Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mathsr Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I finished this one a few years ago. It's probably my favorite handle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

These are a couple we finished for a Show in Fort Worth next month that has been canceled.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Harry
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Harry those look great! You changed your Logo from the cross knives.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I particularly like the drop point on the right.

Details?

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Mathsr Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
MCH we still use the crossed blades most of the times, but we do have a couple of other logos we use from time to time.

geedubya, the drop point is our model #1 with a 3 3/4" blade of BG-42 steel. The blade has been hollow ground with a 14 inch wheel. It has a sambar stag handle that is oval in cross section which makes it a slim knife. It comes with one of our custom made sheaths of 8oz leather. Over all length is 8 1/4".

Harry
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Damn nice.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have always like BG-42 Harry what are you getting for HRC on those blades?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Mathsr Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

That is an older blade that we had put aside when we went to CPMS30V. Charlie decided it was time to finish it. I don't remember off hand what the Rockwell hardness is and Im not at the shop where I can check it. I'll try to post it when I can. BG-42 used to be our favorite steel until the supply dried up. We put aside a few unfinished blades and this knife is probably going to be one of our last ones with that steel. I wish we could get some more of it.

Harry
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
those are very nice.

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wow, just wow. That drop point is perfect, perfect I tell ya, perfect!!! The handle on the first one???? Is that pattern carved into it or does it come that way??? It looks carved, & I can't imagine the patients that took, my oh my. I know I don't have the skill or the patience. I'd slip once & it would get flying lessons!!! Man o man, the skill some people have is amazing. Post more of your knives, please!!!!! GWB can you post some more of your knives please. We need a spot for everyone to post knives on that never ends, I could go over & over it just to see knives & ideas for handles & blade shapes. We have enough makers on here to do it. I know I for one never get sick of looking at knives, never!!! How about it??? Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦.

Mathsr Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
GWPGUY the basket weave pattern is carved into Sambar Stag scales that are used to make a box handle. Takes a while to carve and it takes a very special piece of stag to make it work. The size stag needed for that handle is getting very difficult to find. Stag does carve much easier than ivory or bone and is without question our favorite handle material whether or not we carve it. Fortunately Axis stag carves very well, is pretty much smooth to begin with and there is no shortage of it.

Harry
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Harry, those knives are beautiful and the basketweave stag is mind blowing.

The oval piece of stag on the drop point is really cool. At first glance I assumed it was just another round handle stag knife.

Cope
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would think caribou antler would carve very well. Not too much pithy core. I do not have the patience or skill
to anything near that basket weave. Heck I can not even to a nice jigging job.
Nice work.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the info about the handle. That will be cherished by some family for years to come. Amazing!!!! Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Mathsr Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

MCH, It been a long time since I had to check to see what our BG-42 blades were heat treated to. This particular blade was heat treated by Paul Bos back when we were making batches of blades that might number from 50 to 100. Probably around 2005. It didn't make sense for us to try to heat treat that many at one time in our shop and Paul Bos was a great alternative for a commercial heat treater. HIs heat treat process always hit the number dead on. On BG-42 the number is RC60.

Harry
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Beautiful knives!
I'd have a REAL hard time not buying that basket weave handled knife! Wow!
It would also be difficult to walk past that last drop point Stag knife.
Incredible workmanship and artistry!
Thanks for sharing,
Ed

Mathsr Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
I would think caribou antler would carve very well. Not too much pithy core. I do not have the patience or skill
to anything near that basket weave. Heck I can not even to a nice jigging job.
Nice work.

Never thought about caribou antler. I always thought it was kind of pithy. We have a couple on the wall in the cabin, but they cost too much to get there for us to want to start slicing them up. grin We like to use stag for carving that is close to solid. Sambar stag is good and Axis Stag is better. You never know what the inside is going to be like, but if you can get stag that has a nice creamy white color, people will swear that it is ivory.

Harry
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have yet to find a caribou antler that was not more solid with less pithy area
than either elk or stag.
If you are having a hard time finding some caribou, I could part with a section big
enough for one set of scales.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Mathsr Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We haven't been looking for any and don't really know how hard it is to come by, but a piece of caribou might interesting to work with...

Harry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Harry,
Got an email from my Blade Mag scrip today saying that barring further Covid19 developments Blade 2020 is still a go...Are you guys planning to be there?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Mathsr Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If it is going to be open, we plan on being there.

Current plans are that we will be working the Knifemakers Guild table again this year. Hopefully we will have a few knives on that table and one of us will be there all the time. Charlie is Secretary of the Guild and I am on the Technical Committee. So we will be working most of the time.

I will be making the rounds at the show looking for some good makers that might be interested in joining. If anyone knows of a maker that might be interested, let me know and I will pay him/her a visit. It is an easy way to get your application in, because only one Technical Committee needs to sign for the maker and they don't have to visit 4 makes to get signatures.

Harry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.