-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just relying on published work on rut timing that has been done for a very long time. It fits the anecdotal evidence you all are describing.

Exact timing shifts every year based on the lunar cycle and some weather. To attach exact calendar dates to the rut puts you at odds with deer from the areas they were moved from, the deer that were there, and the rest of the free world. But do carry on.

I am certain finding all sorts of stuff that agrees with you will be easy, but find the stuff with some peer review.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Excuse me for finding a huge bit of humor here...

It has been long established a single factor has more to do with rut timing than anything else. Anyone trying to put hard dates on a calendar as rut times is clueless, period.

Unbred does will go back into rut one or two times, at least, if they fail to breed the first round.

Amazingly, the timing for these "ruts" is very regular and reliable.

I have zero doubt the map has found a difference in rut timing, but rounding off errors and anecdotal weighting of evidence has created a joke.

What an absolute-phu*king-gift to be an expert at, and on, everything.

Is this the secret squirrel ignore?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mirage243

It has been long established a single factor has more to do with rut timing than anything else. Anyone trying to put hard dates on a calendar as rut times is clueless, period.

Unbred does will go back into rut one or two times, at least, if they fail to breed the first round.

I have zero doubt the map has found a difference in rut timing, but rounding off errors and anecdotal weighting of evidence has created a joke.

You just flat don't know what you're talking about.

Our turkey season started today, and I will guarantee you that somewhere over the next few weeks I will see a buck chasing a doe somewhere on one of the different places I hUnt here in Alabama. It happens every year. I hunt at least 3 different ruts here within a 100 miles of each other, two different ruts about 6 weeks apart within 35 miles of each other.

"Somewhere over the next few weeks" is not proof, or even evidence of anything on the original chart.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Our turkey season started today, and I will guarantee you that somewhere over the next few weeks I will see a buck chasing a doe somewhere on one of the different places I hUnt here in Alabama. It happens every year. I hunt at least 3 different ruts here within a 100 miles of each other, two different ruts about 6 weeks apart within 35 miles of each other.

"Somewhere over the next few weeks" is not proof, or even evidence of anything on the original chart.

I'm not pushing it as evidence or even a pointer concerning the specific dates and corresponding areas listed on the map. What we're seeing is not "the rut" but it's bucks chasing does that haven't been bred yet. It's a sign of a jacked up breeding season....and it happens every season. Bucks are still carrying their antlers right now....if they still have headgear they'll still chase an unbred doe.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

Exact timing shifts every year based on the lunar cycle and some weather.

For real? No [bleep]. Nobody in this thread is disputing that.

Simple question. I have been on the properties noted in the southeast corner for 30 years. The two properties are approximately 35 miles apart. On one the rut always starts late January into February. BTW, I LIVE on this property and have taken over 10 good bucks during that time. The rut on the other property starts early to mid December. My good friend LIVES on this property. Its a large property and over 100 bucks easy during this time. Every single year, bar none, the rut is 45+/- days apart on these two properties. Do you say this is not the case, that this is not happening? That me, and everyone else down here in this corner of Alabama is wrong?

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Poor ol' Sitka, always trying to be relevant.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I'm not pushing it as evidence or even a pointer concerning the specific dates and corresponding areas listed on the map. What we're seeing is not "the rut" but it's bucks chasing does that haven't been bred yet. It's a sign of a jacked up breeding season....and it happens every season. Bucks are still carrying their antlers right now....if they still have headgear they'll still chase an unbred doe.

And they will chase an unbred doe even after they drop antlers.

The discussion was about rut timing. You told me my statements were in error so I assumed you were giving me evidence to correct my errors. I simply do not see it in your argument.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Uncle Rico...
Did you get an email from a game biologist this morning about this? I did. He was not arguing with me at all. He was laughing. He finds it funny I would try to challenge a long held belief system with nothing more than facts...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Exact timing shifts every year based on the lunar cycle and some weather.

For real? No [bleep]. Nobody in this thread is disputing that.

Simple question. I have been on the properties noted in the southeast corner for 30 years. The two properties are approximately 35 miles apart. On one the rut always starts late January into February. BTW, I LIVE on this property and have taken over 10 good bucks during that time. The rut on the other property starts early to mid December. My good friend LIVES on this property. Its a large property and over 100 bucks easy during this time. Every single year, bar none, the rut is 45+/- days apart on these two properties. Do you say this is not the case, that this is not happening? That me, and everyone else down here in this corner of Alabama is wrong?

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Okkkaaayyyyyyy...

SInce your dates are considerably different from the map dates, what exactly are you saying?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Uncle Rico...
Did you get an email from a game biologist this morning about this? I did. He was not arguing with me at all. He was laughing. He finds it funny I would try to challenge a long held belief system with nothing more than facts...

Sure you did........keep trying though, you're doing good. You know as much about this as you do your "facts" about accubond bullets.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've hunted deer all over this state for over 40 years, you will not find a single hunter that has hunted here very long that will disagree with this map. Many, many studies have been done on it, believe it or not, they were done by wildlife bioligist. Nobody down here gives a fuqk what some jackwad from Alaska thinks about what deer do in Alabama.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good lord Sitka dummy, you probably need to shut your cock holster, and listen to folks that actually live/hunt there... just sayin

Oppps, that’s right, you put me on pretend ignore years ago for spanking you and your stupidity

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

And they will chase an unbred doe even after they drop antlers.

The discussion was about rut timing. You told me my statements were in error so I assumed you were giving me evidence to correct my errors. I simply do not see it in your argument.

I've not told you anything about your statements. I made a statement about what my thoughts were.

I don't know about bucks chasing does after dropping their antlers. My understanding has always been that the antlers drop when the testosterone level falls below a certain point. As I've always understood it buck can breed any time they have hard antlers....perhaps they can at other times as well.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

Okkkaaayyyyyyy...

SInce your dates are considerably different from the map dates, what exactly are you saying?

What am I saying? The question is what are you saying?

I am saying the premise of the map is accurate.

We have already established the boundaries of the map aren't perfect, but close. The deer on my property are off one grouping from the map. They should be considered in the Green. I'm sure you realize, the deer don't have the map, and if they did, could they read it?

I will ask again, because I am not certain as to what you are saying.

Are you saying the premise of the map is not accurate?

Are you saying that the rut on my property does not start late January into February every year?

Are you saying that the rut on my fiend's property does not start in early to mid December every year?

I seriously am unclear as to what you are disputing. Here's another question.

Assume a property is high fenced in Alabama and the high fence has deer mostly of northern genetics. The neighboring wild deer are all natives. Are you saying the rut will occur at the same time inside the fence as outside?

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Many, many studies have been done on it, believe it or not, they were done by wildlife biologist. Nobody down here gives a fuqk what some jackwad from Alaska thinks about what deer do in Alabama.

Who the hell does he think came up with the map?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've hunted deer all over this state for over 40 years, you will not find a single hunter that has hunted here very long that will disagree with this map. Many, many studies have been done on it, believe it or not, they were done by wildlife bioligist. Nobody down here gives a fuqk what some jackwad from Alaska thinks about what deer do in Alabama.

This...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alabama (and the rut) is truly an enigma in the whitetail world. You folks in Alabama don't need James Kroll, Karl Miller and the like, you just needed an Alaskan. whistle

Below are a couple of articles that touch on this subject.

https://www.qdma.com/chasing-explanation-souths-odd-rut/

https://www.outdooralabama.com/node/2002

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SKane
Alabama (and the rut) is truly an enigma in the whitetail world. You folks in Alabama don't need James Kroll, Karl Miller and the like, you just needed an Alaskan. whistle

Below are a couple of articles that touch on this subject.

https://www.qdma.com/chasing-explanation-souths-odd-rut/

https://www.outdooralabama.com/node/2002

That second map is really interesting . I did not know that some of the stocked deer came from NC , Ohio and Arkansas. I know that Georgia was pretty heavily stocked with Wisconsin Deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Genetics of three, possibly four, different subspecies of whitetails – the melting pot of the whitetail world. smile
Pragmatism, logic and photoperiod say they should all act alike relative to breeding and fawn production - while boots on the ground and research reveal large disparities.
I'll side with the latter as many Alabama residents (and obviously Alaska) have experienced this phenomenon first-hand through multiple generations.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Opinion of a jackwad Pa boyđź‘Ť...

1:Cut the statewide Buck/Doe ratio closer to 1:1 and you will see most of it go away.

2: Alabama Bucks must not be much for traveling to find new stuff. They have more than they can handle at home. Thus they keep hitting the same DNA and the genetics stay mostly the same.

3: When they slammed the public land Pa does down to almost nothing, Pa Bucks became big roamers during the rut. The rule was the successful jackwads hunted the Does to find the Bucks. On private land that allowed more Does, the Bucks tended to stay home and Bucks from other areas put their nose in the air and visited and the jackwads also could stay closer to home. And the wise jackwads placed a high value on making sure they kept some Does around. The dorks kept killing them.

4: You can always tell an Alabama Deer hunter. Just don’t tell him what he doesn’t want to hear or you will be called a jackwad. grin

Last edited by battue; 03/24/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,609
Posts18,454,873
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.