Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I guess I'm a "jazz snob" of sorts, but I haven't cared what any of the big name rifle mfg'ers are building for quite a while now.

Fieldcraft was cool, but that's about it.

I can't be the only one.

Who's with me?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, uh, the last factory new gun I bought was a 9422m somewhere around 15 years ago. Before that was a 77/44 back in ‘99. They are both terribly boring guns. Large majority of my stuff is older than me and maybe even older than Ingwe.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I agree! Factory rifles are mostly kit rifles that someone else put together (not well) and they need taken apart and reassembled, sometimes with better parts.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, they suck balls...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Even the really cheap/inexpensive ones are chidt now days:

Even the really old factory rifles suck big time:

Been having a lot of fun with one factory rifle in particular though:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Higbean
I guess I'm a "jazz snob" of sorts, but I haven't cared what any of the big name rifle mfg'ers are building for quite a while now.

I can't be the only one.

Who's with me?

I don't own a factory rifle. I rather get exactly what I want or at least think I want! smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I can't be the only one.

Who's with me?

Not me, I used to always be building stuff, but I’m down to only one custom and I would get rid of it if I could get somewhere near what it owes me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been really impressed with several factory rifles the past couple of years:

1. Barrett Fieldcraft - light done right, great parts put together very well. The #2 contoured cerakoted special run is exactly how I would have built one as a custom.

2. Seekins Havak PH2 - sporter weight long range rifle - same deal as above, great parts put together very well

Those two are more expensive than most factory rifles but for an off the shelf rifle they are both top notch.....actually they are top notch when compared to a custom rifle.

Looking at others, the Havak Element and Sig Cross should be really neat off the shelf rifles. I'll likely give the Cross a try mainly because of it's adjust-ability to see how it works with kids..

None of this was a cut on custom guns, I've just been impressed with the design/parts/build quality/performance of the two I mentioned.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’d rather talk about the Corona Virus than Remingtons latest offering.

Meanwhile BSA is excited Stevens is chambering 30-06 again

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is the last factory rifle I snagged. Not sure if it’ll get the 1-8 Krieger I’ve got and another Legend yet. May just shoot it and see what the heck is up with it.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Decided very late last December that 2020 was gonna hunt with a factory rifle and factory ammo. First time in at least 20+ years.

Went thru a bunch of 'em at the gun counter and settled on a CA Mesa in 6.5 Creed. Scooped up a bunch of boxes of ammo in different weights and headed out the door.

Settled on the 95 gr. V-MAX that Hornady offers for the little critters, the 143 gr. ELD-X in both Hornady and Black Hills dress for everything up through Elk, and if I draw Moose I'll switch to the 140 gr. AFrame that Swift loads.

2021? I'll handload for the Mesa, then a year on probably move it on down the road....

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Haha😂😂

I agree Jeff, pretty much build what I want.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've been really impressed with several factory rifles the past couple of years:

1. Barrett Fieldcraft - light done right, great parts put together very well. The #2 contoured cerakoted special run is exactly how I would have built one as a custom.

2. Seekins Havak PH2 - sporter weight long range rifle - same deal as above, great parts put together very well

My feelings exactly. There's a light weight and long range factory option in these two rifles. For the average Joe that wants a "custom" rifle in these classes, there is no reason to look any further. If we could get a mid weight sporter factory option (or the #2 Fieldcraft as you mentioned) all bases would be covered.

Tikka's are accurate and reliable, but for some reason I just can't warm up to them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

😂

Tikka’s will shoot.... I wouldn’t feel at a disadvantage hunting with one. Seekins, and the rest of the $1600 price tag offerings from other mfg’s are still a hit/miss in the accuracy.

Factory works for me, but I’d spend time lookin for an oldie but goodie rig before I’d buy a box from most of the big makers. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Factory works for me, but I’d spend time lookin for an oldie but goodie rig before I’d buy a box from most of the big makers. 😎

On the flip side, most don't want to pony up for a shooter.....

I've listed a hot shooting 6x47 a couple times, an refuse to let it go for garage sale prices.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry boys, I can't add anything here.

All our guns are factory, shoot factory & are unanimously unmolested.

I know we must be doing something wrong, but our freezers are full !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aalf

On the flip side, most don't want to pony up for a shooter.....

I've listed a hot shooting 6x47 a couple times, an refuse to let it go for garage sale prices.

True dat...For some that don’t understand the term “Proven” when seeing a used custom build for sale at an already discounted price from a known member, who is a true shooter.

“Proven” means the build is solid, accurate, and ready to make small groups. That kind of accuracy costs real money and someone’s skills to part list it and spin it together...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Nutt’n to be sorry about Paul...I’ve kilt more fur with box rifles than customs...I had a good run with a SFII Remington Sendero in 300 Ultra, a Weatherby FiberMark in 30-378 that hosed some good bulls at decent distance and a fine shooting Winchester Mod 70 CRF in 300 Roy that is the only rifle I truly regret sending down the road.

I did have to tweak every box rig by swapping out triggers and doing some light relief work on the stocks, but eventually they all did me proud.

😎

“Molon Labe”
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Nutt’n to be sorry about Paul...I’ve kilt more fur with box rifles than customs...I had a good run with a SFII Remington Sendero in 300 Ultra, a Weatherby FiberMark in 30-378 that hosed some good bulls at decent distance and a fine shooting Winchester Mod 70 CRF in 300 Roy that is the only rifle I truly regret sending down the road.

I did have to tweak every box rig by swapping out triggers and doing some light relief work on the stocks, but eventually they all did me proud.

😎

I have one of those and a Winchester M 70 .270 Wby in my gunsafe. They will not be sold or traded away while I'm alive.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

😎

But, .................... I'm talking about a bunch of Savage Rifles !
grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Higbean: Not me!
I quit buying and building "custom Rifles" many years ago!
Main reason EXPENSE!
Expense that is very difficult (impossible?) to recover when one goes to sell said custom Rifles.
Factory Rifles are a much better (more efficient, more intelligent) expenditure of ones monies in my opinion and in my experience.
And mind you I began buying/putting together custom Rifles more than 50 years ago!
Been there - done that!
As of today I buy more Rifles than 99.9% of all gun owners in America and for the last 15 years or so NONE of them have been "customs".
Again, they are simply to expensive, to time consuming and they "realize" to little of ones initial investments when it comes time to sell them.
Factory Rifles come in an amazing plethora of models, calibers, styles, brands and price ranges nowadays - I have simply learned that my money is better "invested" in factory offerings anymore.
In fact I am in the process of buying an all factory Rifle this week (for $750.00 delivered - no sales tax), that to duplicate, via the "custom route" would cost near 3 (three times that much) and who knows when it would be "completed"!
I once waited just over a year for a relatively "simple" custom Varmint Rifle to be "completed" (NO stockwork!)!
Those days are done for me - but I hold NO grudge or animosity towards anyone who chooses to spend their money in that direction.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
221 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 32 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.