Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by T_Inman
My second bull. Where I shot this one, there wasn't a tree around for a LONG ways. Got caught in the open and he pushed a herd of cows to right at 70yds from me. Saw him bugle in the scope before I shot him. Didn't realize how busted up he was, but was pretty tickled with him.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Wyoming Elk 2015 by Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Wyoming Elk 2015 by Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]

There was a few hundred elk up on that butte the other day.
I believe there's a mineral that area is lacking in the feed which leads to brittle antlers. It's probably also due to them always being in the sun, and the WGFD managing that area for bull quantity. It may as well be a bunch of dudes in a bar fighting over one girl. I think it all adds up to busted antlers, as 99% of the bulls out there are that way.

It's a unique hunt, regardless. Glad you got to experience it.
I'm glad I got to experience it too, just wish I'd get another crack at it, but that's very unlikely.

I know several lifelong locals who have never drawn it, but with the draw luck that guy you apply with has....I wouldn't be so sure...

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2017 raghorn I took on the last day I could hunt that season.
I don't know why people get married during hunting season...it's so inconsiderate.

Bull calf taken during a late cow hunt. They're so much easier to get outlaugh

Another last day raghorn I helped a guy out with this last year:

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bulls we took in 2017

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
As I've not pulled the trigger on an elk yet, if some of you guys would kindly pm me the GPS coordinates where those pictures were taken, I'd be much obliged....grin.

Y'all got me drooling. I might have to prioritise some things.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My second bull. Where I shot this one, there wasn't a tree around for a LONG ways. Got caught in the open and he pushed a herd of cows to right at 70yds from me. Saw him bugle in the scope before I shot him. Didn't realize how busted up he was, but was pretty tickled with him.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Wyoming Elk 2015 by .com/photos/150924633N06/]Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Wyoming Elk 2015 by .com/photos/150924633N06/]Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]

There was a few hundred elk up on that butte the other day.
I believe there's a mineral that area is lacking in the feed which leads to brittle antlers. It's probably also due to them always being in the sun, and the WGFD managing that area for bull quantity. It may as well be a bunch of dudes in a bar fighting over one girl. I think it all adds up to busted antlers, as 99% of the bulls out there are that way.

It's a unique hunt, regardless. Glad you got to experience it.
I'm glad I got to experience it too, just wish I'd get another crack at it, but that's very unlikely.

I know several lifelong locals who have never drawn it, but with the draw luck that guy you apply with has....I wouldn't be so sure...
His draw luck in UNREAL. Probably why we both put in with him. laugh

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
100 pointer?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
124, it was.

I'd take it over the Gila in NM, the breaks in MT and anywhere in AZ or UT.
There might be a select few southern Idaho elk hunts I'd take instead, but even that would be a maybe, and it would only be for the lesser chance of busted up antlers.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy thanks Ted. I'm still sittin on max across the board, scared to cash an in!!😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Scenarshooter, my hat is off to you man. You’ve killed a pile of bulls of a lifetime for most guys. I’ve been in on a good bit of elk killing but nothing like the bulls you post every year. Amazing

Tinman, I’ve long watched your posts and you are an elk shooting SOB too. Obviously not afraid to punch a tag on a legal bull and call it good big or not, you’re what Joe Everyman wishes he was.

SLM and NM, you guys obviously get into some monsters in NM. I have cousins who live in your state and when they occasionally draw a ML tag, none of them bow hunt, they say it’s incredible. You guys obviously prove their point.

Tip of the hat to all of you guys, not just everybody is good at finding and killing elk, even fewer are great at it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid

Tinman, I’ve long watched your posts and you are an elk shooting SOB too. Obviously not afraid to punch a tag on a legal bull and call it good big or not, you’re what Joe Everyman wishes he was.

Thanks Kid...I'm sure I could kill bigger bulls if I really wanted to, but I am usually more interested in filling the freezer with something decent then getting back to my beloved upland bird hunting, than in king sized critters.

Being that I normally get an extra cow tag every year I should probably rethink my strategy...but my way makes me happy so I keep doing it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Copy thanks Ted. I'm still sittin on max across the board, scared to cash an in!!😂😂

With max points I'd be looking at units 30 or 124 and I wouldn't be afraid to cash in...good luck with that pot of gold you're sitting on...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ted, I’m Leary of cashing them in, as I’ll never be in this position again.. antelope yes, elk and deer, even with max I might not ever draw, being 45...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see your point, for sure. My thoughts are that there generally are fewer and fewer tags every year, more people putting in for those fewer tags and in many cases: declining trophy quality.

That, and the older you get, the harder it is to play this sport. You can't take those points with you when you go...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh I know brother, thought about goin guided, but they have shiit years too... need to draw, dedicate a couple weeks, archery/rifle and let er chew

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Oh I know brother, thought about goin guided, but they have shiit years too... need to draw, dedicate a couple weeks, archery/rifle and let er chew

1. If you're going to go guided, think Cody area if you aren't afraid of horses.
2. If you have a choice between 30 and 124...there isn't one. 124 without a doubt.
3. A guide probably isn't going to be all that helpful in 124, its almost all public or private that you can access. The only secret to hunting 124 is how much time you have and laying off the trigger.
4. Don't go unless you can spend a ton of time, its a longgg season...those elk are here today, gone tomorrow. Time spent, rather than timing, is the limiting factor on who gets the best bulls and who doesn't. Its not a normal elk hunt at all, many aren't where they "should be".

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak

WOW!! Nice "boools"....really nice!

We're living in a great era for big elk.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

September 2018.

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 61 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.