Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This only applies to resident Alaskans that hunt so that excludes WDH. wink

Online Registration for Winter Fortymile Caribou Hunt to Begin Soon.

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game will be using a targeted hunt to administer a late-winter hunt
opportunity for Fortymile caribou. This targeted hunt (AC999) is a provision of the Fortymile Caribou
Herd Harvest Plan (harvest plan) that is intended to provide harvest opportunity to Alaska resident
hunters. It has been determined that a portion of the Yukon, Canada harvest allocation for the Fortymile
herd is unlikely to be taken before the end of their winter hunt; therefore, following the harvest plan,
some of this unutilized harvest will be utilized in Alaska for management of the herd. The harvest plan
helps guide harvest of the Fortymile herd and allocates 65% of the annual herd harvest quota to Alaska
and 35% to Yukon, Canada.

The AC999 targeted hunt involves issuing special permits to allow a limited number of hunters to take
up to 400 Fortymile caribou, between March 21st and 31st, 2020. To be eligible to receive a permit,
hunters will be required to register online at http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/ between March 17th at 4:01
P.M. and March 19th at 11:59 P.M. Hunters that harvested a caribou after July 1st 2019 are not eligible
for this hunt. Following this application period, 400 applicants will be randomly selected on March 20th
and winners will receive permits by email to participate in the hunt. Winners that are unable to print
their permits at home may print their permit at any Alaska Department of Fish and Game office during
normal business hours.

The hunt will be open in all zones in the Fortymile caribou hunt area beginning 12:01 a.m. Saturday,
March 21st, 2020 and closing at 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, March 31, 2020.
At about 83,000 animals, the Fortymile Herd is the largest caribou herd in Interior Alaska.
For more information on the Fortymile targeted hunt, call the Alaska Department of Fish and Game’s
Fortymile Caribou Herd Hunt Hotline at (907) 267-2310. You may also call the Tok office at (907) 883-
2971 or the Fairbanks office at (907) 459-7200. Additional information about this hunt can also be found
in the 2019-20 Alaska Hunting Regulation booklets, as well as on the department’s website
(http://hunt.alaska.gov).

Successful hunters must report within 3 days of the kill by reporting on the internet at
http://hunt.alaska.gov, or in person or by phone to the ADF&G office in Tok (883-2971). Hunters who
report by phone must also mail their permit reports or drop them off at an ADF&G office. Unsuccessful
hunters and those who did not hunt must report online (http://hunt.alaska.gov) or by phone (883-2971)
to ADF&G within 15 days after the hunt period ends.
Hunters are urged to obtain a receipt when they turn in their hunt reports or to mail them by delivery
confirmation receipt. If you fail to report, you will not be eligible to receive any permits (Drawing,
Targeted, Tier II, or Registration, including Tier I Nelchina Caribou) during the next regulatory year.
Additionally, your name will be turned over to the Alaska Wildlife Troopers for enforcement action.
These changes only apply to state caribou hunts in these areas. The federal caribou hunt on federal
lands is not affected by these changes. Hunters with questions about federal subsistence regulations
should call Office of Subsistence Management at (800) 478-1456

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Drawing on the 20th, hunt starts 21st. Kind of short notice.

But any opportunity is good!

Wife and I are not eligible, so good luck to those who are.

I'm curious as to where the animals are now and their distribution, but not enough to bother F&G with a call for information I can't use. Anyone know?

Last edited by las; 03/19/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
You better get a tag akmthumper because we know how badly you suck at moose hunting. You’re probably still rubbing one off to my 65” bull from last fall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Twofers, shoot a cow and a calf.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WDH
You better get a tag akmthumper because we know how badly you suck at moose hunting. You’re probably still rubbing one off to my 65” bull from last fall.

Lol..........everybody here knows that you don't hunt and road killed moose don't count as a kill dummy.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put in for this tag thinking no way I'd draw one, well I did. Now I just need to get out this weekend and hopefully get one. I may be going it alone, as the oldest son has been given the option to be activated or not with his Guard unit. I told him to do it, as he went from 2 part time jobs and being a full time student, to no job and full time student in a matter of three day with no way to pay rent after this month.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Feed him caribou..... and good luck. The scenery should be spectacular!

Any idea where you are going? Snow machine?

We need pictures!

Last edited by las; 03/24/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

276 members (10gaugemag, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,570
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.