Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello everyone!

I am a bank fisherman, fishing rivers and lakes. Being a bank fisherman, I am somewhat constrained to my lure choices and wondering what other bank fisherman use as their lures of choice?

Since I tend to lose lures to snags fishing from shore, I don't like spending a lot of $$$ on expensive lures. As a consequence, I fish a lot with jigs often with plastics, etc. or jigs with spinner arms making it in essence a spinner bait. I will also use spoons due to cheaper cost over sinking lures.

For the lures I do use from shore are the floating rapala or diver/floaters like shad rap(deep diver, due to the large/squarish bill). I like the deep diving shad raps because I can bang into things, pause and let if float, thus often avoiding any snags---assuming it doesn't get smashed after banging into something and the pause. But I won't lie, I have lost my share of those shad raps. I know that losing lures are part of fishing, but it does get expensive to where I am consider whether to switch over to plastic craws and texas-rig them as a cheaper alternative? Thoughts on this?

Also what about using lipless crank baits from shore? The seem pretty versatile lures but not sure how snag resistant they are since they are mostly sinking lure.

Any other lures you guys used and can recommend trying?

Thank for any input and advice!

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Less expensive lures:

Cotton Cordell "Spot", lipless crankbait that looks like a Rattle Trap but not as expensive. Works as well IMO.

Rebel Pop R, Very good surface plug that won't break the bank.

Heddon Baby Torpedo, Old surface plug, still works.

Rapala X-Rap, Not cheap but works, only dives about 4/6 feet.

Beetle Spin, Use lighter wts. keep it moving.

Senko or Senko type plastics, Senkos aren't cheap but they catch fish and often do well weightless. They get tore up if there's a good bite but you're not going to lose them on a slow day and if there's a good bite they're worth it.

Some say non name brand knock offs do as well as the more expensive originals.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Texas Rigged Worms/craws. Hollow-bodied frogs. Stay away from Rat-l-traps and anything with treble hooks. Sluggo's work great too.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spinner baits
Roadrunners
worms and plastics that can be rigged with the hook point in the plastic.
top water plugs and buzz baits.
curly tail jigs under a slip bobber.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Senko fished weightless would be number one and then a close second would be Texas rigged plastics like craws, lizards and worms.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cool guys! Thanks for the feedback!

Haven't thought about Rebel Pop-R or Rapala X-rap. Will have to look into those two.

Two mentions of senko will have me inquiring about that rig as well.

Thanks for the tips and idea!

PS. I was also thinking of some plastic craws texas-rigged as well! but glad to hear confirmation that I'm on right track

Last edited by leomort; 03/25/20. Reason: add PS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you can't beat live bait

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Senko's
willow leaf spinner bait
buzz bait
rubber frog
Mister Twister
Heddon Torpedo/Tiny Torpedo
Rooster Tail
Panther Martin
Beetle spin
Trout Magnet

Depends on what you're fishing for

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MOGC
Senko fished weightless would be number one and then a close second would be Texas rigged plastics like craws, lizards and worms.

yep,

And I think small spoons ( little Cleos, last masters, ) are under rated too. If you know how to fish them they can be very effective

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ribka,

I agree with you on the spoons. I like kaster master spoons the best, followed by little Cleos.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
and blade baits. I took some last year to east cape Baja Mexico and surf fished with a 10 foot rod. They were by far the most effective bait other that live bait.

The seem to work sometimes when other baits don't.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm a fly fisherman at heart but sometimes small spinners fit the job better, especially around brushy lakes, but also if I'm out exploring and just don't know what I'll run into. Give me a 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 foot UL rod, an open faced reel loaded with 4 lb maxima, and a bunch of black and gold panther martins, size 2 or even size 1, and if there are fish biting anything, I will catch them.

I have never had good luck with roostertails or any of the other semi popular spinners in that same size range.

For largemouth bass, I like 1.5 to 2.5 inch long hula poppers, black with red spots, a spinning rod with 8 pound, and about a 6-1/2 foot rod. I don't know that it is "best" but it's what I've had the most fun with.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If water depth is 5 feet or less, the lipless crank bait will foul the hooks but fish do go for them.

Zoom flukes are good as well as chatter baits and of course any kind of plastic worm. I get bored fishing a slow top water such as poppers, instead I'll use the Super Spook Jr., usually in bone.

Last edited by postoak; 03/30/20.
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ribka, never tried a blade bait, such as the blade runner type. The lipless crankbaits look like they'd have similar action, but like postoak mention, I'm think that hooks will probably get their hooks fouled. But I may try one or two just to experiment with. Think I'll try storm king's redeye shad lipless one.

TOM, not necessarily looking for the "best" just inquiring what work well for you as a bank fisherman. More of a way to make mental notes and see what others are using. For top waters, like the Rebel Pop-R in silver/black in the regular size. I prefer fishing rivers if I get the choice. Just better variety of fish to catch. If fishing mainly lakes, I found that I'm mainly catching pan fish/sunfish fishing from shore except in spring when I can occasionally catch a crappie or yellow perch. I agree with you, regarding an ultralight setup. I think they're fantastic for pan fishing but I bought an ugly stick elite in light action so I don't know if I went too heavy, time will tell.

postoak, I bought some zoom flukes to give a try this year. Regarding the lipless crankbaits, I too think the hooks would foul easily but supposedly you can rip them through the weed type stuff and trigger bite. I took the chance and bought two storm king redeye shad to experiment with this year.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 68 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.