Print Thread
Hop To
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Saw a nice one, 12 gauge, at a local auction, old, decent looking from the pics. So, I ventured out for a closer look. Looking at the outside, the barrel, action and forend (corn cob) look original, stock looks fine for the age.

However, the receiver, also in decent condition, looks like an add on. The main giveaway is the top of the receiver is somewhat worn and parkerized, and I sure don't think that was a factory finish back in the 1930's...Also, I think the serial # should be found on a few locations for that era, to include the bottom of the receiver, nothing there. Not very consistent with the beater I already have mfg'd the year before.

Looking at the barrel, looks to be some minor surface pitting, but still mostly shiny and clean, and it wouldn't bother me, except for the other issues.

If anyone has more detailed insight on this prospective purchase, would be most interested. The house will call me tomorrow, and I have to decide if I'll play...The bidding will start less than 2 bills, another indicator.

Thanks for any comments.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
First, I believe that the "corn cob" fore end would indicate post-war. Pre-war fore ends are small checkered.
The 30's and early 40's have a smooth finish on the top of the receiver while post-war has the rough (phosphate like) finish.
Serial number is on the front face of the receiver. I'm not aware of the serial number anywhere else.
I'm only able to reference 20 gauge guns that are 1941, 1946 and 1949 vintage.
You can verify the age using the serial number.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Pre 855,000 guns should have serial number on front of receiver and on the barrel as they were hand fitted. don't know when the corn cob forend started or ended. I have a 16 gauge with a 229k series serial number and a 20 gauge from early '70s production.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by dian
First, I believe that the "corn cob" fore end would indicate post-war. Pre-war fore ends are small checkered.
The 30's and early 40's have a smooth finish on the top of the receiver while post-war has the rough (phosphate like) finish.
Serial number is on the front face of the receiver. I'm not aware of the serial number anywhere else.
I'm only able to reference 20 gauge guns that are 1941, 1946 and 1949 vintage.
You can verify the age using the serial number.

Thanks, that seems to be consistent with the condition of the piece when i saw it. The beater i have from the original run of 1937 does have that beautiful checkered forend. I must have interpreted wrong from the source i looked at, because based on the items you mention, this was def post-war.

Later on they started calling them 'featherweight' and replaced the bead with the gawdy orange plastic thing. No offense meant to any that have that version, just not my cup of tea, and not one I would collect.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Pre 855,000 guns should have serial number on front of receiver and on the barrel as they were hand fitted. don't know when the corn cob forend started or ended. I have a 16 gauge with a 229k series serial number and a 20 gauge from early '70s production.

Thanks. This one had the serial
# on the barrel only, and having learned it is most likely post-war, could very well have been the original receiver. It was in great shape and so was the wood.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you sure there isn’t a serial number on the front face of the receiver (it’s not on the side)? The early barrels were serial numbered to the gun for headspace reasons. Later guns serial numbers allowed barrels to be swapped between guns (and serial number stays with gun not barrel).

Found this on Ithaca’s website, says it better than I did

Q: Where is the serial number located on my Model 37?
A: On the Model 37®, the serial number is located on the bottom right side of the receiver or on earlier models the chamber end of the receiver between the magazine and barrel.

Also stole from this thread

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=376421

Rules of thumb about checkering on field grades. Higher grades such as Deluxe, Skeet, Trap, and Supreme have fancy wood and hand checkering stock and fore end all years:

1. 1937-1945-Hand checkered stock-hand checkered round fore end

2. 1946-1954-Hand checkered stock-ringtail fore end

3. 1955-1965 No checkering on stock-ringtail fore end

4. 1966-1974 Negative pressed checkering

5. 1975-1985 Positive pressed checkering

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks for this. The picture on the auction site showed the serial # on the left side of the barrel near the receiver, and that is where i saw it when I looked at it, and that was the only place it was found. Also, the configuration fit item 2. in the list. Beautful example of a Mod 37, I was just turned off by the pitting in the barrel, which wasn't all that bad.

The virus was getting off the ground when I went to look at it, and two days later, had gotten worse. They called to notify the bidding was open, but by then I wasn't interested and was putting gas in my vehicle. The opening bid was $150, and the house premium and taxes totaled 30%, so that is figured in. I keep wondering how cheap I could have gotten it with everything going on. If I called to ask them they would tell me, if they are open, that is.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
113 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 685 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.