Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes the travel insurance companies are pretty weaselly. I wish Lloyds or a more reputable company would provide travel insurance.

Covid-19 is going to get worse before it gets better. June will be in the peak of the southern hemispheres flu season. But it is also the dry season which will reduce the spread. The only real danger is public places, once out in the bush the risks will be low if you avoid contact with obviously infected individuals. SA has many British, German and US trained medical staff as well as from the SA med. schools and excellent facilities. If I had to go to a hospital I would almost rather do it there than here.

Given your age would make me more inclined to go if you can accept the risks. Even though your in the at risk age demographic it is only critical if you have a compromised immune system or other health issues, if not then you are closer to the 80% group that it would be like a bad case of the more common flu but not life threatening. I am getting the pneumonia vaccine as a preventative, last case of the flu I may have gotten pneumonia too which compounded the severity of the symptoms.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Tejano, thanks for your thoughts. I am concerned but not panicked, and plan to continue to watch the situation. There are eight cases in Colorado now, so I might be quarantined in SA because of coming from an infected area. 😃

On the bright side, I have been blessed to hunt in Africa twice before.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
More cases here than SA. I hope they implement a system where you can get a check up prior to travel so you could get fast tracked while boarding or disembarking. I would also look into as many VIP passes and pre-boarding clearances as you can get in advance to get out of the longer lines.

Lassa fever is the one that scares me, won't be going to Nigeria anytime soon.

Hope it goes well for you.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My trip from JFK direct to Joberg was 15 hours without AC (South African Air), I wouldn't want to be on that plane if there's a chance someone has the virus. I bought Global Rescue medical insurance in case I got hurt or sick, I did not want a blood transfusion or medical care from people where the AIDS/HIV rate was so high. Good luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If they have ONE recognized case, they could be thought as being 1 1/2-2 months behind us and very early in the infection curve. All things being equal such as the weather/environment there being about equal to here for the virus to live and spread (I don’t know that), June, there, could be roughly equivalent to us here now. Can you imagine how it might spread there?

Factor in their government’s capability to respond and the masses to be responsible, their health care capabilities — I do know somewhat of Namibia’s — and, for me, it would be like playing Russian roulette; no way. But I’m also seventy..though in good shape.

Granted, this is speculation. But not pure speculation.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Certainly not pure speculation. There are now 150 cases in SA. What will stop it?

Al

Spend your life wisely.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
These are some of the reason why I'm not in what I believe to be mostly media driven "panic" mode. The link is to the CDC's report on just the US and the REGULAR seasonal flu and NOT COVID 19. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

This to their info on H1N1 Swine Flu from 2009 when more than 10K people in the US died BEFORE team O/Biden did a damn thing. https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates_2009_h1n1.htm

And before that it was H5N1 Bird Flu - https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/h5n1-people.htm

Don't get me wrong, anyone and everyone who dies from this this is a tragedy. All I'm intending to do is provide similar strains within the general strains of Corona viruses to give comparisons.

Forget about the flu - https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/new...w_third_leading_cause_of_death_in_the_us

Again, just trying to give a little perspective. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

Edited to add another link - https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17...-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

I will say this again, all I'm trying to get across is I don't believe most of anything I see/watch on "mainstream media" mostly because they all have a VERY poor track record of being correct on nearly EVERYTHING and it has gotten worse in the last few years. Nor do I believe everything "on the web". I try to subject EVERYTHING to a certain degree of healthy skepticism and try to apply critical thinking to all of it. So far, at least for me, this just doesn't all add up. I have suspicions and ideas why all of this is going on but it's just personal opine.

Last edited by M3taco; 03/20/20. Reason: added a link
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
jdollar: Will your cruise line still be in business next year? Same question for your airline who has offered the same deal to re book? I was on a cruise line website offering a 7 day cruise for $84. Just to reiterate seven days for eighty four dollars. Regarding trip insurance, prior to the CV-19 pandemic the list of exclusions was very broad. Now CV-19 is specifically excluded. The only value for trip insurance is for alternate use if you failed to hoard enough TP.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I thought I read SA was denying entry in the country for US citizens.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I thought I read SA was denying entry in the country for US citizens.

That is correct. They announced it 3 daysago.

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Originally Posted by bobmn
jdollar: Will your cruise line still be in business next year? Same question for your airline who has offered the same deal to re book? I was on a cruise line website offering a 7 day cruise for $84. Just to reiterate seven days for eighty four dollars. Regarding trip insurance, prior to the CV-19 pandemic the list of exclusions was very broad. Now CV-19 is specifically excluded. The only value for trip insurance is for alternate use if you failed to hoard enough TP.

I think they will still be here but no way to know. They are a very upscale, small ship operation (Regent Seven Seas). The business class airfare is part of the total package cost and they book it, not me. So no airline to contact. 10 day cruise cost over 20K, so I sure hope they don’t go belly up!

Last edited by jdollar; 03/20/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Any travel whatsoever is unwise now. It doesn't matter how many cases are reported at your destination the Airports are a high contact zone. The number of cases is largely correlated with the number of test as we have seen in the US. Cancel or reschedule at least a month in advance or re-book for next year if you can.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Some lodges and hunting operations are not accepting US clients for the time being. I suggest you communicate with any Africa based outfit.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Trying to get out of Malawi now. Had a flight early this morning to Joburg. Just before we were to get on the bus to go out to the plane, they came and got us and pulled us and our bags. New restrictions in SA overnight...you must have a connecting flight the same day or they send you back or 14 day Q. We were told by the ambassador to get out of Malawi as fast as possible, so we were going to spend the night in Joberg before catching the last ATL direct flight. We're supposedly re-booked for tomorrow. If we don't get out tomorrow, it gets ugly.

Perry
W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Man I feel for you and hope for the best.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Al,
With your age and the international travel involved, I think you're playing against a stacked-deck to go this year...

Your tagline says "Spend your life wisely."
Putting this trip into the future might be the wisest thing you'll ever do.

Take care.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Al,
With your age and the international travel involved, I think you're playing against a stacked-deck to go this year...

Your tagline says "Spend your life wisely."
Putting this trip into the future might be the wisest thing you'll ever do.

Take care.

Good advice. I can’t imagine the miracle that would have to occur for me to go. Fortunately, I’ve been to Africa for hunting twice before, so it won’t be the end of the world if I don’t make it back.

I’m not canceling anything yet. As I understand it I have a better chance of getting a refund rather than a voucher if Delta cancels the flight. And I will donate my deposit to the outfitter even if he offers a refund. He’s been good to me and is in a tough spot.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Good man! (Glad I went when I could, even after heart surgery in 2018.)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you have to have a government advise you not to travel overseas right now or near future.... I shouldn’t write what I’m thinking.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.