Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been amazed (well not really) during this latest crisis of the lack of preparedness of both people and corporations. I grew up with parents that always had the attitude of being prepared for the worst and if you run into difficulty, you had some basic preparedness and then you worked your way through or around it. I listen to the radio or television of folks that expect at the first sign of adversity or hardship, there should be someone or some entity that's there to get them through it.

I remember as a single guy when I bought my first house. The bank told be I qualified for a mortgage of $1200/mo. I thought they were out of their minds and went and found a house where my mortgage was $725/mo. An amount that if things went down the crapper, I could pay for it by working at a 7-11 to scrape by until I got back on my feet. That's no longer the case with people. They live their lives on the edge and then expect someone to bail them out when it all doesn't go their utopian way.

I'm tired of bailing people out for their bad choices and lack of preparedness. If you borrowed too much for college, shame on you, quit asking me to pay it off with my taxes. If you built a house on the coast and get blasted by a storm, quit asking me to help subsidize your risk with my taxes so you can rebuild. If your business plan didn't address risk mitigation or plan for a rainy day fund, quit asking me prop you up with my taxes.

Folks need to start assuming more responsibility for their own risky deeds and either be prepared to absorb the risk or be prepared to live with the loss from their risk.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I've been amazed (well not really) during this latest crisis of the lack of preparedness of both people and corporations. I grew up with parents that always had the attitude of being prepared for the worst and if you run into difficulty, you had some basic preparedness and then you worked your way through or around it. I listen to the radio or television of folks that expect at the first sign of adversity or hardship, there should be someone or some entity that's there to get them through it.

I remember as a single guy when I bought my first house. The bank told be I qualified for a mortgage of $1200/mo. I thought they were out of their minds and went and found a house where my mortgage was $725/mo. An amount that if things went down the crapper, I could pay for it by working at a 7-11 to scrape by until I got back on my feet. That's no longer the case with people. They live their lives on the edge and then expect someone to bail them out when it all doesn't go their utopian way.

I'm tired of bailing people out for their bad choices and lack of preparedness. If you borrowed too much for college, shame on you, quit asking me to pay it off with my taxes. If you built a house on the coast and get blasted by a storm, quit asking me to help subsidize your risk with my taxes so you can rebuild. If your business plan didn't address risk mitigation or plan for a rainy day fund, quit asking me prop you up with my taxes.

Folks need to start assuming more responsibility for their own risky deeds and either be prepared to absorb the risk or be prepared to live with the loss from their risk.

Damn straight........ good post

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102
First you must understand who owns corporations and where their profits go.

Just to keep it short, if you own a 401K, an IRA, or a pension plan, YOU are a corporation owner.

+1

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

+2

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

...................Understand.......But if you wish for a thriving economy ASAP with a very low unemployment rate, there are no other options.....Like for all of us, this virus blinded sided everyone unexpectedly. Besides. Trump has not asked for any tax increases at any income level to help pay for all this. The economy needs to be jump started in a huge way, and the only way is with an in-flux of capital to those corporations and smaller businesses who EMPLOY lots of people.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by SBTCO
It doesn't matter now since the deed is done, but.....

There should be no bailouts, to anyone, corporate or private citizen. This has the potential to destroy the economy for years to come. It was already in the mix but was just thrown on the fast track.

The fed was running $23 trillion in debt before covid19 and the market crash. We are now looking at possibly $30 trillion plus by the end of the year. Consumer debt was a record $14 trillion+ before co19 and now with the panic buying(most on credit cards) and little to no income for many, possibly for months? Do the math. Corp. debt has been at record highs above that in 2008-2009...again, do the math.

Show me one country that has either taxed or borrowed its way into long term prosperity and I'll show you some ocean front property in Two Dot Montana I'd like to sell.

We should bill China for this mess and scrub it from our debt. They were not good neighbors.

Better move the manufacturing of critical goods back over here before you send them the bill, they fully understand the concept of blackmail.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And then, you will see a revenue surge to the federal govt........Gotta have the revenue. And from where does the govt get its revenue? From working taxpayers. Gotta have them employed.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I understand that Boeing is strategically and economically important. Perhaps a bailout is justified. However, they also bought back many billions of their own stock in the past number of years. They have horribly mismanaged the 737 Max debacle, long before the current crisis.

So how about they reissue the stock they bought back to whoever wants, most likely the US Government, at a price reflective of the appropriate dilution from current market price. The current shareholders (owners) are going to take a huge (50%+) haircut, but at least they won’t entirely lose their investment. When Boeing is out of the woods and the economy is better, the government can sell their ownership over time, hopefully making a fair return for the taxpayers, saving Boeing, and a whole lot of jobs.

I am very much against giving away money at the taxpayer expense. Unless something like I describe is done, we are simply letting Boeing and it’s shareholders privatize the profits and then socialize the losses to the American taxpayer. There needs to be a price for mismanagement and malfeasance.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Shame of it is some states require you to be incorperated even if your a one man operation depending on your trade

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don’t corporations pay State governments for unemployment insurance?

Who pays the public sector unemployment insurance? Normally they are never laid-off, but who has paid.....when they are?

Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
And then, you will see a revenue surge to the federal govt........Gotta have the revenue. And from where does the govt get its revenue? From working taxpayers. Gotta have them employed.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Slope77
I understand that Boeing is strategically and economically important. Perhaps a bailout is justified. However, they also bought back many billions of their own stock in the past number of years. They have horribly mismanaged the 737 Max debacle, long before the current crisis.

So how about they reissue the stock they bought back to whoever wants, most likely the US Government, at a price reflective of the appropriate dilution from current market price. The current shareholders (owners) are going to take a huge (50%+) haircut, but at least they won’t entirely lose their investment. When Boeing is out of the woods and the economy is better, the government can sell their ownership over time, hopefully making a fair return for the taxpayers, saving Boeing, and a whole lot of jobs.

I am very much against giving away money at the taxpayer expense. Unless something like I describe is done, we are simply letting Boeing and it’s shareholders privatize the profits and then socialize the losses to the American taxpayer. There needs to be a price for mismanagement and malfeasance.

Agreement in spades......😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Your way is very painful fir a lot of people.

Just sayin

Like “experience is the best teacher”

Sure, but the lessons can be hard.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe look up Pyrrhic Victory

You can win and still lose.
You can be right and still be wrong

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Don’t corporations pay State governments for unemployment insurance?

Who pays the public sector unemployment insurance? Normally they are never laid-off, but who has paid.....when they are?

Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

...............Yes they do.....Companies and corporations pay more than what is always propagandized by the libTURD left..The funny thing is, is that I can guarantee ya, that millions of demCRAPS within this country work for large companies and corporations. The very people that the libtard left always demonize.......

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It should be painful. A kid doesn't avoid touching a stove if he/she didn't feel the pain from burning themselves the first time. Sucks for the kid at the time, but it gives them a lesson that serves them the rest of their life. In reality, it probably teaches a lesson that passes on for generations. My folks went through a lot of hardship (My Dad's folks lost their store in the depression and my mom grew up in Great Britain during WW2). My folks lived their life understanding restraint and responsibility and they passed the trait on to me.

Your 100% correct that we've migrated away from having to face any kind of hardship. I'll admit, I see it in my own young kids too. That's the inherent fault of being a parent, you never want to let your child fail, so therefore you never let them learn a hard lesson.

We need a culture shift back to people feeling the results of their actions, rather than someone else feeling the result of their actions. The same holds true for businesses. Before any of them have really made any effort to weather any storm, they're already crying for federal bailouts.

Originally Posted by hatari

Your way is very painful fir a lot of people.

Just sayin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It should be painful. A kid doesn't avoid touching a stove if he/she didn't feel the pain from burning themselves the first time. Sucks for the kid at the time, but it gives them a lesson that serves them the rest of their life. In reality, it probably teaches a lesson that passes on for generations. My folks went through a lot of hardship (My Dad's folks lost their store in the depression and my mom grew up in Great Britain during WW2). My folks lived their life understanding restraint and responsibility and they passed the trait on to me.

Your 100% correct that we've migrated away from having to face any kind of hardship. I'll admit, I see it in my own young kids too. That's the inherent fault of being a parent, you never want to let your child fail, so therefore you never let them learn a hard lesson.

We need a culture shift back to people feeling the results of their actions, rather than someone else feeling the result of their actions. The same holds true for businesses. Before any of them have really made any effort to weather any storm, they're already crying for federal bailouts.

Your way is very painful for a lot of people.

Just sayin

You're tough!

My granddad used to say "America needs another good recession to teach people the value of work!"

I asked him, "did you enjoy the Great Depression, really?"

He said "Hell no!"

"So you want to do that all over again?"

He smiled, and at 19 years old, I won respect from a tough man.

In theory, i can relate to what you are saying, but a lot of people will suffer needlessly. Is that worth it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RJY66
I don't think anyone should get bailed out except arguably depositors in banks because that has been going on since 1933 and has given stability to the financial system bigly.

As you said, people who engage in business or buy stocks need to put on their big boy pants and understand that its a gamble. Sometimes it does not work out. Being back stopped by the man with the magic printing press leads to reckless behavior which leads to the need for more bailouts. Bankruptcy does not mean that companies necessarily disappear. Someone buys up the assets cheap, the debt and equity gets cancelled and they start over. See GM in 2009.

Had they let the system go belly up in 2009, financially responsible people would have been able to buy houses and other assets for pennies on the dollar and the Dow would have gone to about 3000. It would have been 1929 all over again but we eventually got over that. It could have come back on solid footing instead of the debt laden mess it is now.

Instead, they reflated it, rewarded irresponsible behavior, and now its needs bailing again. That is not capitalism. A whole generation of people think it is, see the inherent unfairness of it, and are apt to think socialism is better.

All that said, the thing that IS different now is that the government, rightly or wrongly, has completely lost their [bleep] over this virus. They created the recovery we have had since 2009 and now have created the bust of 2020.

This.

I will add, every business that wants a bailout should be required to run every employee through E-Verify before any money is handed over.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

In theory, i can relate to what you are saying, but a lot of people will suffer needlessly. Is that worth it?

Someone is going to have to suffer sooner or later.

Our approach to all this reminds me of how we have “managed forests” against fire as fuel builds to the point that when there is a fire the soil burns and there is nothing left but a wasteland.

Our unwillingness to suffer discomfort in the last crisis will cause us to make tougher choices now, but we’ll take the easy way again, punting to the next generation...

Eventually we’ll burn to such an extent recovery will be more like mad max than the great depression.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 67 invisible), 3,008 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.