Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Are there any laws on the books in the USA or Illinois state where a non-ffl holder private party cannot ship a long gun via USPO to a FFL holder in another state? So all transfers go FFL to FFL?

If you never leave your comfort zone you will never expand it.

Big Stone
BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would like to know as well.

I plan on shipping to two rifles in the same case by USPS to a gunsmitj out of state. My understanding is that I have to put them in a shipping case inside an unmarked box and send them by a traceable method but it is pretty much that simple.

The new guy at the Post Office didnt know what to do, even though I showed him the rules on my phone, so I am headed back in the AM.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For long guns It is legal. I usually get a copy of his FFL so I can show the PO it is addressed to a licensed FFL. Better yet, use Click and ship on the USPS website, you affix the label to the box and hand it over. When I did this, all they said was thanks when I gave it to them. They can mail it back to your house also. I have sent rifles to a gunsmith and Remington this way.

I am in Arkansas so I can't speak for IL state laws.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I believe it is legal in most if not all states. The problem is that allot of times ffl holders will not accept a shipment from a non-ffl holders. One ffl holder told me he does not accept shipments from non-ffl holders was because when he did it in the past, the non-ffl holder used his ffl to buy guns. Thats is what he told me, at least.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
One ffl holder told me he does not accept shipments from non-ffl holders was because when he did it in the past, the non-ffl holder used his ffl to buy guns. Thats is what he told me, at least.

I think that is why they print "file copy" across the FFL to prevent this

Moe

"Pick out two!"
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by justsaymoe
One ffl holder told me he does not accept shipments from non-ffl holders was because when he did it in the past, the non-ffl holder used his ffl to buy guns. Thats is what he told me, at least.

Exactly what I have been told.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by justsaymoe

Exactly what I have been told.

That makes zero sense.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I believe it is legal in most if not all states. The problem is that allot of times ffl holders will not accept a shipment from a non-ffl holders. One ffl holder told me he does not accept shipments from non-ffl holders was because when he did it in the past, the non-ffl holder used his ffl to buy guns. Thats is what he told me, at least.

My FFL wants a color photo copy of the senders DL for his files. But, this is LA, not IL.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just shipped off 2 rifles this week. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Non licensee (me), to a verified FFL. Most FFL's have no problems with it. If they do, you can either ask the buyer to switch FFL's, to one that doesn't have his head in his azz, or you tell the buyer they will have to pay extra for my FFL to ship to his FFL... Problem solved... I also use USPS insured anymore because UPS now wants to know exactly what it is you are shipping. They say its to put it on the label. When I ship a rifle, I don't want to advertise its a rifle in the package. We have all seen videos of what UPS does to packages and you get some gun hating UPS worker and rifle mysteriously ends up with a broken stock in 3 places... Always buy extra insurance when you ship as well...

Here's what the ATF has to say about it:

Can a non licensee ship a long gun to an FFL

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I just shipped a rifle to a GS in California.

Got it done but not w/o some drama. Problem most people in to,UPS, FEDX don't know the law or have some dislike firearms or are too lazy to look up the rules on their own sysem.

Persistence and a copy of the rules will eventually win out. One lady at a PO got all pissy and called the sheriff cause I wouldn't leave.

Federal employees are special.

Lefty

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are not allowed to put any markings on the outside of the box to identify the contents as a firearm. My local UPS said they don’t know of anything different when shipping a firearm. They scan it in like normal and put it in the cart. I think it is a federal requirement to have adult signature confirmation at delivery.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I just shipped off 2 rifles this week. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Non licensee (me), to a verified FFL. Most FFL's have no problems with it. If they do, you can either ask the buyer to switch FFL's, to one that doesn't have his head in his azz, or you tell the buyer they will have to pay extra for my FFL to ship to his FFL... Problem solved... I also use USPS insured anymore because UPS now wants to know exactly what it is you are shipping. They say its to put it on the label. When I ship a rifle, I don't want to advertise its a rifle in the package. We have all seen videos of what UPS does to packages and you get some gun hating UPS worker and rifle mysteriously ends up with a broken stock in 3 places... Always buy extra insurance when you ship as well...

Here's what the ATF has to say about it:

Can a non licensee ship a long gun to an FFL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigstone
Are there any laws on the books in the USA or Illinois state where a non-ffl holder private party cannot ship a long gun via USPO to a FFL holder in another state? So all transfers go FFL to FFL?

You can here. But I’d hazard to guess about Illinois.
They’ve got some fuqked up gun laws.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good stuff...

Molon Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 17 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.