Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
If you have the above rifle combination would like to hear from you. I had an 85 in .270 that had problems, but I returned it and Beretta gave me a refund. I have seen many comments about only long actions having ejection problems. I would appreciate any feedback from 85 WSM owners. Thank you,

BP-B6

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tag

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gramps, are you really that much of a gluten for punishment? You do realize there are more damn rifles out there than Sako. I for one have told you about my buddies finnlight chambered in 300WSM. It has problems with ejection. Those are typical with that model. Buy a Tikka. They are better and cost less.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
With all the great bolt action rifles chambered in .300 WSM available Why even take the chance? I would shop for one of the many designs that don't have a history of issues but if your heart is set on a Sako 85 I had a model 85 Finnlight chambered in .300 WSM that if you mounted the scope high it ejected OK but I also had a model 85 Finnlight chambered in .270 Win that would eject a spent case straight up into the bottom of the scope no matter how high you mounted it, I sent it back to Beretta and they said the rifle was in spec and basically told me to go pound sand, so you was lucky to get a refund.....best of luck...Hb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a finnlight in 300 wsm that ejected fine

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This is still a problem that evidently Sako refuses to acknowledge. Its the positioning of the ejector and the angle it kicks out cases. Cases would hit the windage turret on my .204 and a 30-06. Both were wickedly accurate but both were sent down the road. Slow-mo's were posted here and on U Tube.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/18/20.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM has ejected perfectly thru every one of its 430 rounds fired. It feeds like butter & ejects like butter. The scope is mounted on medium height Talley’s to facilitate my carrying the rifle by the scope tube. I don’t use slings. I could easily choose it as primary over my other 8 rifles. I can remove the scope as often as I like and it goes right back to zero. I have removed the stock several times, worked the barreled action over for maintenance & it returned to zero each time. Has been 100 % reliable through all of its use. Bought it in 2009.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm a 300wsm whore, but never heard of this issue. Following.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Had a 85 270 WSM that would hit scope bottom every time. Sometimes would end up back in the action but backwards. Scope wasn’t overly low. Used optilocks. Also have 270 win, 30-06 and 7rm. Only one that doesn’t hit the scope is the 7rm.

So 3 out of 4 of mine hit the scope.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Horseman
Had a 85 270 WSM that would hit scope bottom every time. Sometimes would end up back in the action but backwards. Scope wasn’t overly low. Used optilocks. Also have 270 win, 30-06 and 7rm. Only one that doesn’t hit the scope is the 7rm.

Its just a poorly designed system. Anyone that swears they have never had or seen issues with these is living in a leupy fantasy land.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Well I guess that I have been sufficiently chastised, and rightly so. The 85 is like a good looking sexy woman sitting all alone in the local bar. You have had a few too many, so you take the chance in hopes of finding her friendly, and hopefully willing. However, you don't know what baggage goes along with the whole package. Hell, the next morning she ain't quite as fine as you thought the night before, and she could be down right ugly, and bitchy. So I will leave her sleeping, get my clothes on, and quietly exit from room 85 of the Sako hotel. Thanks to all who slapped me back to reality, and I shall never mention her or stray again. No fool like an old fool. A good day to all! P.S. I have already bought a Win 70 Extreme Weather in 300WSM and the same in .270 Win. Just can't forget how sexy that 85 looks and feels. They weigh more than the 85 and they have the Bell and Carlson 2x4's on them, but they will eject the hell out of a live or spent round even with low rings. Old, but not in the home yet.

Last edited by Gramps2; 03/19/20.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I don’t blame you Gramps — I had an 85 Finnlight in 270 win that had the ejection problem. Sent it down the road but that rifle shot so well and fit me so well I am still tempted to try and get one again.

Last edited by elkrazy; 03/19/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Horseman

Its just a poorly designed system. Anyone that swears they have never had or seen issues with these is living in a leupy fantasy land.

I thought I saw someone posted that there’s a fix to this problem? An ejector spring or something??

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The only real "fix" is to redesign the action with the ejector in the proper (and obvious) location.

Some have apparently managed to make some rifles function with a "kluge" accomplished by playing with ejector springs.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If you want a Sako 85 so bad, buy a Fierce custom. You get the benefits of the 85 without the vexation of the poorly designed ejector location. Problem solved.

I would have had mine not worked out.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
You made an excellent choice Gramps, enjoy your Winchesters, they should be excellent rifles 👍....Good hunting....Hb

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Reloder28
If you want a Sako 85 so bad, buy a Fierce custom. You get the benefits of the 85 without the vexation of the poorly designed ejector location. Problem solved.

Just curious, but what has Fierce done differently? Is their ejector in a different location? Thanks!

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Alex38
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Just curious, but what has Fierce done differently? Is their ejector in a different location? Thanks!

Nope.....Hb

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My Finnlight 300wsm was a jammer, I bought it used. Bullet shoulder had a nice dent in it.
Good thing my son’s first shot at a moose was through the heart.
Got rid of it this year.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gramps2
Well I guess that I have been sufficiently chastised, and rightly so. The 85 is like a good looking sexy woman sitting all alone in the local bar. You have had a few too many, so you take the chance in hopes of finding her friendly, and hopefully willing. However, you don't know what baggage goes along with the whole package. Hell, the next morning she ain't quite as fine as you thought the night before, and she could be down right ugly, and bitchy. So I will leave her sleeping, get my clothes on, and quietly exit from room 85 of the Sako hotel. Thanks to all who slapped me back to reality, and I shall never mention her or stray again. No fool like an old fool. A good day to all! P.S. I have already bought a Win 70 Extreme Weather in 300WSM and the same in .270 Win. Just can't forget how sexy that 85 looks and feels. They weigh more than the 85 and they have the Bell and Carlson 2x4's on them, but they will eject the hell out of a live or spent round even with low rings. Old, but not in the home yet.

I still would have bought a Tikka superlite over the ew. Any day of the week. Especially if you like Sako's. At least the Tikka is going to function properly...and it's a whole lot less expensive...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
471 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 45 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.