Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had a recent one. It ran perfect. Way overpassed though. It fed everything but you really need the longer aftermarket firing pin if you want it to ignite ALL the potential steel case ammo you come across and you need a smaller gas port kit. Accuracy of mine was about 2 MOA. This was a 2016 model.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
I got an American made AK47 last year from Century Arms called the RAS47. Mine came with Magpul furniture. I put a Vortec red dot in a Mid West Industries mount and it is lights out accurate and reliable. I put the red dot on it because of low accuracy expectations. I'm not great with a red dot, but with Tula soft points it will put 3 shots in less than an inch at 75 yards. And it has never jammed. I would take one over a Mini 30 every time. Here is a nice writeup:

https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/rifles-reviews/review-century-arms-ras47-review

I gave Century a chance despite their low reputation. It was a mistake. I bought a C39xV2, the milled reciever AK. The bolt and carrier immediately started to deform, their metallurgy is pure [bleep]. After I decided to sell it and went to remove the gas tub for cleaning I noticed the little lever that holds the handguard in place had literally snapped in half on it's own!!! I probably had less than 500 rounds through the gun total. Never again.

Last edited by justin10mm; 03/25/20.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
My friend had two of them he had a bunch of after market magazines. We could not get either one of them to run reliably with either magazine. I don’t recall what ammunition but it was brass cased. I cannot think of a great reason to own one.

I have a few 30s I think they are pretty cool and fun

But I learned you are best with OEM mags
Maybe there is some very good aftermarkets out there but I have not found them yet
Had a bunch of Tripple K and they didnt function at all They never replaced those but they sent me a bunch of newer 10rd ones I have not tried them
they have been sitting
I pretty much only shoot steel they eat them just fine

Personally I think they are just fun guns
Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 03/27/20.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The SKS is a great rifle, I would love one with a more "American" stock on it. For some reason the AK's and SKS stocks are hard for me to shoulder and fire reasonably accurate.

SKS ‘s have a s hit trigger .

SKS really are not heavy triggers that I"ve fired. Same with my AK. But they have a lot of movement. You have to get used to that part, kind of like shooting a Glock or a clone. Once used to it plenty good.

We used to shoot ball through SKS and no problem hitting 2.5 gallon herbicide jugs out to 300 and 350.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
OH.... wouldn't I love a modern mini-30 in BO, with the old school factory wood and SS folder....that took AR mags and had trijicon night sights.....
SPLOOSH!

A-TEAM, B1tch!

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Last edited by ringworm; 03/27/20.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to have a Mini30. The magazine situation was pretty bleak back then in the '90s. I even welded latch lugs to aftermarket magazines in an attempt to get them to function reliably. They never did. The only ones I found that worked were some clear plastic ones (Eagles IIRC).

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
As a counter point one wants to ask if you wanted it because you had a ton of 7.62 x 39, that's cool I guess with the right magazines, if you wanted it "just because" then have at it, if you wanted it because you could not shoot deer in your state with a 5.56 that's cool as well, OTOH if you were trying to get something that would out perform a 5.56 on deer and other medium thin skinned animals you would be wasting your money. A cheap PSA 16 inch barreled AR15 with its ubiquitous magazines, and off the shelf 64 grain WW power points will do the same thing if not more. Even for other purposes the 55 grain FMJ bullet is capable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
OH.... wouldn't I love a modern mini-30 in BO, with the old school factory wood and SS folder....that took AR mags and had trijicon night sights.....
SPLOOSH!

A-TEAM, B1tch!

I had the same thing. It was pretty cool except for the mediocre accuracy. I tried a bunch of loads, and they all shoot mediocre.
Stock was really solid on mine. I even got an aftermarket scope mount. Kinda miss it, but Ar15s were a step up.
If I could get one cheap, I would for nostalgia.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
most all will shoot minute-of-five-gallon bucket accuracy.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You got to have the right mindset for them. Think of them like a big, powerful, .22 plinker. Good for about 100 yards max.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As said, if you want a serious rifle rather than a project and AK's are out...SKS. Trigger freaks go elsewhere.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Unless you are in CA or something I'd go with an AR or AK in 7.62x39.

Agreed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Palmetto State has an AR pattern rifle in 7.62x39 called the KS-47, which takes AK mags. I have one and it shoots well. They have a lot of good options...nitrided barrels, M-lock forends & such.

They are also building an AK now, but I'll leave it to others to judge if they make a good AK.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
I got an American made AK47 last year from Century Arms called the RAS47. Mine came with Magpul furniture. I put a Vortec red dot in a Mid West Industries mount and it is lights out accurate and reliable. I put the red dot on it because of low accuracy expectations. I'm not great with a red dot, but with Tula soft points it will put 3 shots in less than an inch at 75 yards. And it has never jammed. I would take one over a Mini 30 every time. Here is a nice writeup:

https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/rifles-reviews/review-century-arms-ras47-review

Had one of those for a while. Actually worked very well and much more accurate than any Mini-14 I ever owned.

The one Ruger Mini-30 I owned shot decent. 2 MOA 3-shot groups at 100 yards. The only problem I ever had with it was with the magazines. Anything other than the Factory Ruger 5 or 10 rounders did not work well.

Like I mentioned before, buy a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39 with Factory Ruger 10 round mags. Accurate, Reliable, and very handy little Carbine.

On a related note, my LGS just took a original Norinco Mak-90 in on consignment that’s still new in the original box. I think they priced it at $999, if any ones interested, I can give you there phone #

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/15/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I have always liked the looks of the mini 30 rifle, but their accuracy was/is horrendous. I'f shooting 7.62x39 was on the agenda, I'd opt for a good ol SKS over the Ruger:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That 10 shot group was shot with factory irons, but its better than any Ruger 30 I've seen. No problems shooting steel cased ammo out of this yugoslavian model either.

Yep. I once had a Russian SKS that would shoot 1.5” 3 shot groups at 100 yards with open sights. With the cheap ammo.
Gave it to one of my nephews.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ringworm
SPLOOSH!

A-TEAM, B1tch!

Yep. They did look COOL !

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My father just bought one. Another member of our hunting party has one, too. They are light and easy to carry, and accurate enough for woods-distance hunting.

They're in NY, so an AR/AK/SKS is not an option without ridiculous-looking modifications.

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a stainless Ruger Mini 30 with synthetic stock in 7.62x 39 . Good condition, never hunted with. I inherited it from an elderly relative. It has a 2.5x7 Weaver scope mounted. Shoots reliably about a 2MOA rifle. Not my kind of rifle. What is it worth?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you do most of your shooting from the hip

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grew up hunting with a Mini-30, killed my first few deer with one. I don't know that I would ever buy another one but I am not letting go of the one I have. Not an ideal target rifle or battle rifle, but does fine in the woods at typical hunting distances.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (257 mag, 35, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 14 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,139
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.