Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Carl,

For the small-stream, relatively unpressured "pan" trout you're after, the selection Wycoyotehunter suggested pretty much covers it. I would add, however, a relatively small grasshopper fly for late summer. When I had time to tie my own I liked the Pheasant Hopper (partly because I always had a lot of pheasant feathers), but anything in about the #4-6 range will work at that time of year.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks John.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
T
Mtnboomer
Can't argue with any of the flies suggested … however you might want to take a gander at Caylorscustomflies.com . I've purchased flies from him in the past and he ties all the attractors , nymph, streamers you'd need for Big Sky FFing- plus they're tied here in the USofA and he can custom tie whatever else you might want . I live near Bozeman and avoid crowded places like the Madison , mostly fishing smaller freestones - and depending on when you come out here don't forget about the backcountry lakes they can be very good in the spring when creek/rivers are blown out . My personal fav's for creeks and such : Royal-basically any of the Trude style flies- size ten when the water's up, 16's later, they make a good caddis imitation in smaller sizes AND they can be swung downstream like a wet fly- especially when there are Brookies around . 'nother fly you might try is called the Purple Haze - basically a violet shade of a Parachute Adams works well especially towards evening when light gets dimmer . Stimulators, Elk hair caddis, House and Lot Turcks Tarantula- good one when the water is rough . Good luck and tight lines-
Tortoise

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,490
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.