Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, I made the decision to self quarantine today. Several reasons I've done this. I'm an optician working for Walmart, and as such am considered to be in a "non essential medical" classification. Strike one. I'm a Congestive Heart Failure survivor, which puts me at risk. Strike two. My Vision Center has been partially shuttered. We are only seeing patients who need emergency optical treatment, and have suspended sales of eyewear for the time being. Hours of operation have been cut, and we're falling all over each other trying to find stuff to do. I was given hours in the main store cashiering, but that just exposes me to more chances to come in contact with someone who's infected.

I don't want to steal hours off the other opticians. I'm the resident old fart in the crew. They need their hours just like the rest of us. I filled out the leave of absence paperwork this morning. They are saying here in MInnesota, we're still 10 days from the peak infection rate, so I guess at the very least, I'm off work for a couple weeks, but it could be much longer. My wife is relieved that I've take leave.

Oh well, here we go!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very smart move on your part. Plan for the worst hope for the best. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ten thousand plus square miles in this county and about 7,500 people. We have universally decided to stop waving at one another when passing on our remote highways.

1Minute
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Go outside and do something. I realize money is going to be short for a while. Shoot, fish,..... even a walk around town.
Probable the right move for your health and piece of mind. But don't shut up in the house.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I think you are damn smart!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been self quarantined since Mar 14th. Not so much because I'm afraid of the virus itself, just that the weather has been crappy, and I don't feel like going anywhere. Not great with crowds anyway. Was able to get out and rake leaves, pick up small tree droppings and trim and mow some of the yard last weekend. It will all come around and get back to semi-normal soon enough . . . I hope.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Well Jeff, we weren't about to go on an Ontario fishing trip.

Maybe by the end of the week you can be collecting that big money Oracle pay. laugh

On a serious note, take care.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from memecrunch.com]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco

Awe dang it, now his head is gonna swell up AGAIN!

Stay healthy.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just finished up my first fishing rod build. It came out pretty decent. I ordered a kit off Jan's Netcraft. Came with everything I needed to do the build. I've got a very basic rod building rack and a rod dryer. Thinking I might spin a rod for each of the kids. Gonna be doing some hiking to find some new deer hunting turf before all the snow goes away. I'll definitely keep busy.

Last edited by gophergunner; 03/23/20.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jeff, do you post pictures?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I just finished up my first fishing rod build. It came out pretty decent. I ordered a kit off Jan's Netcraft. Came with everything I needed to do the build. I've got a very basic rod building rack and a rod dryer. Thinking I might spin a rod for each of the kids. Gonna be doing some hiking to find some new deer hunting turf before all the snow goes away. I'll definitely keep busy.

Sounds like a good pastime.
Know a guy who makes really nice stuff. It's all in the details.. and now you have time to refine the detail stuff
Enjoy!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've got a Harley soft tail that needs some TLC, and since at age 74 I'm the youngest and healthiest member of my household, I think I'm going to spend the next several days in my shop. Once the bike is back in roadworthy shape, I just might practice some "social distancing" on two wheels! A helmet with a face shield, gloves, and leathers, and a few car lengths' worth of space between me and the rest of the people on the road, plus a "grumpy old man" attitude ought to serve to keep me healthy for quite a while!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Sounds like a good pastime.
Know a guy who makes really nice stuff. It's all in the details.. and now you have time to refine the detail stuff
Enjoy!

It's all in the details is a very accurate statement. This was a test run to see if I could do it. My finger dexterity leaves a bit to be desired these days, but the rod came out pretty good except that I used too much lacquer on the windings. I'll get a finer, better quality brush before I do the next one. I played around with a little custom wrap down by the handle, and it actually came out pretty good. Kind of a criss-cross pattern. I'm gonna do an ultralight for my daughter next, and then a muskie pole for her boyfriend.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Yep.

Best of luck!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Awe dang it, now his head is gonna swell up AGAIN!

Stay healthy.

My head's all ready so big I barely fit in the woods as it is! Seriously, I've got such a big noggin they had to special order me a helmet when I played football, and when we raced sleds, I had to special order a gigundus helmet to get one that fit.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're a good man gopher' and a good citizen. I hope you catch fish like never before with that new rod cool

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Every day is a "social distancing" day for me, by choice. Smart move on your behalf. Take care of #1.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been in self quarantine since November of 2016. Only go into town every 2-3 weeks as needed or if the wife needs meds. Freezer is stuffed full, just need milk and bread. Got a 13.5 pound sirloin roast thawing to make jerky. Got a front door in the garage for the one that needs replaced. Got a new post light in the garage to replace the one that’s rotted out.
Loaded 1000 rounds of 223 50 and 55 zambie max up to go along with the 1000 factory just in case the zambies decide to leave the demoncrat cities in search of rural blood. If all that doesn’t fill my time I got 1000 each of 380, 9mm, 357 mag, 41 mag and 45 ACP to load. Might coat them green just in case of zambies since they kill better.
In other words this is a normal time for a retired bum.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Swifty, your life sounds Idyllic to me. Best wishes to you sir, and thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I guess this would be a good chance to try my hand at reloading centerfire ammo. I've got a few weeks before fishing starts. Heck they were still driving on the ice yesterday up here.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12344mag, 163bc, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,734
Posts18,457,547
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.