Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Are these supposed to be quality made products?

my understanding, is in spite of using an established American name like "Rock Island".. they are actually a Filipino company, that is connected to Aramsco ( or some name like that)....

someone I know, needs money and wants me to buy it from him...chambered in 22 Mag....1911 Platform...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes, Rock Island Armory is a branch of Armscor USA (recently renamed Armscor International) - which is a branch of the Arms Corporation of the Philippines (Armscor) (also known as Armscor Philippines, recently renamed Armscor Global Defense.

Their Armscor USA ammo is pretty good, I have read bad things about the Armscor Philippines ammo.

From what I have read their pistols are good, but not great.

A few have had problems, most have not.

I'd see if he will let you shoot it first.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Their customer service has stellar reviews, at least from what I've read, from the few who need it. Overall, they're pretty well done, but the .22WMR model is pretty new and may be problematic. From what I've read, though, they are fun as hell to shoot.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My experience with their 1911s is excellent. I haven’t owned one of their 22wmr guns, however.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have the XT-M 22 magnum and after putting 200 rounds down range, The only hiccup I’ve had was 1 failure to feed. That happened in the first magazine I ran thru it. After that it’s run flawlessly. It’s accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. Just make sure to wear hearing protection, it’s LOUD!
k2nd

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've handled them in gun stores and am always impressed with the look and feel of solid quality. I'm always a little hesitant, however, to trust a 1911 to be completely reliable and dependable that's made in a third world country. I guess I'd have to try one out before I became confident like that, whereas I feel I can trust a Springfield, Colt, S&W, etc., to work just fine, absent the occasional lemon.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't know about their 22 mag 1911s but the 45 acp Rock Island I bought in May 1918 has been very reliable. So far I've put well over 1,000 rounds through it with a lot of different kinds of ammo including gun show hand loads, hps and other self defense loads using several different brands of magazines with no malfunctions.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What about the polish ( or is it Turkish) made revolver in 9mm?

Anyone tried one?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
I don't know about their 22 mag 1911s but the 45 acp Rock Island I bought in May 1918 has been very reliable. So far I've put well over 1,000 rounds through it with a lot of different kinds of ammo including gun show hand loads, hps and other self defense loads using several different brands of magazines with no malfunctions.

Well, God bless. What is your secret to such amazing longevity?

PS I didn't even know that company was around back then.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
LOL, bad part about this is I preview read it before I posted it.

Amazing longevity is due to only shooting it a little over 10 times a year.

IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have been interested in buying one of their .22 Magnums but lack of adjustable sights has delayed that...

I have one of their steel frame Commands in 10mm and it is as solid as a brick. Bobbled the first round and 100% thereafter... As accurate as the 10mms I have costing three times as much...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've handled them in gun stores and am always impressed with the look and feel of solid quality. I'm always a little hesitant, however, to trust a 1911 to be completely reliable and dependable that's made in a third world country. I guess I'd have to try one out before I became confident like that, whereas I feel I can trust a Springfield, Colt, S&W, etc., to work just fine, absent the occasional lemon.

I feel the same way you do.

I do have a Metro American II that I bought used almost 10 years ago for a ridiculously low price , and after the spring changeout I do with any used autoloader, I have had very good results with impeccable reliability. I run ball duplication loads, and have tried some warmish loads with 185, 230, and 260 grain HPs with encouraging results.

I still prefer a domestic manufacturer for one I depend on for self-protection or conversion to cartridges such as .45 Super or .460 Rowland but that Metro has earned my trust.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sidenote-

I’ve shot the academy monarch brass -made in Philippines. Reportedly by Armscor. No problems in my p365, p365XL, kahr cw9 / cm9

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you Google fu a bit, and read some of the RIA forums,
you buy a 1911 and hope to have trouble!

Their warranty is great, the service is better.
Most guns that get sent in, get gone over beyond the complaint.
Triggers are worked, components are better fitted and polished.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
These work well.

Turkey.

Link

[Linked Image from grabagun.com][/quote]

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
Are these supposed to be quality made products?

my understanding, is in spite of using an established American name like "Rock Island".. they are actually a Filipino company, that is connected to Aramsco ( or some name like that)....

someone I know, needs money and wants me to buy it from him...chambered in 22 Mag....1911 Platform...
As others have said, they are an Armscorp product. They have been around for awhile under that name and before that under others, Charles Daly, coming first to-mind. I've had several. They are okay. Not as good as Springfield Armory or a number of other "American" brands.

I had a Charles Daly years ago that would function fine with Ball but not reliable with more dramatically profiled bullets. I sat there in the gunshop and watched the owner do a quick profile and polish job on the feed ramp, learning how to do it myself in the process, improving the feed reliability from poor to functional.

I wouldn't be afraid of one if I didn't have the money for something better. I would be aware that the likelihood of getting one that had to go back to the factory would be upped considerably, over let's say Springfield or Colt. I would also be aware it might need a feed ramp re-profiling and polishing if you're going to use good self-defense ammo in it. I think you may have better results and get into it cheaper, if you went with the aforementioned Turkish product which has gotten very solid reviews here and elsewhere. In the old days, I'd have taken a Norinco over an Armscorp. That is not an indictment of Armscorp either, but rather a testament to the high regard I still hold the old cheap, Chinese product in.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
At the camp fire hog hunt several weeks ago G'Dub had a Rock Island with the sweetest trigger ever.

Most likely reworked but barrel to hood was tight and with GI sights that GDub probably didn't see he kicked a bunch of ass. GDub rules.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My Turkish Tisas USGI 1911A1 replica has yet to fail, after several hundred rounds. Of course, I have yet to try any JHP, but I would imagine that any such ammo that was 230 grain, and roughly matched the shape of ball (e.g., Remington Golden Saber), would work just fine in it.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wife from the Phil recommends against buying anything important made there including ammo, optics, firearms. Purely antidottal (SP), however, it is related to the extremes of economic stresses there and propensity to cut corners if needed to get by. Sounds like they're good though. Damm ya'll, now I want a Turkish 1911!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
If you Google fu a bit, and read some of the RIA forums,
you buy a 1911 and hope to have trouble!

Their warranty is great, the service is better.
Most guns that get sent in, get gone over beyond the complaint.
Triggers are worked, components are better fitted and polished.

I have first hand experience with their cs and this quote is spot on. My 22TCM/9MM 1911A2 would not feed the 9mm at all. Sent it back and they did a great trigger job, polished the 9mm barrel up and for an unknown reason to me, replaced the 22TCM barrel. Has not had one hiccup since.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.