Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Anyone have any experience or knowledge with them. Has myself talked into buying one until I watched a u-tube video claiming that they wouldn't function well with steel cases. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My friend had two of them he had a bunch of after market magazines. We could not get either one of them to run reliably with either magazine. I don’t recall what ammunition but it was brass cased. I cannot think of a great reason to own one.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Buy a Ruger American Ranch Bolt Action Rifle in that caliber.
Mine was very accurate and reliable with the Factory 10 & 20 round mags. Even with the cheap steel cases ammo.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to perfectunion.com and ask your question. A couple of Mini 30 owners can maybe put you over the line. Either way. The Ruger American bolt action is a viable alternative. The magazine issue is a non starter with Ruger factory magazines. The real problem is steel cases ammo and hard primers and a too short firing pin. Look for Sandog. He'll explain.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My brother owns two Ruger mini 30s. He likes them. I owned a blued one for a few years in the late 90s. I never experienced any issues with steel case ammo as long I used OE magazines. I have now gone the AK route for my 7.62x39 shooting. Good quality AKs have become increasingly more costly along with good foreign magazines.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you want to run steel cased ammo you will have to get a longer firing pin from firing pins.com and have it fitted to the bolt.

NRA life of duty member
TN Firearms Association member
Hand gun carry permit
Law enforcement carry card
C&R license from atf
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It says it's for a mini 14 when you look it up but it will work in the mini 30 also

https://www.firingpins.com/ruger-mini-14-firing-pin-2470

NRA life of duty member
TN Firearms Association member
Hand gun carry permit
Law enforcement carry card
C&R license from atf
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
There is a video out there were a guy had issues with light strikes. If I remember, he smoothed out the rough bolt face.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
sure would be a nice gun if it did not have so many issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless you are in CA or something I'd go with an AR or AK in 7.62x39.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had one--it wasn't that it was a bad gun ( just like theres no bad dogs--just bad owners) but i released it back into the wild.if you insist on having one you have to the adjustable gas block--it's worth the money

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
With the rising prices of AKs, a Mini 30 is not a bad option at all. Just stick with Ruger mags.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Get the adjustable gas block and it will run like a sewing machine.

If you plan to put a scope on it have several because they like to shell crosshairs.

This can be worked out by getting an Archangel stock package.
It takes some of the back and forth shock out of the equation.

Something to do with the double pulse of the action.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have always liked the looks of the mini 30 rifle, but their accuracy was/is horrendous. I'f shooting 7.62x39 was on the agenda, I'd opt for a good ol SKS over the Ruger:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That 10 shot group was shot with factory irons, but its better than any Ruger 30 I've seen. No problems shooting steel cased ammo out of this yugoslavian model either.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The SKS is a great rifle, I would love one with a more "American" stock on it. For some reason the AK's and SKS stocks are hard for me to shoulder and fire reasonably accurate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got an American made AK47 last year from Century Arms called the RAS47. Mine came with Magpul furniture. I put a Vortec red dot in a Mid West Industries mount and it is lights out accurate and reliable. I put the red dot on it because of low accuracy expectations. I'm not great with a red dot, but with Tula soft points it will put 3 shots in less than an inch at 75 yards. And it has never jammed. I would take one over a Mini 30 every time. Here is a nice writeup:

https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/rifles-reviews/review-century-arms-ras47-review

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The SKS is a great rifle, I would love one with a more "American" stock on it. For some reason the AK's and SKS stocks are hard for me to shoulder and fire reasonably accurate.

Yeah, mine is way too short on the lop. I put a slip on recoil pad on it and its still a little short. I do like how it shoots though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp

SKS ‘s have a s hit trigger .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
👍

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IDpanhandle
Anyone have any experience or knowledge with them. Has myself talked into buying one until I watched a u-tube video claiming that they wouldn't function well with steel cases. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Been awhile since I had my Mini-30. Grouped really well for that platform, and didn't have any problems with primers used in steel-cased ammo. Feeding, however, was not reliable with steel-cased ammo. IIRC, rounds would nosedive and with no sort of 'feedramp' it would fail to chamber.

I got new mags from Ruger, tried tweaking the mags, etc. but eventually got tired of dorking with it. Later bought a Saiga and SKS and never looked back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,316 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.