana's Company D (Ranger), 151st Infantry, which brought home 510 medals for valor and service; Hawaii's 29th Infantry Brigade; Kansas' 69th Infantry Brigade, with one infantry battalion from the Iowa Guard; California's 1st Squadron, 18th Armored Cavalry; New Hampshire's 3rd Battalion, 197th Artillery; and numerous engineer, postal, medical and support units.

The Air National Guard, flying F-100C Super Sabre fighter-bombers, dispatched four squadrons to Vietnam, with the first F-100s roaring into Phan Rang Air Base in late April 1968. Air Guard units included the 120th Colorado, 174th Iowa, 136th New York and the 188th New Mexico. These outstanding Air Guard units flew 24,124 combat sorties and accumulated 38,614 combat flying hours.

According to Gen. George S. Brown, testifying before Congress in 1973, prior to his confirmation as Air Force chief of staff, these four units were the best F-100 units in the Vietnam theater. Gen. Brown commanded the 7th Air Force in Vietnam and observed the Air National Guard in combat.

Also activated were the Air Guard F-101 Voodoo units that performed reconnaissance missions in temporary tours of duty around the world in 1968-1969. Air Guard airlift units also regularly flew supplies to Vietnam in support of the war effort.

By the time all was said and done, 101 National Guard soldiers, army and air, would never again see the United States.

Granted, most National Guard units did not go to Vietnam. Neither did a majority of active duty personnel. Many National Guard commanders prepared for expected activation in the early days of the war, but President Johnson decided against it. He didn't want to send a message around the world that America was declaring all-out war against Vietnam. Perhaps if Johnson had called up the National Guard in large numbers, the war might have taken a different turn and had the support of the American public.

Also often overlooked is the Army National Guard's role manning Nike missile anti-aircraft batteries and Air National Guard fighter interceptor units standing on 24-hour alert during the Vietnam era against the Cold War Soviet threat. Anti-war protests and racial tensions also saw the National Guard on duty throughout the Vietnam era.

I

TY for the history lesson, but none of that answers or explains away what I said, would you like to attempt that this time?

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Columbia River system is plagued with sea lions eating massive numbers of migrating salmon. Several states are plagued with feral horses. If this epidemic causes widespread food shortages, we need to spread the word that sea lions and horses are very tasty. Both problems would be solved.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
AGreed. I've always thought the best place for a horse was cut, wrapped and IN the freezer... (oh, I'll catch hell for THAT one... ) laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by blairvt

Yes, I am... Please explain how it makes sense when we already have a military and reserves to enact oversea adventures that we would send 'National' Guardsmen.

Originally Posted by jnyork

I

TY for the history lesson, but none of that answers or explains away what I said, would you like to attempt that this time?

How about, because the people we elect and send to DC refuse to allocate funds sufficient to maintain a "regular Army" sufficient to cover our needs. That leaves the activation of guard units as the only alternative.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

When and where did you serve? What branch of the military are/were you a member of?
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
198 members (300jimmy, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 01Foreman400, 18 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.