Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by nealglen37
People that do live in a rural area (that do have at least 1 acre of land, and do not have a garden, chickens, or something..................would not know how to butcher a deer. I think people may years ago might kill small animals, but very few killed large animals in summer. They had no way of preserving the meat. That's why people butchered animals, or harvested big game in the fall and winter months when they could smoke and cure it. I have cleaned deer in September when the weather was close to 100...............most could not do it. The smell, the flies, the filth at the same time your shirt is soaked with swat.You also have to cool the meat before it goes bad. I can live off beans and rice until cool weather were I could take care of something properly........wow......that was quite the rant I went on.
Bullshyt.. There's one household on my road {very rural} that has chickens and maybe a third that grow a garden. The road is about 6 miles long and has 12 residences on it. I know most of them pretty well and some very well. All but three are hunters and know very well how to butcher deer and other game. Two that may not are city transplants and don't hunt. The other is a retired veterinarian who also used to raise beef cattle so I'm pretty sure he'd be fine butchering deer.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Poaching is disgusting- - - -it ruins the taste of the meat. I prefer frying, baking, or BBQ!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Poaching is disgusting- - - -it ruins the taste of the meat. I prefer frying, baking, or BBQ!
Jerry

Exactly

Originally Posted by nealglen37
Just make sure you don't poach and eats BATS!!!!!!!

I do believe that poaching the bats kills the virus. Bat sashimi/tartar, so to speak, is the big no-no.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

There used to be a restaurant locally that served a steak poached in clarified butter and finished on a grill.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Must not be too bad, saw three fresh road killed deer this morning and no one was stopping to pick them up.

CK
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Must not be too bad, saw three fresh road killed deer this morning and no one was stopping to pick them up.

Neighbors who abut my backyard are asian. When I stop hearing their idiot stupid moronic black lab barking, Maybe I'll begin to worry.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A father who was trying to feed his hungry children....................would not care what random people on an internet forum thought about his actions. "son"......."I would like to feed you".....but I'm not sure if those people on the campfire would still like me.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Legally speaking—the Gov’t does Not own the deer!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grandson is raising a pig to auction off at the spring show. If they cancel the show he's already offered his pig to feed the family.

What a good boy eh?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don’t think that harvesting a hog is “poaching”! However, some my have reservations about “how” I feed my hogs! Just saying! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hummmm... anybody seen my box of spotted owl helper ?

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One nice thing I've discovered about getting older is that I don't care about the opinions of others nearly as much as I used to. If I need to kill out of season to feed my family, I will and with the exception of the law, I don't care who has a problem with it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dale06

In the first place, there is plenty of food in the USA to feed its people. There may be a day or three where there is not the meat or what ever you want on the shelf. But relax, there is food.

I Won’t need to shoot any of the deer that are on my lawn, most days. But in the extreme odd case that I did, I won’t be checking here for approval.

Get a grip guys.

Best summation of the situation I have read yet. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cfran
You aren’t running out of food.

+1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
LOL yalls [bleep] needs wired a little tighter,, day what? 5-6? panic much? If you need it,harvest it if ya dont leave it be,, shake the sand out of your beavers and go fishing or read a book or somthing,,,

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hosfly
LOL yalls [bleep] needs wired a little tighter,, day what? 5-6? panic much? If you need it,harvest it if ya dont leave it be,, shake the sand out of your beavers and go fishing or read a book or somthing,,,

I don't hear anyone panicking, just tossing around a "what-if?".

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by hosfly

I don't hear anyone panicking, just tossing around a "what-if?".

Those that do not investigate the “what if’s”, are the ones most subject to panic! I kinda like the what if’s, it makes me explore the options needed to excel during a crisis! There are usually many ways to address a situation.....but, only one best way! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/19/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by slumlord
Isn’t blasting one off of a corn pile already poaching? Or strapped to front of some guide’s jeep bumper?

Illegal in some states, unethical to many, but poaching, not.

Oh, it's all semantics anyway.

Baiting might be considered by many here as "legalized" poaching.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by Whiptail

When should I start eating my neighbors?

Need pics before we can answer.

Yeah. No schit.

With the Golden Corral shut down, these people might start losing condition.

Yeah, wouldn't want all that good fat being used up to keep them alive and all.

Could be rendered down for candles and such. Greasing boots too, as once the winter gets here again the hoarders will clean the shelves of Obenauf's and SnoSeal.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Am not worried about meat in the least.

Honestly, w drive through and grocery still open, I'll adjust to not tap into my freezer.

I don't need to eat two venison or other critter steaks every meal.
In fact, I eat about twice a day.

And not that much. Could even get by with less.

Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,131
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.