-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
FBI Threatens Shutdown of Gun Purchase Background Checks as Massive Surge in Sales Creates Backlog

A 300% spike in gun purchases has overwhelmed the FBI office in charge of the National Instant Background Criminal Background Check System, leading to them considering temporarily shutting down in some areas.
A shutdown of the system would stop or delay new gun sales.

“As the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Section works through the impact of the COVID-19 operationally, we are working to maintain our services. We are aware that states may be considering options to protect the health and safety of their employees, which may include a reduction in office availability or even closure to some offices,” the FBI office said in a statement.

The Washington Examiner reports that the National Shooting Sports Foundation said checks surged 300% on Monday, after already hitting historic highs all year.

“Monday, March 16, 2020, the NICS staff experienced over a 300% increase compared to this same time period in 2019. As we’ve seen in the past with other national events, our citizens often seek to exercise their Second Amendment rights during times of uncertainty,” the NSSF said.

The NSSF statement continued on to say that “according to NICS, there are delays in the system due to an astronomical volume of transactions over the last several days. While much of the NICS System is automated and yields an immediate ‘proceed’ or ‘deny’ determination, transactions that result in a delayed status require the work of NICS examiners to investigate whether the transaction should be approved or not. With daily volumes roughly double that of last year, the NICS team is unable to begin investigations on all delays within three business days, creating a backlog in the delayed checks.”

The organization continued on to say that some states and agencies are “considering options to protect the health and safety of their employees, which may include a reduction in staff or a temporary closure.”

The NSSF also warned that the Brady transfer date after a sale may now be extended beyond the three business days that it normally takes.

“The three business day timeframe does not begin until relevant state offices are open for business,” the statement continued. “Additionally, because of the dramatic increase in volume, it is important to recognize FBI staff may not be able to begin their research on delayed transactions as they normally would. Therefore, you may want to consider waiting on a definitive response from the NICS before opting to proceed with a sale on any delayed transaction. We are operating during exceptional and uncertain times, so you may wish to consider implementing temporary changes in order to safeguard yourself and your business. However, please note that when state offices are closed it does not constitute a ‘business day’ for purposes of calculating the “three business days” period before an FFL may transfer a firearm to a non-licensee as mandated by the Brady Act.”

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10 days of darkness....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll believe that as much as all of the facebook posts getting censored was a "bug".

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now is when it's good to have a CC. With some permits, they dont have to do the background check. Just pay for it and walk out the door.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My cousin is an FFL and he got an email from the ATF yesterday stating the 300% increase in gun sales over last year.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Any idiot who isn't already armed is probably somebody who has had their brains turned to schitt by leftism a long time ago.

I don't want those stupid bastards to have guns,.....so as for me, it all works out.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I wish I had a pile of chink AKs w/ mags and ammo with which to gouge the affluent who plan poorly. Deja Vu all over again.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
IDGAF. As already stated, folks who just now figured out a gun might be a good thing to have are those who least need to be armed during a time of stress and trouble.

Inexperience kills, sometimes the inexperienced person, sometimes someone else. Hey, it’s their right, and I despise government having anything at all to say about if, what, or when I can own. But they do, people have let them, and I have had to deal with the bullshit. So now they can too.

Should have thought about that when they couldn’t be bothered to defend a right, or just outright rejected gun ownership as a right to begin with. I cannot dredge up the slightest inkling of sympathy.

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 03/18/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All those people who voted against guns, wearing anti gun t-shirts, carried anti-gun signs...

Now buying guns and ammo.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A gun gives a person a safe feeling!

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Waiting for my check first.

I am MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

435 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 35 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.