Print Thread
Hop To
#14583825 02/18/20
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I'm looking for recommendations for a rain jacket that keeps you dry. Not in the budget right now to spend $300 on one either.

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had some of the $100+ jackets. Can't say they are any better than these.

I can't get a link to work,but I'm talking about the Red Ledge jackets at about $40 on Amazon.

Last edited by JMR40; 02/18/20.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Budget/lightweight: Marmot PreCip or equivalent.

Heavy duty durability: ECWCS Gen II. US issue or TruSpec.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a few rain coats. Two that are less than $100 are the Marmot PreCip and a ECWCS gore-tex hooded shell. Both are excellent coats for most uses and the military model is probably both cheaper and tougher than the Marmot. I have a gore-tex military coat in woodland camo that is ten years or more old and works very well. You can get them online inexpensively, say from $35 to $80 most of the time.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I really like Grundens rain gear. Its not breathable, but its 100% waterproof, inexpensive and durable.

Its also available on amazon if you cant get it locally.

Cope
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I went to Alaska last year Caribou Hunting I searched EBay for a couple months and found a Columbia jacket for $39 and it worked great as we were rained on 9 out of 11 days North of the Brooks Range.
Just put in a search of brands you would like and the size and within a few months you will have a quality jacket at a affordable price. Mine even came with the tags still on it as new.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got to agree you need to narrow parameters. For something packable and used sporadically the Marmot is great. The military goretex is bulletproof and fairly cheap. For everyday hard use, Helly Hanson seems to be very popular.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Helly Hanson Impertech or three ply Goretex. One or two ply Goretex just doesn't cut it. Some good deals on surplus goretex especially fleck tarn from sportsmans guide or others. The rain gear for off shore fishermen like Gundren and others is the best but heavy and not ideal for hunting.

I have done well with The Precip jacket and Cabelas MT 50/50 but not for extended periods. I am liking a poncho for most of my use as it can protect the rifle as well and add to the camouflage effect too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My mainstay hunting rainwear are Cabelas Guidewear Goretex pants and jacket and still work fine after years of use but they are reserved just for rainy day deer hunting. Fortunately I have not punctured or ripped them. I realized that I was beginning to use them this spring for chores around the place during rainstorms and decided I needed to either buy another hunting set or something for home base. First looked for Military surplus and couldn't find a mens large in stock and gave up on that. Will revisit that idea again. Ended up going back to Cabelas and bought a jacket and pants from the Guidewear Rainy River with Gore-Tex Paclite line. The longest I've worn them has been for about three hours in a constant rain. No issues staying dry. They are lightweight but that's potentially a concern as I'm not sure of the longterm durability. If they last a year I'll be more than pleased.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Helly Hanson makes great rain gear.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Something that I didn't realize is that the soft, quiet ones never dry out before the next day.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Kings camo, makes some affordable options. I used a set of their XKG last year for September elk hunting in the Bighorns. The handled rain and snow like a champ. Only issue with the jacket is no pit zippers, but still love them.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
-- Fred Bear
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by pappabear
I'm looking for recommendations for a rain jacket that keeps you dry. Not in the budget right now to spend $300 on one either.

go to walmart

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

V
V
Outdoor Research Foray jacket. They offer a significant military/LEO/first responder discount if that applies to you or someone you know. Have a HH Impertech that is great but larger, doesn't breath, and bulkier.

H
H
If you have the cash Arcertryx is awesome but very expensive. My main jacket these days is an Outdoor Research Foray, about half the price, which uses GoreTex PacLite and has full length zip ups. Have stayed dry through several days of heavy rain/snow/wind. Biggest problem I face is getting wet from the inside out while trudging up a mountain. This jacket comes the closest of any i've owned to allowing you to stay dry both inside and out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
British, French, or German mil-surp is good, rugged, and cheap.

I like the British DPM Desert Gore-Tex jacket and I like the design of the French and German Gore-Tex pants because they have integrated suspenders.

The French CCE Gore-Tex is quite heavy and stiff, with the German Flectarn heavy, but not as heavy or as stiff as the French. The French CCE Gore-Tex that I have was made in Germany.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Marmot precip is a good jacket.

Here is a great website with comparative reviews on any outdoor gear you might need. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,174 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.