Print Thread
Hop To
B
Buzzie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'll be heading on my first Dall sheep hunt in the Yukon this July so the bugs will be bad. Looking for recommendations for treating the merino wool shirts to prevent getting bit by these freaking critters. Looking at treating with Sawyer Permethrin clothing treatment but not sure if this is a good idea with the wool. Any other recommendations, treat with OFF or a product with DEET??

Any other suggestions for keeping the bugs off and not feeling greasy or smelling too bad would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.craghoppers.com/what-is-nosilife/

I picked up one of the shirts in South Africa. I wore it extensively at a camp in west central Alberta last spring. The headquarters is beside a small lake and the shooting range is by a partly dry muskeg swamp. Mosquito country.

I was not bothered by mosquitos where the shirt covered. It may put off an undetectable smell as I seldom wore repellant on my head, but they didn't bother me much. They did bite my uncovered hands though.

A dense weave fabric won't allow most insects to bite through, the exception being if the fabric is skin tight. I found that out the hard way.

Mosquitos like darker colors.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Never had a mosquito bite thru a wool shirt, including while in Alaska.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
this or similar like sawyers . Bring a head net, gloves.treat both

https://www.amazon.com/ExciteR-Pyrethrin-Insecticide-Concentrate-Mosquitoes/dp/B005CT9IDO

spray your shirts and pants for mosquitos and no seeums. I think better for garments than DEET

Id still take both though

IC B2

B
Buzzie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks everyone

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Sawyers spray seems to work well. For all over repellent the ones with Picardin seem more effective than DEET but bring both as one might work better for mosquitoes and another for flies & gnats. If no seeums are around then sealing up your sleeves helps or a double net jacket and pants like the Sea to Summit is really the best. These can be treated with Sawyers or the Picardin and the bugs don't even land on them. Ask your guide if it will be mosquitoes only or black flies and no seeums which are an even worse nuisance. If all three I would get the mesh gear including the head cover.

When I worked in Alaska I became immune to mosquitoes but never to the others.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More inclined to mesh head gear and gloves so one can simply cover up. Mosquitoes not so bad, but white socks will sneak in beneath pant legs and cuffs.

Permethrin is more of an insecticide than a repellent.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/24/20.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Using INDUSTRIAL insecticides on clothing is NOT recommended. Use them as directed for facilities, farms, ranch use, etc.

Use *PERMETHRIN* (Sawyers or equivalent) designed for clothing...spray or immersion. Polymerized permethrin clothing ...purchased or your own items sent to a processor.

Use Picaridin 20 for open skin use or wear headnets, gloves, etc. Follow instructions EXACTLY!

STUDY UP PEOPLE!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
...What Sheriff Joe said.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
...What Sheriff Joe said.
Several trips to Zimbabwe, I sprayed my clothing with Sawyers, and was satisfied with the results. Little, or no problem with mozzies, or sand fleas, or ticks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

BTW, Midway has 24 oz spray bottles of Sawyer's for $11.19! Great price.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Have not used on wool, but have used Sawyers on cotton and various synthetics. It is very effective.

NRA Patron
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Search Permethrin on Amazon and mix it yourself in a spray bottle. I'd say buy the Permethrin SFR concentrate but I don't think Cali will let you have it in that concentration. Been mixing it and treating my hunting clothes for years and haven't found a tick yet. Works pretty good on flying critters too. Check the dogs topical flea and tick products, many use permethrin so when mixed properly it's safe for dogs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tstorm1
Search Permethrin on Amazon and mix it yourself in a spray bottle. I'd say buy the Permethrin SFR concentrate but I don't think Cali will let you have it in that concentration. Been mixing it and treating my hunting clothes for years and haven't found a tick yet. Works pretty good on flying critters too. Check the dogs topical flea and tick products, many use permethrin so when mixed properly it's safe for dogs.

THAT product is NOT designed for clothing use. Usually a higher concentration of petroleum distillates.

Any miscalculation in mixing over .5% (point 5) may result in poisoning! (you)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by Tstorm1

THAT product is NOT designed for clothing use. Usually a higher concentration of petroleum distillates.

Any miscalculation in mixing over .5% (point 5) may result in poisoning! (you)

What?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

From their site:

Q
Can I dilute your permethrin to treat (soak) my clothes like the Sawyer product?
Is there any reason I couldn't buy your 36% permethrin and dilute it to the same .5% that comes in OUtdoor clothing applications for use in treating clothing to repel mosquitos?
A
You cannot use the Permethrin SFR on clothing at all. Even though the products contain the same active ingredients, the formulations are very different and most of our permethrin products contain chemicals that are unsafe to have next to your skin. We do carry Tick Block which is an appropriate formulation for clothing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 3,178 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.