Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would like to make three points.

First, MOW is good to go. Even before he became a member he and I worked a deal with CJC73 to purchase a Leupold scope. CJC73 reported complete satisfaction with the transaction.

Second, I agree we need a minimum post count. There's no need for admin review of their posts. We can do it ourselves. Anytime someone contacts us about buying or selling just look at their posts to see if they're posting trash just to get their minimum count.

Last, I believe we need a feedback system where we can rate eachother and view that feedback before commencing any transactions. This will obviously require some admin effort to resolve any differing opinions.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JTod
People who post up WTB ads are just chum for scammers if you haven't figured that out yet. It isn't worth the trouble, find what you want on GB or eBay or the like.

Just a little due diligence and it's pretty easy to weed out the scammers.

J
JTod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Read all the recent "so and so is a scammer" posts and see if you can identify a commonality...

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOW
Can't we get admin to turn off PMs until the OP has 15, 20 etc. posts (admin would have review the posts to make sure they weren't crap to get their post count up). That would hinder them and maybe they would move to an easier place to scam.

The software does not allow for it at this point.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ll continue to post WTB ads. As already stated, it’s pretty easy to spot the dirtbags. If I get burned, that’s on me. It hasn’t happened yet, and I buy a lot. I always check locally for what I need first. If I can’t find it there, this is my first stop. Far greater reach on here than almost any other forum, and I almost always find what I’m after.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Just make new members ship their items prior to payment. That's what I did as a new member a few weeks ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dinny
I would like to make three points.

First, MOW is good to go. Even before he became a member he and I worked a deal with CJC73 to purchase a Leupold scope. CJC73 reported complete satisfaction with the transaction.

Second, I agree we need a minimum post count. There's no need for admin review of their posts. We can do it ourselves. Anytime someone contacts us about buying or selling just look at their posts to see if they're posting trash just to get their minimum count.

Last, I believe we need a feedback system where we can rate eachother and view that feedback before commencing any transactions. This will obviously require some admin effort to resolve any differing opinions.

Thanks, Dinny

Have a look at Rokslide, their format is lightyears ahead...

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
People who post up WTB ads are just chum for scammers if you haven't figured that out yet. It isn't worth the trouble, find what you want on GB or eBay or the like.

I would not stop running WTB because of a few scumbags. It is very easy to see who is a scammer. There is actually no trouble, just don't answer them, and move on.

Last edited by lone wolf; 03/20/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have been posting WTB ads here for s long as I have been a member, no bad experiences to date and have made some extremely good buys. No need to be a naysayer !

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I posted a wanted to buy a Guitar.. I am sitting here playing it as we speak.. not all people are bad.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by MOW
Can't we get admin to turn off PMs until the OP has 15, 20 etc. posts (admin would have review the posts to make sure they weren't crap to get their post count up). That would hinder them and maybe they would move to an easier place to scam.

I stand corrected. I consulted with one of the main developers for UBB, and he showed me how to get it done.

So we have a new group called "Newbies" that cannot PM until they become "Users" at 20 posts. We can adjust settings as required.

More coming ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I’m personally a newbie and have already had a lot of success both buying and selling on here. Particularly with Bullet Moulds. Not just here but also on a couple other forum sites. I’ve had a few people try to scam but for the most part all my experiences have been good.

J
JTod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MOW

I stand corrected. I consulted with one of the main developers for UBB, and he showed me how to get it done.

So we have a new group called "Newbies" that cannot PM until they become "Users" at 20 posts. We can adjust settings as required.

More coming ...

That's good news, thanks!

I will now sit back and wait for all the gents to thank me for shining a light on the issue :-)

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you. I know that I base my decision to deal or not deal with someone on how many posts he has...we're all safe from scammers now!

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I’ve made plenty of WTB ads.

WTB- 6x36 gloss, WTB 700classic 250-3000, WTB 17rem reloading components, WTB CZ527 221fb

All were found, easy and smooth transactions, no issues . So. STFU, GFY, and have a good weekend.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Not a waste of time. You just have to be a little smarter than a babe in the woods. Use a little common sense and don’t F&F a payment to somebody you don’t know from Adam...

I completely agree with this.

NRA Endowment Member
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MOW

More coming ...

I will now sit back and wait for all the gents to thank me for shining a light on the issue :-)

Nope.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by MOW

More coming ...

Nope.

x2

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
you are going to have crooks wherever you go...if you are smart you can get phone numbers, photos, have a contactable gunsmith inspect a item and get his ffl or have BATF see if he is legal….there are a lot of ways to protect yourself if you don't get greedy and think you have found a fool who is going to give aa item away for nothing...………………...if it's too god to be true it usually is not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have had some good luck with posting WTB ..mostly stuff scammers wouldn't be worth there time...
I have sold a few items to those posts also without trouble...but for the most part the WTB guys are just looking for something really cheap and ar not willing to pay market price...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.