-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd just go with it. If it really bugs you several years down the road, then do something about it. Until then, put the money towards something else.

We have some sort of soft wood/laminate floating floor. It dents easily, but is dented over the whole surface. Guess what? We don't care. It's functional and looks just fine unless you get down on your hands and knees to look. Uniform dents is the key grin Dog nails took care of that.

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/23/20.
GB1

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Any particular stain you guys recommend?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tung oil, but it will take time to do it right.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The natural wear including nicks and dings can be complementing of the right cabin.
Don't be afraid of it.

It's not a Seattle penthouse over lookin' Elliot Bay you're working with there, let it look like it belongs where it is...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hemlock is also known as piss fir. Few yrs of working in the woods, hemlock was low grade timber. All the timber companies wanted Doug fir, also hemlock was notorious for being centered rotten. Fallers nightmare cut the face do the back cut that tree could decide to split and ph uck up faller. Reason called piss fir it smells like piss when burned. I know didn’t answer your question I’m just surprised it was used as a floor

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Calvin,

Great looking place, certainly hope it turns out to be a "dream". As others have stated, it will dent and look rustic, but many many old houses have softwood floors.

wilsonn is correct where I came from. Both when I did a little construction and when I worked for a NorCal timber company.

Back in the 70's and 80's the only framing purposes it had in SoCal was for plate stock, not studs, joist, or rafters. That had to be Doug fir. Building codes I was told by the contractors. In an earthquake Doug fir fibers hold together and the boards will splinter instead of snapping like hem-fir. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Should be fine for flooring, and if I had a place it was already down in, I'd certainly consider using it if I was looking to save $$$ on new flooring.

Again, good luck with it.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
New England’s antique houses are full of wide pine floors. Some are hard pine (Pitch Pine) and some are soft pine (White Pine). These are best finished with numerous coats of Tung oil applied with time for each successive coat to thoroughly dry.

This makes for a very durable floor that takes on lots of character.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Doug fir can be salmoned colored, split easily, and sprinters have a stinging feeling.
Western Hemlock is whiter, not as strong, and rots easily.

Do they make 4x4 out of DF?

Saw some salmon colored ones the other day..and wondered. Seems like they could be the same as the pressure treated ones based upon split profile of center cut posts..

Yes. I have a pile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston

Doug fir can be salmoned colored, split easily, and sprinters have a stinging feeling.

Saw some salmon colored ones the other day..and wondered. Seems like they could be the same as the pressure treated ones based upon split profile of center cut posts..

Yes. I have a pile

"salmon colored" kingston?

if somewhat reddish and it's not old growth then it's usually heart wood from smaller trees. At least from the second growth the timber company I worked for ran through their mill. Just about any log big enough to get a 4x4 out of the center would be cut that way. 2 bys would come off the sides. Sometimes on bigger logs they could get some 4x6 and 4x8 and sometimes bigger "post" types out of the heart wood. On those they might get some nice 2x8 or 2x10 or 2x12 even heartwood boards off the sides. Was cool seeing the computerized mill figure out how to cut them.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Yes. I have a pile

if somewhat reddish and it's not old growth then it's usually heart wood from smaller trees. At least from the second growth the timber company I worked for ran through their mill. Just about any log big enough to get a 4x4 out of the center would be cut that way. 2 bys would come off the sides. Sometimes on bigger logs they could get some 4x6 and 4x8 and sometimes bigger "post" types out of the heart wood. On those they might get some nice 2x8 or 2x10 or 2x12 even heartwood boards off the sides. Was cool seeing the computerized mill figure out how to cut them.

Geno

More orange than pink.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Yes. I have a pile

Geno

More orange than pink.

orange?

better sterilize them first. It might be the Corona..................or maybe some Orange Crush spilled by a mill worker in WA.

Geno

PS hope things are well with you. Stay safe.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We’re good. We’re self isolating at the farm in Michigan.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hemlock and Fir when dry are hard as ****..My buddy put Fir plywood down , router the edges, oak inlay, Varathane, and a few rugs, a real nice floor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a log home with 2X6 tung and groove Doug fir flooring.

It IS soft! Been here 32 years and it could use re-finishing.

And, a LOT of deep sanding before re-finishing.

We just cover it with rugs. It goes well with the rustic log home.

Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin
Any particular stain you guys recommend?

Minwax Ipswitch

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.