Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
SKane's second link shows AL deer have been stocked from Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, and Wisconsin....and from different locations in AL. AL shares fairly large borders with 4 different states and of course inflow from those areas should be considered as the expansion of deer ranges in AL has been massive across the state over the last 30 years. It's a real melting pot....but it ends up more like a tie dyed t-shirt than an even mix.

The info mentioned in one of the articles concerning the maternal side of genetics having the biggest influence on the rut because of a lower dispersion of does is interesting. Regardless, the wide array of times does may come in is going to result in a drawn out rut as bucks are going to be breeding even if the buck isn't at his "peak" rut regarding genetics...and the uneven doe/buck ratio leads to does being bred later which further drags things out.

It is what it is and makes interesting hunting. One thing I know, I need to shoot more does......I've got to make myself do this.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Which makes the inquisitive ask....while it is obviously something unique to Alabama, and the geniuses attribute it to the transplant genetics

1: will the same be seen if the ratio comes closer to 1:1

2: why isn’t the same phenomenon seen in other States that had multiple transplant genetics.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
SKane's second link shows AL deer have been stocked from Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, and Wisconsin....and from different locations in AL. AL shares fairly large borders with 4 different states and of course inflow from those areas should be considered as the expansion of deer ranges in AL has been massive across the state over the last 30 years. It's a real melting pot....but it ends up more like a tie dyed t-shirt than an even mix.

The info mentioned in one of the articles concerning the maternal side of genetics having the biggest influence on the rut because of a lower dispersion of does is interesting. Regardless, the wide array of times does may come in is going to result in a drawn out rut as bucks are going to be breeding even if the buck isn't at his "peak" rut regarding genetics...and the uneven doe/buck ratio leads to does being bred later which further drags things out.

It is what it is and makes interesting hunting. One thing I know, I need to shoot more does......I've got to make myself do this.

Doe were few and far between this year. I shot one mature doe that weighed 125 lbs(it was dry), the other one with it was roughly the same size. I only saw 2 3+ year old bucks this year and a Bunch of 2,4 and 6 point bucks that outnumbered the does easily.

This same property years ago would have 20-30 does out in a plot at night with 7-8 bucks of all age classes there as well.

Coyotes started showing up heavily 6 years ago, the last 2 years they were quiet with few sightings and this year they are apparently back.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by battue
Opinion of a jackwad Pa boy👍...

1:Cut the statewide Buck/Doe ratio closer to 1:1 and you will see most of it go away.

2: Alabama Bucks must not be much for traveling to find new stuff. They have more than they can handle at home. Thus they keep hitting the same DNA and the genetics stay mostly the same.

3: When they slammed the public land Pa does down to almost nothing, Pa Bucks became big roamers during the rut. The rule was the successful jackwads hunted the Does to find the Bucks. On private land that allowed more Does, the Bucks tended to stay home and Bucks from other areas put their nose in the air and visited and the jackwads also could stay closer to home. And the wise jackwads placed a high value on making sure they kept some Does around. The dorks kept killing them.

4: You can always tell an Alabama Deer hunter. Just don’t tell him what he doesn’t want to hear or you will be called a jackwad. grin

At least you admit your's to be a wildasssed guess.

We had a long time high powered TPW biologist hunt mule deer with us a few times. This guy and his buddy Horace Gore coined the term "the Golden Triangle" in TX back when whitetail deer mgt was just started getting kicked off ( they had lots to do with it BTW). As expected, this guy had data stacked 3 feet high on whitetails/rut/moon phase, etc. His data showed that whitetails in a natural environment will travel great distances during the rut, as it is nature's way of spreading genetics. Same is true for muleys actually. I do know that on our whitetail/mule deer places we have seen bucks 7-12 miles from where we saw them just a day or two earlier.......all 100% private ground

It is really very easy to tell a know it al, jackwad deer hunter from a legit one.

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/24/20.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Yep. And I think that's what battue is getting at - and with sound reason.
Growing up, I had a strong aversion to shooting does mainly because we didn't have the overabundance we do today. Well, that and it wasn't the manly thing to do. laugh

It took a bit to get passed that but now I'm just as happy in filling the freezer with does. And if I don't see something with antlers that makes my socks go up and down, I'll use my buck tag on a yearling doe too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We should have been shooting more does off of that whitetail property as well. Our ratios are in the 3:1 range now, but the bucks still roam a huge area during the rut. On the years we didn't shoot bucks (due to drought years) we should have whacked some does. I've helped my buddy cull whitetail does on his place the past 3 years rather aggressively (killed over 40 myself.....great bullet testing), and it already shows it's helping. His bucks travel a long ways as well, as the neighbors have pics of several of "his" bucks.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

EHD outbreaks
No season limit on Deer(including bucks) that finally changed
Severe Droughts
Development
Temperature extremes during the Rut
Heavy Hunting Pressure
QDM implementation

Despite all the above the rut is still irregular in many parts of Alabama. Years ago there was really no reporting system in place for deer kills, the last few years have been different and that is why these statistics are what they are.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

1:Cut the statewide Buck/Doe ratio closer to 1:1 and you will see most of it go away.

2: Alabama Bucks must not be much for traveling to find new stuff. They have more than they can handle at home. Thus they keep hitting the same DNA and the genetics stay mostly the same.

3: When they slammed the public land Pa does down to almost nothing, Pa Bucks became big roamers during the rut. The rule was the successful jackwads hunted the Does to find the Bucks. On private land that allowed more Does, the Bucks tended to stay home and Bucks from other areas put their nose in the air and visited and the jackwads also could stay closer to home. And the wise jackwads placed a high value on making sure they kept some Does around. The dorks kept killing them.

4: You can always tell an Alabama Deer hunter. Just don’t tell him what he doesn’t want to hear or you will be called a jackwad. grin

1- you can kill a doe a day here in Alabama, makes the legal possibilities over a 100 does per year for each hunter.

2- about 3 years ago a buck that was a resident of my farm got killed almost 11 miles away. There is no doubt it was him.

3- not a lot of public land here to hunt.

4- you can always tell a yankee jackwad, he's the one telling Alabama hunters what they already know. 😂

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider

At least you admit your's to be a wildasssed guess.

We had a long time high powered TPW biologist hunt mule deer with us a few times. This guy and his buddy Horace Gore coined the term "the Golden Triangle" in TX back when whitetail deer mgt was just started getting kicked off ( they had lots to do with it BTW). As expected, this guy had data stacked 3 feet high on whitetails/rut/moon phase, etc. His data showed that whitetails in a natural environment will travel great distances during the rut, as it is nature's way of spreading genetics. Same is true for muleys actually. I do know that on our whitetail/mule deer places we have seen bucks 7-12 miles from where we saw them just a day or two earlier.......all 100% private ground

It is really very easy to tell a know it al, jackwad deer hunter from a legit one.

It's a guess, but I'm not about to accept it to be wildasssed....

Now here would be another guess....define it as you will.....but it is far from wildasssed....

The Deer management philosophy of the last couple decades has been enlightening at minimum.....However, I question how much the data they obtain and make conclusions on are based on Whitetails in their natural environment. In fact one of their goals is to keep the big boys on the home grounds....to breed and to shoot.....Old David Morris and the boys do their best to keep the genes at home....You want to get data on Whitetails in a natural environment, and not Deer who are fortunate to live and die in a controlled honey hole, then you best study the Adirondacks or the Maine Great woods. Year round supplemental farming and feeding pales to their natural environment. Combine it with the fact, damn few individuals get to manage a piece of private ground where Deer can stay on it and still travel 7-12miles.

However, since most of us today, North and South, mostly hunt smaller parcels, their work is relevant to most of our situations....

Last edited by battue; 03/24/20.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mirage243

1- you can kill a doe a day here in Alabama, makes the legal possibilities over a 100 does per year for each hunter.

2- about 3 years ago a buck that was a resident of my farm got killed almost 11 miles away. There is no doubt it was him.

3- not a lot of public land here to hunt.

4- you can always tell a yankee jackwad, he's the one telling Alabama hunters what they already know. 😂

When a hoarder and an idiot calls you a jackwad.....it means nothing.....

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It's a guess, but I'm not about to accept it to be wildasssed....

Now here would be another guess....define it as you will.....but it is far from wildasssed....

The Deer management philosophy of the last couple decades has been enlightening at minimum.....However, I question how much the data they obtain and make conclusions on are based on Whitetails in their natural environment. In fact one of their goals is to keep the big boys on the home grounds....to breed and to shoot.....Old David Morris and the boys do their best to keep the genes at home....You want to get data on Whitetails in a natural environment, and not Deer who are fortunate to live and die in a controlled honey hole, then you best study the Adirondacks or the Maine Great woods. Year round supplemental farming and feeding pales to their natural environment. Combine it with the fact, damn few individuals get to manage a piece of private ground where Deer can stay on it and still travel 7-12miles.

However, since most of us today, North and South, mostly hunt smaller parcels, their work is relevant to most of our situations....

Wildassed at best. Just because "few individuals get to manage a piece of private ground where deer can stay on and still travel 7-12 miles" does not mean this type of deer movement doesn't happen, which is one of the premises of your guess. Like I mentioned previously, my biologist friend had stacks of data on the subject, including free range herds from all over TX, parts of Oklahoma, and Old MX, as natural as it gets. These were not HF in a "honey hole" environment. Whether you choose to accept it or not, keep guessing, or whatever is up to you. You'd really have your head spinning if you read his no moon/full moon data.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You miss read me or I didn't explain it good enough and if that is the case, I apologize....But if you want to get an attitude, have at it, because you can't keep up when we start going there....We have had no problems in the past, but if you want attitude then you best go home and get yourself some....

No doubt they can travel that distance and will when conditions are correct or the mood strikes. It does happen and one of the reason we kill so many on the roads here. However, I tend to be skeptical of some of the data that comes out of intensively managed Deer properties as it applies to free range herds and more than a little..Nor do I think you are one of few that has all the answers based on who you know....You may think you have an inside tract on being the Deer Whisperer, but others of us have been watching them for just as long....

Nor does my head spin, or am i guessing when I know what can be done with supplemental feeding and Deer behavior modification. I can have 5-9 in my yard within 30minutes just by yelling come on....

What can be done on large properties with unlimited feed, water, refuge areas and winter cover has little resemblance to the natural habitat Deer evolved in. Which was my point...The Deer in Pa drifted from the the Northern big woods down South to the farmlands and better habitat. You tell me why....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You must have entirely missed the point that it isn't my data, it's from a lifetime professional biologist who wrote the book on whitetail deer management, with data from decades of personal experience to back it up. That was good enough for me, apparently not for you.

I'm not one of those guys who offers advice on deer hunting in places I've never hunted, or better yet never been to, unlike many here. I have no clue what your deer do or why. As for the "attitude", you need to lighten up some as none was intended.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
JGR, not sure what all he hates, but guys that hunt in Alabama, and people that have stuff in stock for their family, are definately on his sheit list.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You must have entirely missed the point that it isn't my data, it's from a lifetime professional biologist who wrote the book on whitetail deer management, with data from decades of personal experience to back it up. That was good enough for me, apparently not for you.

I'm not one of those guys who offers advice on deer hunting in places I've never hunted, or better yet never been to, unlike many here. I have no clue what your deer do or why. As for the "attitude", you need to lighten up some as none was intended.

It’s not the fact that’s it’s your data or some professional. My only point again would be I’m skeptical of transposing managed Deer data to unmanaged. Now when you start replying with my responses are wildassed, then the attitude flag has been raised. However, if none was intended then I accept I took it wrong and we will go on.

Now old mirage thinks Alabama hunters are on my shiiit list. Far from it, and I find their Deer rutting characteristics not only interesting, but something I didn’t know about. And enough of them have verified that to be the case, that I admit my initial thoughts were in error. The why of it, if their Deer travel so much, and the transplanted DNA gets mixed, then becomes something else I think about.

Now Mirage admits to being a hoarder during the .22lr shortage. Then he admits to being a medication hoarder during the current covid crises and tries to justify same by saying he is a capitalist. I don’t care where he is from, he is a shiitpoke. .

Addition: In fact his being so blatantly obnoxious re his hoarding, has a similar ring to what us up here are so often accused of. It seems the line has little to do with it. At least in his case....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Now Mirage admits to being a hoarder during the .22lr shortage. Then he admits to being a medication hoarder during the current covid crises and tries to justify same by saying he is a capitalist. I don’t care where he is from, he is a shiitpoke. .

Addition: In fact his being so blatantly obnoxious re his hoarding, has a similar ring to what us up here are so often accused of. It seems the line has little to do with it. At least in his case....

You can bet your sweet ass that I am gonna hoard my medication that keeps me alive, especially since the plant that makes it is in Wuhan, China.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I did the same thing, I take some BP medicine, I've got a years worth and just had my Doc call me in another 180 days supply.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I did the same thing, I take some BP medicine, I've got a years worth and just had my Doc call me in another 180 days supply.

Exactly . . . . . .you need to borrow a few, it's pretty obvious I got your BP way up. 😂😂😂

Last edited by mirage243; 03/24/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have only skimmed over this thread honestly. But I’ve noticed that Alabama has similar characteristics to TN regarding the Whitetail Rut. In TN, the “experts” believe that it attributed to the “mix” of Whitetail stock . They were brought in from other states as well. It’s kinda cool that they carried their home range rutting traits . I’m pretty sure Virginia and Wisconsin whitetails were used to restock TN . (Maybe more) that big sum bitch I killed in 2018 had to be from up North bloodline .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are such a fine example of what is wrong with this country.
And you do a better job of proving it than I ever could.

Keep up the good work of showing the rest of us what irresponsibility looks like.

Back on topic:

It would be interesting if we could transplant a cross section of Alabama Does here, and see what the would happen. However, perhaps we should leave will enough alone.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
465 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.