Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking closely at a 1640 I found several days ago. Supposedly, it's in a McMillan, but the seller cannot confirm this (not sure which McMillan). The starting bid is $599.00 and no one has bid on it yet. Seems to be in great condition. Epoxy bedding is said to be excellent. Weighs 7.4 lbs. w/ rings but no scope, which is a bit heavy, but not too bad. I understand that the 1640 is one of the better 98-type actions made. I thought the 1640 came with a 24" barrel but this one has a 20" barrel, which is confusing - I guess it could be a replacement barrel, but it looks original. Caliber is .270. What say you?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by High_Noon; 03/17/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's a McMillan stock worth at least $400.00

Very good buy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That stock must be heavy as hell.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
20” .270? Reasonably sure been cut, not that it’s the end of the world, but.

Going rebarrel or double ear pro?

Other than that, sounds good; stock and action desirable at the pricepoint.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just the Mauser action and McMillan stock are easily worth that. And if it shoots well, you could do a lot worse.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
BUY IT!!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. I knew it was a good deal, but I'm not sure why someone would cut it down to 20." And I agree that the stock must be really heavy - a rig like this should weigh about 7.5 lbs all up. Still, hard to pass up at this price.

Thanks Ken, I knew you'd chime in w/ that exact bit of advice. eek

Last edited by High_Noon; 03/18/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I've owned several 20" 1640s that are all original, and handled dozens more. Check gunbroker, gunsinternational, and gunsamerica--you'll see a lot of them. Most of them came in a very trim walnut stock with a Schnable fore end.

20" is kinda short for a .270 but as others have pointed out, either the action or the stock are worth close to the asking price.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I agree that 20" is short for a .270. I guess I could eventual re-barrel to .280 or AI.

- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is a McM Hunter style stock, probably the original Sako Hunter style, worth at least $500 at today's prices. If I was in the market for that rifle, even if I was only buying it to rebarrel it, I think that $599 makes it a very good value.

I have the same stock on my matched pair of Husqvarna 8000s in 256 Newton and 338-06, plus a dozen or more McM Hunter style stocks on Remington, Ruger, and Weatherby rifles.

I have several Husqvarnas with mannlicher style stocks and 20.75" barrels. The muzzle blast is there, but not noticeable in the field when you're concentrating on put lead on target within the next couple of seconds.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
That looks like a great rifle! Mine, with factory wood stock, weighs less but the barrel could very well be unmodified. Mine is 20" from front of action to muzzle but 20.75" if you measure with cleaning rod-muzzle to bolt face. If I was re-barreling my 270, I might go longer but really have no complaints the way it is.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Looking at my notes, my wood-stock version (.270) with Weaver mounts and 4X Leupold, light leather sling goes 7#6oz

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
260Remguy: Thanks - good to know it's likely a McMillan Hunter. I wonder what the weight of the stock alone is? I would think around 36 oz, but I doubt the barreled action is 5 lbs. And I agree that it would be a good value if I can get it for around the starting bid price.

LEAD: Yep, it does look like a great rifle - I think it would be better if it had a 24" barrel, though.

- Del Gue
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
High Noon,

For what it is worth.....Husqvarna did make 1640/1600 action rifles with the 52cm (20.5") barrels. When they were sold in North America here (assuming the one you are looking at isn't a cut down 1640 standard) they were advertised as being 6 lbs. 6 oz. with a walnut straight comb stock, 6 lbs. 8 oz. with a walnut Monte Carlo stock. They also sold just the barreled actions as well, which were advertised as 4 lbs. 10 oz. These weights would have been with the aluminum alloy trigger guard though. I don't know how much difference that would make without stripping down some rifles and getting out the scales. I can't remember off hand what year they changed to aluminum trigger guards. I like the steel bottom metal personally for durability sake. As to the stock make and model I can't help on that one. In any event good luck with the rifle if you decide to purchase.

Regards,
sixfive

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
sixfive: Thanks, based upon your information, the weight of this particular 1640 is probably about right.

- Del Gue
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's my 1640 story. Very light weight, accurate rifle.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8948791/1

DF

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow great deal man I’d be all over that very cool rig.

Rebarrel to 22” .280 or ‘06 and rock on!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
DF: Very nicely done. The ejector notch patch is barely visible after your refinish and the re-cut checkering turned out quite nice. I guess the McM stock housing the 1640 I posted about is quite heavy, which surprises me, but I'm no McMillan expert.

- Del Gue
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by High_Noon
DF: Very nicely done. The ejector notch patch is barely visible after your refinish and the re-cut checkering turned out quite nice. I guess the McM stock housing the 1640 I posted about is quite heavy, which surprises me, but I'm no McMillan expert.

Thanks,

It was a neat project. The gun is very light, so I loaded 130 gr Hornady bullets (not the varmint version), which have proven to be great WT killers. At 3,100 fps, they hit hard and exit with lots of internal damage. I mostly chest shoot deer to save the meat. For local hunting, no real long shots, it's about ideal. I have some 125 NAB's I want to try.

I have other rifles to reach way out.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
DF: Have you tried Partitions?

- Del Gue
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 47 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,499
Posts18,452,455
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.