Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I went in the grocery store this morning to buy drinks to take to work this coming week. Plenty of sodas, water, etc. but the eggs and milk were wiped out.

There was a lady ( wearing a surgical mask too) in  the check out line in front of me bought 27 dozen eggs and 10 gallons of milk.  I guess she got all they had left in stock.  Why try to stockpile/hoard eggs and milk?  They won't keep long term.

This grab/hoard behavior beats anything I have ever seen.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
easy to freeze the milk
eggs.... naw...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Eggs will keep for up to 6 months if you coat them with oil. At least that is what I have been told. I think that is even unrefrigerated. We have laying hens, if you don’t wash them and remove the coating until you are ready to use them, they last for quite some time.

CK
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think the main effect of Corona is that it induces panic and hysteria.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
I think the main effect of Corona is that it induces panic and hysteria.

That is exactly right. Use some common sense things to avoid the sickness but this going apeshit is totally unecessary.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Eggs will keep for up to 6 months if you coat them with oil. At least that is what I have been told. I think that is even unrefrigerated. We have laying hens, if you don’t wash them and remove the coating until you are ready to use them, they last for quite some time.
A freshly laid egg, unwashed, will keep a month sitting on the kitchen counter. The hen leaves a bacteria resistant coating on the shell that's been washed off of grocery store eggs. Oil might keep bacteria out but how about the bacteria that are already on them when you buy them?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i went yesterday about 1\4 of the shelf were bare.ththe people were filling there carts up like it were the last day to shop .the check out girl was suprised that i only had a few things .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We picked up a few groceries yesterday, the store had lots of signs up limiting how much customers could buy per day. Limits included 2 cartons of milk any style/size, 2 packages of bread products of any style/size, 4 cans of soup of any brand/size, 2 packages of pasta any style/size, 1 package of TP. I'm pretty sure eggs and butter were limited too but didn't look to see what they were. My wife talked a gal she knows who works there who looked frazzled, lots of folks in the check out lines were being rude when they were told they were over their limit. She said someone had just thrown a package of butter at a cashier when they were told they were over their daily limit.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Squidge
... She said someone had just thrown a package of butter at a cashier when they were told they were over their daily limit.

Now that is just plain rude. It is a good thing Woodrow Call did not see that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandmother used to keep eggs in a crock with lime water. They would last until the new chickens would start laying again.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I went in the grocery store this morning to buy drinks to take to work this coming week. Plenty of sodas, water, etc. but the eggs and milk were wiped out.

There was a lady ( wearing a surgical mask too) in  the check out line in front of me bought 27 dozen eggs and 10 gallons of milk.  I guess she got all they had left in stock.  Why try to stockpile/hoard eggs and milk?  They won't keep long term.

This grab/hoard behavior beats anything I have ever seen.

Grocery stores need to implement strict limits per person during this emergency. The time to stock up was BEFORE the emergency. During the emergency, the main danger is stores with empty shelves because people who didn't already maintain a back supply of essentials are hoarding during the emergency.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, milk will freeze, just fine. I have a couple gallons in the freezer right now.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'm glad I don't depend on grocery stores for my supply of eggs. I get them fresh from the hen. Sadly, due to recent predation on them, though, I'm only getting just enough for my own needs, and just barely that. Ordinarily, this would be the time where I go pick up some chicks, but I've sort of battened down the hatches here, and don't want to go into the public for that. Hopefully, I don't lose anymore hens. If not, I'm good with eggs till next October, when my hens usually go into dormancy and stop laying till late December, early January. Ordinarily, I will have stockpiled enough to get me through that period, but (absent a new supply of hens), this year I likely will be consuming them as I get them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'm glad I don't depend on grocery stores for my supply of eggs. I get them fresh from the hen. Sadly, due to recent predation on them, though, I'm only getting just enough for my own needs, and just barely that. Ordinarily, this would be the time where I go pick up some chicks, but I've sort of battened down the hatches here, and don't want to go into the public for that. Hopefully, I don't lose anymore hens. If not, I'm good with eggs till next October, when my hens usually go into dormancy and stop laying till December. Ordinarily, I will have stockpiled enough to get me through that period, but (absent a new supply of hens), this year I likely will be consuming them as I get them.

I was in town Friday, picked up 5 pullet chicks to augment my flock...was in the plans before the COVID.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can the regular home user take some eggs out of the shell, put them in a freezer bag & freeze them?
I know in the food service industry they can buy pails of eggs either fresh or frozen.
My wife used to work for Au Bon Pain and they bought the pails of fresh eggs because they did not want to deal with having to thaw pails of eggs in a cooler.
I don't know if they do anything different in food service to the eggs they freeze.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How to preserve eggs. I've never frozen milk, but I know people who do. I've got cows I can milk right now if the store runs out of milk.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Maybe she is making frozen breakfast burritos...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Glad the liberals, hippies, and potheads here aren't hoarders. Went to the store yesterday and there was maybe six people there and not one thing I couldn't find. TP isle was loaded, but they did have a limit of five packs per person. Could've bought five 24-roll mega-packs if I wanted. Several brands were even on sale. Milk, cheese, eggs, bread were business as usual.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Maybe buying for others?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by EdM
Maybe buying for others?

Bingo!

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 3,246 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.