H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
2019 buck, 181# dressed.
Dropped on spot in full rut.
Dressed without issue and it was cold, took to processor.
Cut and vacuum sealed.

Thawed and some meat smells like he's runnin around in the kitchen.
Musky.

Had a 200# buck that was similar many yrs ago.

What to do?

Have killed dozens of deer and this maybe the 3rd funky one.
Two decent bucks and one doe (late season).
All whitetails from ag areas.

Last edited by hookeye; 03/20/20.
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Eat it and be glad you aren’t at the grocery looking at an empty meat case.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
There ain't no fixin, it, sad to say. You can cover it up, but it never goes away. I f times get tough, use it to feed the dogs, and go get another one.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Front shoulder shots always have a stronger taste . It tastes a little bit like liver with all the blood in it.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
2020, first decent doe comes along she's in the freezer.
This funky buck stuff, antlers on the wall about all theyre good for.
Dayamn.

I aint the most picky eater, and like venison fine.
But I do have a strong sense of smell and this stuff is overpowering.

Like the bastard is running in the kitchen LOL

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Same thing happened to me back in 1984. Near as I can figure, processor cut through the hock glands when skinning and didn't clean his hands.

EVERY cut of meat from that deer stunk, couldn't eat it.

Started butchering my deer myself after that, and never had an issue.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pepperoni, sausage or kielbasa’s pard. Even bear is edible that way!!! 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
I did have brats and italian sausage made.
Left most of the burger at processors (I never use but a little for jerky).

Dunno if this stinky buck has stinky meat or the processor fugged it up.
Guess I'll go back to doing it myself.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
The processor has a bunch of people working for him, it aint one guy skinning and cutting.
So I doubt it was hide to meat contamination.
But then, I dunno.
Tasted over 100 diff deer, this the 3rd funky one.
Just bums me out.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This works for me most of the time:
Fill big bowl with ice, lay meat cuts on top, when the ice melts, dump the blood and repeat. Marinate in Dales marinade for an hour. Batter and fry. Eat on buttered biscuits. Hope that helps. Some times it’s great and sometimes it tastes like a deers arse marinated in Dales.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I had one mule deer years ago that I shot in the peak of the rut - could smell him from 50 yards away as we walked up to him. Buddy with me commented on the stench. It was a clean shot - took one step and went down, gutted on the spot, plenty cold with snow and I took care of him myself like I do all of them. Tried my damndest to eat it but was just nasty all the way. Fed some to the dogs and ended up tossing the rest prior to the next season. I shoot plenty of rutting mule deer that have a stronger flavor and with creative brines and seasoning, am always able to enjoy it. I think sometimes you just get a nasty one and can't explain it...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yup, don't shoot whitetail bucks during the rut if you want to eat them. Been there done that.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JGray
I had one mule deer years ago that I shot in the peak of the rut - could smell him from 50 yards away as we walked up to him. Buddy with me commented on the stench. It was a clean shot - took one step and went down, gutted on the spot, plenty cold with snow and I took care of him myself like I do all of them. Tried my damndest to eat it but was just nasty all the way. Fed some to the dogs and ended up tossing the rest prior to the next season. I shoot plenty of rutting mule deer that have a stronger flavor and with creative brines and seasoning, am always able to enjoy it. I think sometimes you just get a nasty one and can't explain it...

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, have shot bucks in rut, couple dozen, and only one other a stinker.
He my avatar buck.

This one had a bigger neck.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Problem with taking deer to a processor you can't be certain it's your deer you get back. I've butchered my own for years, only used a processor once or twice in 56 yrs. of deer hunting. Only had one deer in all those years that the meat had an off odor, the wife couldn't stand to be in the kitchen when I was preparing it though it tasted OK.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Front shoulder

As opposed to the rear shoulder?

Last edited by 1minute; 03/20/20.

1Minute
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
soak the meat in a sink covered with water and a capful of white vinegar, it will help but may not remove all the muskiness

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You have not smelled or tasted rut until you try to eat a rutty caribou. Literally, a drop to your knees retching smell on approach...

A very simply solution that takes the rank away is a soak in milk before frying.

I tend to slice it thin and soak overnight in the frig. Make a stir-fry the next day with it and you will be blown away.

It is so good that is the only way I tend to eat it, but I have done the same with backstrap cut into steaks and rolled in flour before frying. Same thing, cut in chunks for stew works great also, from experience. No point in wasting it. I also consider myself a bit sensitive to "rank" meat.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know if this will work in your case but this is how I cook game that has a "wild" taste.
Trim the meat so all of the fat and any surface that was exposed during aging is off . You now have fresh red meat.
Take a baggie and put in about 1/4 cup BALSAMIC vinegar, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, 1 or 2 mashed up garlic cloves and if you like, a little bit of raw onion. Put the meat in and turn it all around so all of the meat is coated.
Now squeeze out all of the air you can and toss it in the fridge. A couple of hours usually works, overnight is better.
Cook on a hot grill only until it is rare, about 4 minutes per side usually works for me.
Hope it works, let us know.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
This buck was strong rut when shot. And he was a stinker.
Have no prob w the 100" eight pointers .....no special prep on meat.

Processor bones it all out, cubes and vac seals.

Like I said, this stuff smells like hes behind me making a scrape by the oven.

Ive shot other bucks in rut and they not bad.
But this one had the thickest neck Ive ever shot and i dropped him deader than snot. No run or bleed out.

Loins thawing, will try to soak. Report late this evening when drunk

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Don't know if this will work in your case but this is how I cook game that has a "wild" taste.
Trim the meat so all of the fat and any surface that was exposed during aging is off . You now have fresh red meat.
Take a baggie and put in about 1/4 cup BALSAMIC vinegar, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, 1 or 2 mashed up garlic cloves and if you like, a little bit of raw onion. Put the meat in and turn it all around so all of the meat is coated.
Now squeeze out all of the air you can and toss it in the fridge. A couple of hours usually works, overnight is better.
Cook on a hot grill only until it is rare, about 4 minutes per side usually works for me.
Hope it works, let us know.

Will try your method this weekend as well. Thanks.

LOL if not palatable, how do red squirrels taste? No season and have my deer woods full of em

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.