Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Okay, I've had many high end Nikon etc. rifle scopes. I hunted for years with a Ruger 77 .300 mag stainless synthetic which was a rare tack hammer. I'm 72 now and am going back to hunting but didn't want to carry a cannon so bought a .243 light weight single shot and just want to put something functional on for a scope, like a Tasco or Simmons. I won't get a long shot so not needing a fancy scope. What do you think in a 3-9 x 40? Thanks.

WBL
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I like a burris FFII 3-9x40 can be had for $125. A very solid scope

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Second for the Burris. A used Nikon Monarch in 3X9 shouldn't be that much either but a decent scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to go wrong with a Varix II 3 - 9 x 40 Leupold. There are so many around you should be able to pick one up in the $125-$175 range at any gun show, gun shops, etc....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Used Bushnell Elite 3200 or Sightron SII for $100-$150...

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Call Doug, the Hawke Vantage is a really good optic for the price.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Its going to be hard to beat the Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got almost new Burris 3-9 with C4 reticle, 270 dial and moa dial.
I bet 270 and 243 would be pretty close in drop In your limited range. Or just use the moa turret

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Second for the Burris. A used Nikon Monarch in 3X9 shouldn't be that much either but a decent scope.

Had one of these and should never have gotten rid of it. Thanks for all the suggestions. Have some time to think about it.

WBL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’d go for the Burris and wouldn’t touch a Simmons or Tasco.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
There was a time when Tasco had a Japanese lone that wasn’t bad, and I think that Simmons May have had reliable scopes too but that time is gone they’re all Chinese-made junk now.

If you’re looking for something under $100 I saw a Nikon UCC 4x40mm on fleabay a couple of weeks ago for $77. I have one of those on a muzzle loader and they’re excellent for the money.

If you can swing $150-ish I’d get the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm ballistic plex which is a great value you won’t feel like you’re “settling” at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The FF-II is a very good deal at its price point. I just sold off three of them, but the reason was I don't care for the entire ocular turning to adjust magnification...a very subjective matter of taste. If that feature doesn't put you off, then you'll be happy with one.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
You`re in SE Wis, I live 100 miles North of GB...woods. Field Of View is important to me. If you hunt in simuler country, I`d look through all before I got one. I have several Diamondback 3x9x40`s I really like.
Good Luck

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought a used Leupold 4X fixed power scope for my Savage 99 in .243. I needed one with a constant generous eye relief and the fixed power did the trick. A 4X scope is all you need in the Eastern woods for deer or anything else. I bought mine for about 135 bucks. A compact fixed scope might be even better for you on a single shot. If that is still too much money, look for an older used Japanese made Tasco. I have one from about 1990 or so that has been solid. They were cheap scopes in their day, but they work. The newer ones are Chinese and aren't as reliable.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here's a bunch of clearance scopes at Natchez that might be in your wheelhouse.
Natchez clearance scopes.

That second one, Bushnell Legend Ultra HD, looks like a deal. About half price.
https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-...icle-35-12-fov-3-5-eye-relief-matte.html

Last edited by DollarShort; 03/25/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me thinks economy scopes would be a better value if a fixed power.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Warbirdlover, - please read -
can I ask when was the last time you looked through a scope? Reason being I have seen more than one hunter around your age lose the ability to use a standard duplex type reticle due to macular degeneration or some other vision deteriorating affect.. Cross-hairs look crooked or wavy and centering becomes difficult. If this is happening all is not yet lost though. To get around that we got Dad a scope with a lit dot center so that the cross hairs caused less of an issue- so something to consider.
BY FAR the most cost effective of this type is the Burris illuminated #4 that I turned many on to here when they went on sale at Natchez for $159. I would buy again and happily pay more however, I just looked for you and unfortunately and don't see them there now.

I have experience with three of the scopes recommended above . I own the Hawke, a Burris FF2 and bought \ mounted \\tested the Nikon Prostaff. Not a bad one in the lot. Modern scopes have become inexpensive but that doesn't mean they are 'cheap' - you get a LOT for the money.

My default go to for years was the FF2 and recommended them countless times but after having owned the Hawke and used the Prostaff I think I would recommend the Prostaff. Its adjustments are better than the Fullfield. I got to test it in low light and at some distances and was super impressed with it. For the money it was listed in this thread I think it the pick of the bunch. The Hawke has been stellar for me but believe the Prostaff likely brighter. If reticle isn't an issue - pick the best deal you could find on any of these. I would pick them over a Vari-x with friction adjustments any day.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
You`re in SE Wis, I live 100 miles North of GB...woods. Field Of View is important to me. If you hunt in simuler country, I`d look through all before I got one. I have several Diamondback 3x9x40`s I really like.
Good Luck

The Diamond back would be my ultimate choice but right now I just want something to get me through this hunting season. Maybe next year. And yes, I bought a Tasco. (Cringe). Money is tight right now.

WBL
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I almost bit on a 4.5-14X Burris Droptine.

Thought about one of those and the 1.5-6X illum dot model Doug has.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.