Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
An old round ball target shooter who sold me his chunk gun several years ago also shared a great idea about how to get consistent accuracy from the gun. He used 100% cotton denim for patches, lubed with machinist's water soluble cutting oil. It takes a little time and effort, but getting cloverleaf groups with iron sights at 60 yards from 50 caliber round balls is worth it. Chunk guns, and muzzleloaders in general can be very picky about the thickness of the patches used with round balls. Mine likes 100% cotton denim that measures .017" when tightly compressed with a pair of dial calipers. If I use .015" material, the groups open up noticeably. I'm shooting .490" pure lead balls, weight-matched to +/- 1/2 grain over 78.0 grains of 3-F Goex powder. Half a yard of denim from the local fabric store makes hundreds of patches.

Wash and dry the material and cut it into strips about 1 1/4" wide, then mix up a pint of water, a few drops of dishwashing liquid, and about 1/4 cup of water soluble machinists' cutting oil. Put several strips of the denim and the water/oil mixture into a quart mason jar with a tight fitting lid, and shake vigorously for a minute or so. Fish the soaked material out and lay it out in the sun on a cookie sheet or other piece of non-porous metal and let the water evaporate away. The oil will stay trapped in the fabric and have a slightly slippery feel when rubbed between the fingers once the water dries out. I leave the fabric in strips about a foot long, seat the ball flush with the muzzle when shooting, and trim the excess off with a straight razor, a super-sharp patch knife, or a box cutter blade.

If you're hunting with this type of patch, be sure to add a felt cushion wad between the powder and the patch. They tend to smolder if the patch gets exposed to the powder burn and we don't want any woods fires, now do we?
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well sir, you are very close to the method I use. I didn't invent it, most competitive shooters I know use it. I won't re-type all that information here but here is a link for anyone interested.
http://traditionalmuzzleloader.com/...d-for-a-black-powder-muzzleloading-rifle

PS- I have never had a patch lubed in this manner catch fire or smolder.

Last edited by prairie dog shooter; 03/20/20.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hmmmm- - - -maybe I'm over-lubing the denim a little, as about 1 in 5 patches smolder if I don't separate the powder from the ball patch with some sort of cushion, either a card wad or a felt button. The accuracy is good, so I don't worry much about a smoky patch on the range at the annual Alvin York shoot, the only competition I participate in. I'm a little more concerned about setting my woods on fire during a deer hunt!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For patch lube, only water and Ballistol. Adding a detergent works as a cleaner and can be used as a wet patch lube.
The gun will show you the proper ratio of oil to water. It depends on the humidity in your area as to what shoots best.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
376 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.