Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
I traded into a basically new 700Ti 7-08 a few years back. It came with box and all. Every year since I’ve made some modification, just tinkering around with it, but have yet to fire a round . I may not ever fire it just because I like tinkering around and make some new plan. Damn fire is to blame for the “grand” plan! 😩.

First year cerakoted it black and had Kampled flute the handle. Next year I put in a Calvin Elite Two Stage trigger, the best trigger I’ve used to date. This year I put a VX2 2-7 Ultralight on it......I thought this was the year it gets sighted in and then I thought why not do one of those MPI 14-16ozs stocks. Not bright I know, but I have a secret I have never had a 708 that I’ve like! I’ve had a few too: custom shop Mannlicher, LVSF, and a Kimber Adirondack. They all got sold here in the fire.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Poll: 1) think I should stop f’ing around with it and just start using it or 2) keep tinkering?

Just bored waiting for this corona crap to end and for Turkey season to start........

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thats funny. Never even fired a shot out of it? You put all that money into something that may not even shoot for schidt... Generally when I "tinker" with something, I make damn sure it's going to shoot lights out. Then its earned a right to be tinkered with. With a reminton 700, I would have also checked it to be damn sure its going to function properly as well. I've had so many 700's fail to extract I wouldn't put a dime into one again... Maybe you should put sako extractor on the "tinkering" list...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I think you may have taken the advice "don't shoot the donor" a little too far, but if you're having fun thinking it through, then no harm done.

That said, I'd probably shoot it.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Shoot it!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would of thought it might weigh a bit less with that new stock?? Mine comes in at 5 lbs 14.5 ozs with Talleys & a Leupold 6x36.
[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

I've tinkered with mine a bit also - but do like to shoot it since I am a huge 7MM-08 junkie and try to have 4 or 5 in the safe at all times. I'm currently down to only 2 but will be fixing that soon.

Anyway, thats a nice looking rifle, but you really should go out and shoot it, bet it shoots just fine.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go shoot it! You can keep tinkering after shooting it. It may not shoot to your expectations and then “Need” a new barrel!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I doubt anyone with 31k posts has time to shoot much of anything. Much less have time to witness SEVERAL 700s fail.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t understand why you have t fired it yet? What if there’s a problem with the barrel?

First thing I do with any new-to-me rifle is go shoot it. Make certain everything actually functions and it shoots a known good load into a reasonable group.

Any time I make a change or upgrade I immediately test again.

But to me rifles are to be shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd shoot it, but in any event, just say no to Sako extractors in M700s...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thats funny. Never even fired a shot out of it? You put all that money into something that may not even shoot for schidt... Generally when I "tinker" with something, I make damn sure it's going to shoot lights out. Then its earned a right to be tinkered with. With a reminton 700, I would have also checked it to be damn sure its going to function properly as well. I've had so many 700's fail to extract I wouldn't put a dime into one again... Maybe you should put sako extractor on the "tinkering" list...

I’ve cycled rounds through and the previous own had targets with factory fodder. Was a shooter then so I think it will work for me as a hand loader.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I would of thought it might weigh a bit less with that new stock?? Mine comes in at 5 lbs 14.5 ozs with Talleys & a Leupold 6x36.
[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

I've tinkered with mine a bit also - but do like to shoot it since I am a huge 7MM-08 junkie and try to have 4 or 5 in the safe at all times. I'm currently down to only 2 but will be fixing that soon.

Anyway, thats a nice looking rifle, but you really should go out and shoot it, bet it shoots just fine.

Stock is 22ozs.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If it was my rifle I would shoot and hunt the snot out of it. Nice rifle in a great round.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
I traded into a basically new 700Ti 7-08 a few years back. It came with box and all. Every year since I’ve made some modification, just tinkering around with it, but have yet to fire a round . I may not ever fire it just because I like tinkering around and make some new plan. Damn fire is to blame for the “grand” plan! 😩.

First year cerakoted it black and had Kampled flute the handle. Next year I put in a Calvin Elite Two Stage trigger, the best trigger I’ve used to date. This year I put a VX2 2-7 Ultralight on it......I thought this was the year it gets sighted in and then I thought why not do one of those MPI 14-16ozs stocks. Not bright I know, but I have a secret I have never had a 708 that I’ve like! I’ve had a few too: custom shop Mannlicher, LVSF, and a Kimber Adirondack. They all got sold here in the fire.

Poll: 1) think I should stop f’ing around with it and just start using it or 2) keep tinkering?

Just bored waiting for this corona crap to end and for Turkey season to start........

Rebore it to 338 federal

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for you if you got money to burn

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Dre
Good for you if you got money to burn
which is why I do a few thing per year. No rush.......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd shoot it, but then I'd have already shot it if in your shoes.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I guess it is yours, so do with it whatever you like. If it was mine however, I'd be hunting with it.

I personally can't see any point in tinkering with a rifle if you haven't shot it, and identified some issue with it that needs fixing. FWIW I had the use of a 700 Ti for a short while, and I thought it was a perfectly good hunting rifle as-is. A few rounds to zero, which also showed there was absolutely nothing wrong with the accuracy, and I went out and killed a heap of pigs with it. I wanted to keep it, but so did its owner.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful rig man!! Go bloody it up with a hog while your waiting on turkey season. I bet she’s a shooter. Mine delivers Sierra 160 HPBT’s like a champ.
Gotta love the TI’s and the 7-08. It takes critters with authority and then some. I don’t know how many hogs I’ve got with plain vanilla 140 Nosler ballistic tips and have yet to catch one.
But.... I’m the same way about tinkering with guns. I’ll mess around with one and move to the next “last project”
😂😂

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Choot, Choot, Choot!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm just the opposite. I only tinker if it don't shoot.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.