Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Posted this on Long Range Hunting Forum. At my wits end.

Hello All,

I have an older model 700 Police. This one has the HS precision stock. It is not a McMIllian...I know, but, it is a nice stock just the same, and is fairly stiff.

The problems is...these stocks have no...and I mean NO cheek support. The comb is way too low. I can not find a base/ring combination low enough to allow my cheek to touch the stock let alone rest firmly against it. I can only say that it is a poor design.

Can you guys help me out with some options.

I've looked at some strap on pad/risers. However, the ones I have researched rely on padding to rise the cheek weld. I want something solid. I need approximately 1" rise

I have also looked at some kydex options. The ones I looked at require that one drill through the stock and attach the riser with carriage bolts. Adjustable, but I believe the HS is not solid through and through. Don't want to do that.

So...I'm looking to the collective wisdom of the Fire.

Can you help me?

Thanks, GB

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reading your post I can only come to this conclusion- you're going to have to either experiment with several different options or find someone with an option that looks attractive and see if they will let you try it on your stock.... either way may turn out to be an expensive route to take.

I've seen a number of the wrap around leather pad options that can be put on and off, but I'm pretty sure you aren't going to get 1" of rise with them.

If you could live with the Kydex options, there are lots of ways to deal with the "hollow stock" issue that would be solid and look fine once you are done. Or, you could try finding a piece of wood that would be big enough to make a cheekpiece and whittle it to fit the contour of the stock tightly, screw it on from the opposite side with countersunk screws and shape it to the proper shape and rise you require. Once finished, you can take it off and spray paint it to match the stock. Of course, this would require you to have the necessary tools, experience, and willingness to embark on this project- and possibly have to do it twice to get it right.... wink

All in all, by time you get done you may be better off to find a good wood or glass stock that does what you want it to do and stop worrying about it. You may be money ahead in the long run, and you won't be tearing your hair out trying to get this done with bandaid solutions...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Sage advice. "Bandaid" solutions cost twice...once to do it...once again to do it right.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
The comb is way too low.

Obviously, your neck is just too short . . . I have the opposite problem and your stock would prolly be perfect for me.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
You are very close to the truth. I do have issues with my neck. And, recent surgeries have complicated the matter.

I can shoot my 223 bolt gun. The recoil is not an issue, and I was able to use a Magpul Hunter stock with its cheek riser inserts to obtain a solid cheek weld.

I am easing into shooting the 308. The no comb height on that Police stock was an issue before the surgeries, I cannot shoot without having something solid to rest my head.

I just do not want to ditch a very good stock and invest another $250 into another stock.

I'm thinking that I might come out $$ ahead by selling this rifle and buying a Bergarra HBR. That rifle is under a $1000 dollars and comes from the factory with a threaded muzzle and a fully adjustable cheek riser.

On a separate note: Received a reply from HS Precision. They said drilling the stock was not a problem.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would just build up the comb with bondo or better epoxy and micro balloons then rasp it down to an ideal fit and re-paint the stock.

The Bergera is not a bad option as once you modify the stock the resale will drop. The Bergera should be lighter too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drill the stock and install rivnuts to secure a kydex cheek pad.

You can either buy a kydex adjustable cheekpiece or build your own fairly easily and cheap.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet_nut

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have seen those stocks drilled and kydex riser added. As MallardAddict suggested they make rivnuts specifically for this. Otherwise a spacer spacer (I saw wood or aluminum pillars used) inside hollow section seems to add rigidity.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but Triad Tactical Comb Height Kit allows you to adjust height using velcro spacers. I have one that I cut off the straps and just the glued the velcro strips to stock. Thatallows me to remove it, reposition it, add or delete height based on situation...

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Posted this on Long Range Hunting Forum. At my wits end.

Hello All,

I have an older model 700 Police. This one has the HS precision stock. It is not a McMIllian...I know, but, it is a nice stock just the same, and is fairly stiff.

The problems is...these stocks have no...and I mean NO cheek support. The comb is way too low. I can not find a base/ring combination low enough to allow my cheek to touch the stock let alone rest firmly against it. I can only say that it is a poor design.

Can you guys help me out with some options.

I've looked at some strap on pad/risers. However, the ones I have researched rely on padding to rise the cheek weld. I want something solid. I need approximately 1" rise

I have also looked at some kydex options. The ones I looked at require that one drill through the stock and attach the riser with carriage bolts. Adjustable, but I believe the HS is not solid through and through. Don't want to do that.

So...I'm looking to the collective wisdom of the Fire.

Can you help me?

Thanks, GB

Get in touch with the Stock Doc, Joe Ducos. He does great work.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Buy a B&C M40 stock or a Graeboe Terrain.
Sell the HS and recover some of your expense.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks to all of you who took the time to help me out.

GB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

Ducos does great work!!!!

Listen to Hondo!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

Ducos does great work!!!!

Listen to Hondo!

I’ve got one to send him.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very happy w the one he did for me.

Have a couple I need to send him.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,355
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.