Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14692970 03/22/20
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Watching Rio Bravo. John Wayne's character has one long cartridge in his gunbelt...twice as long as the rest. Looks like a .45-70. Just a mistake or is there a purpose? I'm aware it's just a movie....but am wondering.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Purpose so he knew when he was nearing the end of other rounds. I understand that was a common practice

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Purpose so he knew when he was nearing the end of other rounds. I understand that was a common practice

You beat me to it. Exactly right.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you watch closely. His belt is set up that way in almost all of his westerns

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I am impressed when movies pick up on period correct practices. I watched an old “Gunsmoke” the other day in which Chester cleaned “ Mr. Dillon’s” Colt SAA for him. When he unloaded it, he dumped out six rounds......

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by lastround

I am impressed when movies pick up on period correct practices. I watched an old “Gunsmoke” the other day in which Chester cleaned “ Mr. Dillon’s” Colt SAA for him. When he unloaded it, he dumped out six rounds......

Oops!

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Oops!

Well, it was a six shooter

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm dredging up a 50 year old memory, but I seem to recall a Tales of Wells Fargo where Dale Robertson tells the (not yet revealed) villain that he only carries 5 loaded in his Colt for safety.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Especially considering westerns of the day weren't super fixated upon authenticity like they need to be today.

Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Oops!

Well, it was a six shooter

It's always been understood that an empty chamber under the hammer is the only safe way to carry it, but I wonder if Colt actually included that in the owner's manual back then.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by teal

Especially considering westerns of the day weren't super fixated upon authenticity like they need to be today.

LOL, with all the Winchester 92 carbines in 1870s and 1880s settings.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

That’s not too bad. Some old westerns it would have held 60!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Well couldn't you index the cylinder for the hammer to rest between chambers?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Well couldn't you index the cylinder for the hammer to rest between chambers?

Colt should have done that (along with notches for the hammer to rest in in between the chambers), but didn't on the SAA. Not sure why. I think they did that on their 1860 Army model.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...maybe because if the cowboys had lowered the hammer to the fire position and then bothered to pull the hammer back one click to the safety notch instead of letting the firing pin rest on the primer there wouldn't have been so many unintentional discharges....if there were that many anyway.

And what is more important when carrying a SA for self-protection....the "possibility" of the hammer taking a hit and discharging the gun or being 17% down on ammo when the fight starts...

Considering the number of gang bangers and "trained" professionals who have shot themselves and others with striker fired guns since their invention, maybe they should also be carried with an empty chamber also....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Amen on the striker fire.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Westerns are fun to watch until you realize they are full of inaccuracies. Most Civil War movies show troops using Springfield Trapdoors or Winchester lever guns being carried in Indian Wars era.
It carries over to WWII. Early Pacific combat using M1 Garands, M1 carbines, etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Watching Rio Bravo. John Wayne's character has one long cartridge in his gunbelt...twice as long as the rest. Looks like a .45-70. Just a mistake or is there a purpose? I'm aware it's just a movie....but am wondering.
I believe you can order Duke's gunbelt from El Paso Saddlery.

Typically the Duke carried his belt gun that way in many of his westerns, especially the later ones. His SAA was a 38-40 and the longer rifle cartridge used to tell him when he was running out was indeed, a 45-70.

Here is the Duke's rig from True Grit. I don't know if this is the main rig because it looks a little darker than his usual setup. It does look like his 38-40 Colt though and his iconic big loop 1892 Winchester.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Westerns are fun to watch until you realize they are full of inaccuracies.

Like how difficult it is to accurately shoot a handgun??!! Heck, I thought everybody could ride a horse at full tilt, draw and fire on a guy 75 yds away (also on a horse at full tilt) and hit him in the heart...every time!!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or when shooting a DA revolver, the proper way to do it is hold it at waist level and sort of throw it out with a snap of the wrist quickly while shooting. You can hit Indians on horseback while shooting from a moving train doing this.

Of course, once your six shots are gone the revolver is useless so it must be thrown at the antagonist.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.