24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plain edge FFG (full flat grind). Plenty tough and a great slicer. I have had all three and rank them plain>1/2 serrated>fully serrated. Serrations are only good for rope and heavy cardboard.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My daily carry is a resilience.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by k20350
I prefer half serration knives myself. Sometimes I have to cut heavy zip ties at work and the serrated part makes short work of them.

Actually that’s what I’m thinking. I have a 3 blade Browning that I use for gutting deer, but a combo blade would seem to serve all purposes imo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The plain portion of a combo edge is shorter than a Swiss Army knife, which isn’t much. For cutting zip ties, use a pair of side cutters. Actually, a really sharp knife cuts the smaller gauge ties pretty easy. If you are cutting them off of something, you usually have to use the tip of the knife, which isn’t serrated anyway. If I really needed a serrated knife, I would buy a plain edge and a serrated edge and carry both. Serrated is also horrible for almost any kind of gutting and skinning.

Last edited by K1500; 03/23/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought 1 half serrated knife, it sucks as an only knife.
A cheap little CRKT.

Then I bought Spyderco Stretch VG10 with the FRN scales.
Plain blade. Thin, light, a lot of blade for the handle length.

Carry them both in the same pocket.
A big razor sharp knife for that kind of use.
A smaller, cheaper knife for the crap that would screw up my good knife.

I had a Browning two blade lockblade.
Plain clip point, and a sheep's foot that was half and half.
Great little knife, no idea what happened to it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tpcollins: Back when I was on the job as a City police officer eventually transferred into the Harbor Unit - I (we!) always carried at least one Spyderco half serrated half plain bladed knives on duty.
They were incredibly useful and the serrated part did not hamper when not needed.
I thought my various Spydercos were made in the United States back then (1990 - 1995)? Anyway they were strong, lightweight, rust resistant (we worked in salt water often), stayed sharp and fit the hand and stayed in a hand when it was dark, wet and cold out.
I liked'em and again always chose the half serrated/half plain blade models.
I think I only have two left.
Best of luck whichever style you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I used my original full serrated Endura to field dress a deer.
A chainsaw would have done as well

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have many of their knives. Have not found a bad one yet. I have NO serrated blades.

Sam......

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’m not a big fan of serrated blades. I have one half-serrated and had another once, maybe still do. One of the half-serrated ones is a Gerber that I used hunting for a while, seems every time I had my hands up in a body cavity cutting stuff loose I’d end up with a couple of punctures on my fingers from the serrations. Also it’s an absolute pain in the ass to sharpen them. My current EDC is a Kershaw Leek, plain edge, and all the “secondaries” in the biz on the dresser are too.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If I were buying a spyderco knife my buddy would stab me in the neck with it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like a plain blade best, but can live with half serrated.

Spyderco has an awful lot of very nice USA made knives at respectable prices. The Japanese made knives are excellent and even the Chinese versions selling under $50 are good knives for the money. Some of the best Spyderco's are made in Taiwan

The one in your photo is Chinese made if that matters to you. Still a good knife, but anytime possible I'd pay a bit more for one of the USA made versions.

Last edited by JMR40; 03/24/20.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd get the plain blade, certainly for any hunting applications. If you want to cut cardboard, rope, or whatever just do a good job of sharpening the knife with a coarse stone like a coarse DMT, the rough side of a Norton oil stone, or the coarsest media in whatever kind of sharpening gizmo you might use. That kind of edge also works good on game.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I used to use a half serrated Delica but then realized that the blade wasn't long enough to make either the plain or serrated edge long enough. Now, for EDC, I have plain Native and a plain Shaman for when I go somewhere where I can't carry.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have the Delica plain edge and it is a nice little blade.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like straight blades. I have a Benchmade Griptillian? That is half serrated. It is more of a daily carry, utility knife than a hunting knife.

I don’t own any Spyderco knives. For about the same price, you can get a Benchmade. I know they have less variety in models but I really like every Benchmade that I own. My favorite hunting knife is the Saddle Mountain Skinner.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Plain edge for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Theeck
I like straight blades. I have a Benchmade Griptillian? That is half serrated. It is more of a daily carry, utility knife than a hunting knife.

I don’t own any Spyderco knives. For about the same price, you can get a Benchmade. I know they have less variety in models but I really like every Benchmade that I own. My favorite hunting knife is the Saddle Mountain Skinner.

Lately avid knife aficionados regard Benchmade as over priced for the product received and their QC is suspect. Benchmade QC has been sketchy for several years.

BTW, the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 was mentioned above. I get a kick out of the markings on the blade, "Golden Colorado U.S.A. Earth."

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I have both a Mini Griptilian and a Delica and here is why I like the Delica better.
1. Thinner scales so it sits flatter in the pocket.
2. I find the Spyderco hole easier to open with than the Benchmade stud.
3. I'm paranoid about the Axis lock mechanism being clogged up with lint.
That being said, I like the regular Griptilian over the Endura but prefer the Shaman over either one of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a couple half-serrated folders, and when it came time for a new knife last summer, I went plain edge and am very happy with my choice. It's just a "lowly" CRKT, my 3rd by them, but it's solid and sharp and in the event that I dull it, a couple seconds with the finest grit on my Work Sharp and it's ready to go. Trying to sharpen my half serrated knives in the past were much more work.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Plain edge.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (12308300, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.