Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U

we've got the usual drug and PPE shortages everyone has as well as a fairly draconian sick worker policy implemented by the health dept but there's a silver lining to everything, amiarite ?

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I had read about one of the first people to contract Covid-19 and the journal he kept describing his experience fighting the virus. He was a pretty sick guy but at the same time he was fighting the virus his cat got sick and died.

My question is.....is it possible that Covid-19 infected his cat and that’s what caused the cat to die or was it simply a coincidence?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
Idexx (the lab testing company) has a covid-19 test and they've been trying to infect animals to validate their methodology. so far every attempt to infect a dog or cat has failed, and we've talking injecting large quantities of virus . so, I believe it's coincidental , not covid-19

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I had read about one of the first people to contract Covid-19 and the journal he kept describing his experience fighting the virus. He was a pretty sick guy but at the same time he was fighting the virus his cat got sick and died.

My question is.....is it possible that Covid-19 infected his cat and that’s what caused the cat to die or was it simply a coincidence?

I don't know the answer. But one of my wife's cousins is a physician in Poland. She sent an e-mail a couple of days ago talking about the measures being implemented there and one of them was to keep your dogs inside.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
Idexx (the lab testing company) has a covid-19 test and they've been trying to infect animals to validate their methodology. so far every attempt to infect a dog or cat has failed, and we've talking injecting large quantities of virus . so, I believe it's coincidental , not covid-19

That's good news.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've read in more than one place that there are really only 2 flu's in this family like CV19 that are zoonotic- swine and avian.

CV19 can not be passed to humans via animals, which sorta kills the bat theory (which any sane person should anyway if its coming from the Chinese govt)

That's not to say critters cant get it - just that they can't pass it to me.

Haven't heard of anyone's animals getting it.

Me

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
when the first SARS outbreak happened, they had to genetically engineer a mouse to use as a study model for treatment / vaccine testing.

as luck would have it, the lab company who did so managed to locate that frozen semen (must be teeny tiny straws, eh?) and quickly re-breed them for the current go round.

so yeah, very difficult to get these things to cross species barriers

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the response UtahLefty. I thought it was likely coincidental that the cat died too.

Bristoe, I wonder why they’re requiring that dogs be kept inside? Do they believe that dogs can transmit the virus or do they not know and are simply saying that out of an abundance of caution?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Vet I know was on tv this morning and was saying that dogs can’t catch it, but they can carry the virus around on their fur. So, if you go to the dog park and pet someone else’s dog and they have Covid...

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Thanks for the response UtahLefty. I thought it was likely coincidental that the cat died too.

Bristoe, I wonder why they’re requiring that dogs be kept inside? Do they believe that dogs can transmit the virus or do they not know and are simply saying that out of an abundance of caution?

I can only assume that they're either afraid that the virus can be transmitted from the dog or that the dog will simply contact the virus and bring it in on it's coat.

I thought it was a bit odd when I read it.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
One of my dogs was sick a few years ago with a cough. I have it penicillin.

I was sick in January. I just stayed home and sucked it up. Breathing was labored , but my lungs are strong.

I read stuff in the internet too. So there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

we've got the usual drug and PPE shortages everyone has as well as a fairly draconian sick worker policy implemented by the health dept but there's a silver lining to everything, amiarite ?

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lady vet here tells me that she has worked with corona for years. Chickens and cows, maybe?

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

But...But...But...

How do you expect me to tell you what you're doing wrong? confused

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Not a veterinarian but small business owner. Really quiet mostly. But I have had an extra helping of “difficult” clients calling in. Most people are nice, trying to get along, and get by, but some are just “trying”.

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Lady vet here tells me that she has worked with corona for years. Chickens and cows, maybe?

corona viruses are mostly a mammal upper respiratory thing thing.

humans have several of them

so do dogs

cats have a few, one of which mutates into a fatal disease called FIP in vivo

SARS came from bats, as likely did COVID-19

MERS came from camels

part of why it's so difficult to test for is that the test has to be a very specific RNA (genetic) test for COVID-19 specifically. nearly every mammal (including humans) would test positive for generic "coronavirus" antibodies

Last edited by UtahLefty; 03/19/20.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I sold more dog food on Tuesday then I did all last month. I’m empty. One lady brought her truck and left with 2k in food alone.

We have an online store and it has stayed steady as well, although not any more than usual.

We started curbside service on Monday and have essentially turned a side window into a drive thru pharmacy. Our board had an emergency meeting yesterday and approved telemedicine where appropriate. The emergencies have been more abundant, mostly kids playing with the dog and dog getting an orthopedic injury. We’ve been asked to delay any elective surgeries until further notice, but everyone has decided it’s time to neuter the barn cat. It surely is interesting.

I stocked up on scrub two weeks ago, but even then most of the PPE was gone. My wife is a Covetrus rep, Consequently she gets all the wtf where is all the PPE phone calls.

Last edited by BeardHunter; 03/21/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On my way to the feed store vet today with two dogs while he’s still open.

Turns out they have a heart worm shot said to protect for a year. That and two Bravecto pills for each should carry ‘em through October.

Spending a bunch but it’s spending usual bills in advance is all.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Been feeding a stray kitten on my school campus for a couple of months, feral, can’t get close. I was gonna trap it and get it fixed but really had nowhere to release it. But it was hard to watch something starve day by day.

Right now with the shutdown put in place it’s worth my job to go on campus unauthorized. Nothing more I can do for it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
On my way to the feed store vet today with two dogs while he’s still open.

Turns out they have a heart worm shot said to protect for a year. That and two Bravecto pills for each should carry ‘em through October.

Spending a bunch but it’s spending usual bills in advance is all.

Yeah, I just got one of those one year shots for my 65 lb Collie boy. Averaged out to be a lot cheaper than the pills we had him on. My vet folks have changed their way of doing business as well, to include curbside (parking lot) check in and exam room check out to minimize interaction with staff. I'm certainly okay with that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 671 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.