Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It is on a hill. On the high side, took a turning plow to help from washing.

I really need to terrace it good.

I don’t have a flat spot on my 20 acres. Which is fine. Most of it is pine trees.

When i bought years back. I wanted to dam up a holler and build a pond. Way to sandy for that.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just kidding Big Dave. At least you a can get your pictures posted. I ran into a snag with Imgur, no new pictures will upload.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I use post image

For some reason it rotates the pics.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got one of the best gardens I've ever had this year. Had to cover things up a few times due to frost and freezing temps, but things have done well. I put the garden in a different spot this year, and it's paid off by being virtually weed and grass free.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Looks like it is going great.

Second crop of corn for the last half of the summer too.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've been trying to get my wife to scale back her garden, so we have more time to fish Ontario. We all know how fishing Canada is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
in my small garden in containers half drowned last week with 12.5 in of rain in 3 days. the plastic 55 gal drum cut long ways with 6 - 1/2 in holes could not drain fast enuff-

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Corn is coming in.

Prolly picked close to 600 ears so far.

G90. Peaches and Cream. And Bodacious.

Some of the field corn stalks are 10’ tall. Hoping to save some of it for the deer. If dang coons don’t get it.

Cucumbers and squash about played out. Heat it getting to it.

Got 4 pretty watermelons. Crows prolly will get them.

Dave

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Buds just now forming on the tomatoes and cucumbers.
The potatoes and garlic are are starting to die back time to dig em shortly.
Okra starting to on on a growth spurt.
Beets are plugging along.
Need the upcoming predicted rains.

DANG "NOSEEUMS" have hatched out and garden is off limits in the evening.
They may be smal,l but the bite hurts and the site become a itchy spot soon after

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This was on the car Wed and Thurs ( June 17 & 18) morning this week. You can imagine I'm not getting any tomatoes yet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Snow on the 7th, then an even later frost than last year (June 9 last year) . I wonder what next year will bring?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Garden is winding down.

Heat getting to everything but the peas, a few of the heat tolerant maters and of course peppers.

Dang coons got the rest of the sweet corn. Dealt with a couple using dog proofs.

Dave

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Dave, what is "dog proofs"?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenacp
Dave, what is "dog proofs"?

They're "dog proof" traps, made so an animal will reach it's paw down the tube and get caught. I have lots of coon problems, and keep 4 of these set out all year around the place. I've caught 6 in the past month, plus 2 possums and a skunk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Garden is winding down.

Heat getting to everything but the peas, a few of the heat tolerant maters and of course peppers.

Dang coons got the rest of the sweet corn. Dealt with a couple using dog proofs.

I've already picked 3 different plantings of green beans, one in the high tunnel and 2 in the garden. First planting of sweet corn is gone, secind is in now, and the third is not far behind. We're done with the cucumbers. except for eating a few along. Cabbage is about done, so is broccoli. Tomatoes are starting to come in, squash is still bearing, jalepenos are coming in. Still waiting on the bell peppers, watermelons, okra, purple hulls, butterpeas, and I have 3 more plantings of green beans. I do the green beans for the local produce auction, sell them in 1/2 bushel boxes. Prices so far have ran from a high of $25 to a low of $20. I also raise blackberries for the market, and they are just now coming in. We sell them both in quart and pint boxes. Prices typically run from $4-$5 a quart.

I also have pumpkins and Indian corn planted, and we'll use those for decorating, the leftover pumpkins will become targets. Coons worked on my first planting of corn before I got them with the dog proofs.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

They're "dog proof" traps, made so an animal will reach it's paw down the tube and get caught. I have lots of coon problems, and keep 4 of these set out all year around the place. I've caught 6 in the past month, plus 2 possums and a skunk.

I like that trapsusa.com brand. Made in USA.

I’ll put 6-8 out around my garden.

Made some tethers out of stainless cable to tie with. Fence post, tree, tire rim.

Just be careful what’s in reach of the coon. It’ll be destroyed.

Good for coons amd possums. Made to keep dogs out.

Cheaper than box traps.

Last edited by BigDave39355; 07/04/20.

Dave

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The radishes are not doing well here, Tomatoes till the cows come home if all the plants continue to do well, many volunteer plants in the other rows.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What I did have got chewed up by hail this past week.I could not have done a better job if I ran over the whole thing with a lawnmower.

I use to plant a bigger garden, but at 7600 feet I don't have long growing season and had to be careful what I planted. However it seemed I only got vegetables one year out of three and the hail got the rest.

When I lived in NM and the kids were small,we never bought vegetables.We grew and froze all our needs. Now with only the wife and I,we looked at one of those greenhouse kits.I decided I could buy a LOT of vegetables for $7-$8 K .I wouldn't live long enough to break even.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/05/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This year our garden is way late. Normally the green beans are gone, but this year, they are just now blooming and its so hot the blooms wont hardly set. Rows of beans that we normally get 3 gal. bucket to the row.... this year we're getting 1/2 gallon bucket. It's enough to eat but not enough to can. Butter beans are blooming, but it's too early to tell how they will do. Purple hull peas are doing great. Rain hit them just right about 2 weeks ago and they went to blooming and putting on little peas. Best peas patch we've had in a few years. Squash, cucumbers, melons, etc. are all coming along, just late because of the late planting.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Harvested some garlic the other day. Not nearly what longarm has, but it will eat good. Next year will likely be a whole 4x8 bed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Have some lettuce going that I can harvest a few leaves off of every couple of days to add to my salad. Tater plants are going great guns, can't wait to see what's underneath.

Tomatoes and peppers still only 14" tall or so under the hoops with plastic covering. Tomatillo has flowers under there but I'm not seeing any fruit set. Was down to 44F again last night.

One variety of strawberry is putting out a small handful of berries every day or two. The majority of the plants are a June bearing one and it seems any blooms they had got frozen by the late frosts. Haven't seen berry one this year on them. I'm going to split that one variety this fall, it's got little tiny berries that taste like strawberry candy. Way better than the June bearing.

My artichoke plant from last year is still growing. Hoping to get a couple more chokes from it and try to overwinter it again for next year. Maybe split the crown and get some more plants.

Cabbage plants OK, but some were stunted by those frosts on 17 & 18 June. The broccoli too I think. One has a small head growing that doesn't appear to be getting much larger. I may cut it and go for side shoots and hope for the best now that we're having decent weather.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Mine was done first week of July except for jalapeños

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.