OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
https://www.breitbart.com/national-..._campaign=20200324&utm_content=Final

21 Million Chinese Cellphone Users Disappear in Three Months of Pandemic

by John Hayward
24 Mar 20202820

LISTEN TO STORY
7:05

The opacity of the Chinese Communist government obliges responsible outside observers to look for clues to the truth of the coronavirus epidemic, instead of merely repeating official information without question.

The official count from China is 3,277 fatalities from 81,171 infections as of Tuesday, but the Epoch Times noted the troubling disappearance of some 21 million cell phone accounts in China over the past three months – an unprecedented decline that hints at more fatalities than Beijing is prepared to admit.

It should be stated at the outset that we should not be forced to read tea leaves to figure out what really happened in China, especially in the virus epicenter of Hubei province and the city of Wuhan, where Chinese officials are currently making claims of zero new infections that no one seriously believes. While more responsible governments issue troubling warnings of a second wave of infections, severe enough to prompt the re-imposition of quarantine procedures that were only recently lifted, China claims it has no second wave and all of its new coronavirus cases are imported.

With that in mind, the Epoch Times thought it was a bit odd for 21 million Chinese cell phones to abruptly disappear, given that cell phone usage has been increasing constantly in China for years, and phones have been touted as an important tool for containing the coronavirus epidemic:

China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) announced on March 19 the number of phone users in each province in February. Compared with the previous announcement, which was released on Dec. 18, 2019, for November 2019 data, both cellphone and landline users dropped dramatically. In the same period the year before, the number of users increased.

The number of cellphone users decreased from 1.600957 billion to 1.579927 billion, a drop of 21.03 million. The number of landline users decreased from 190.83 million to 189.99 million, a drop of 840,000.

In the previous February, the number increased. According to MIIT, the number of cellphone users increased in February 2019 from 1.5591 billion to 1.5835 billion, which is 24.37 million more. The number of landline users increased from 183.477 million to 190.118 million, which is 6.641 million more.

According to China’s National Bureau of Statistics, the country’s population at the end of 2019 was 4.67 million larger than in 2018, reaching 1.40005 billion.

The article went on to postulate that some of the landlines might have been shut down as a consequence of the coronavirus quarantines, particularly lines used by shuttered business operations, but the sheer magnitude of the cell phone user decline makes it more difficult to explain. China Mobile, the nation’s largest carrier, reported gaining 3.7 million new accounts in December but then losing over 8 million in January and February, months in which it posted gains of 3.5 million users the previous year.

The Epoch Times considered several explanations for the loss of users, such as migrant workers who kept different cell phones for their home and work cities – necessary due to some of China’s regulations on phone service – abandoning the work phone because it was not needed during the quarantine period, or people generally canceling their phone service because they wanted to save money during the hard months.

On the other hand, the government is currently requiring citizens to use their cell phones to generate “health codes” so their movements can be tracked and permission to travel can be restricted to healthy individuals, so as U.S.-based commentator Tang Jiangyuan put it, it is effectively “impossible for a person to cancel his cellphone.”

“Dealing with the government for pensions and social security, buying train tickets, shopping … no matter what people want to do, they are required to use cell phones,” Tang noted.

The New York Times explained just how heavily Chinese authorities are leaning on those cell phones to monitor their population, and not just for coronavirus infections:

The Times’s analysis found that as soon as a user grants the software access to personal data, a piece of the program labeled “reportInfoAndLocationToPolice” sends the person’s location, city name and an identifying code number to a server. The software does not make clear to users its connection to the police. But according to China’s state-run Xinhua news agency and an official police social media account, law enforcement authorities were a crucial partner in the system’s development.

While Chinese internet companies often share data with the government, the process is rarely so direct. In the United States, it would be akin to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention using apps from Amazon and Facebook to track the coronavirus, then quietly sharing user information with the local sheriff’s office.

The system, which relies on a unit of the immense Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba, assigns users a green, yellow, or red “health code” in the style of a traffic light. Predictably, Chinese citizens find the opaque system cryptic and frightening, since the government has not explained exactly how it works.

“In some cities, residents now have to register their phone numbers with an app to take public transportation,” the Times added.

At the beginning of March, the so-called Alipay Health Code system had been launched in the city of Hangzhou, expanded to 200 other cities, and was on its way to a complete nationwide rollout. The rollout ran into some hitches over the following weeks, from technical glitches to confusion caused by local governments adding their own health codes to the already intimidating system.

A correspondent writing for Bloomberg News on March 18 reported using the system and said it was in the process of being “rolled out nationwide at railway stations, restaurants, pharmacies, and more.” Other reports in China have noted how cell phones are ubiquitous there and are employed for everything from accessing public and commercial resources to telecommuting to school during the coronavirus lockdown.

With this in mind, it might not be completely impossible to get by in Chinese cities without a cell phone at the moment, but it seems unlikely that a huge number of citizens would choose this moment to get rid of their phones.

“Lacking data, the real death toll in China is a mystery. The cancellation of 21 million cellphones provides a data point that suggests the real number may be far higher than the official number,” the Epoch Times concluded.

READ MORE STORIES ABOUT:

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Gee, the Chinese wouldn't lie to us about the Corona, would they?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I didn't even read the entire post. But I have seen this mentioned here and other places many times now, and I get the implication.

My question is, will we ever know?

China is largely a pre-paid cell phone plan population, with rented cell phones, and SIM cards swapped out frequently. With the turmoil there due to COVID, it is easy to assume that many people switched numbers or plans, or dropped their service because they are out of work. There is **MASSIVE CHURN** in China, from a cellular user perspective even on a GOOD day - tops in the WORLD. And, the data driving this narrative are suspect, to boot.

Do I think the Chinese lied and continue to lie about COVID? Yep! Their numbers are way higher than reported.......

But I have no proof, you don't either, and this probably ain't it, as well.

Last edited by duck911; 03/24/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by duck911
I didn't even read the entire post. But I have seen this mentioned here and other places many times now, and I get the implication.

My question is, will we ever know?

China is largely a pre-paid cell phone plan population, with rented cell phones, and SIM cards swapped out frequently. With the turmoil there due to COVID, it is easy to assume that many people switched numbers or plans, or dropped their service because they are out of work. There is **MASSIVE CHURN** in China, from a cellular user perspective even on a GOOD day - tops in the WORLD. And, the data driving this narrative are suspect, to boot.

Do I think the Chinese lied and continue to lie about COVID? Yep! Their numbers are way higher than reported.......

But I have no proof, you don't either, and this probably ain't it, as well.

Only in China would 21 million cell phone owners disappear. Remember, Moa taught the Chinese leadership much about making people vanish.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chinese teen agers typically have more than one phone.

Read it a really long time ago..there have been more phones, than people in China for a long time...

Maybe there was a mass dumping of infected squeezes...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the quoted "The Epoch Times" article:

Cell numbers dropped from just over 1.6Bn to just under 1.6 billion.

Total population of China, just a skosh over 1.4 billion.

So there are at least 200 million more numbers than people, and that's not including the tens and tens of millions of youngsters.

With the economic hardship of being unable (for the most part) to work for right about two months, not paying a cell phone monthly charge kinda makes sense.

FWIW, most cell phones are pre-paid, in the sense that you pay for your at the beginning of a month. Don't pay, no service. Whereas here, you're billed for what you used the month prior, in addition to any fixed charges.

As well, don't fall into the trap of thinking there's a phone for every number. It's plenty easy to swap SIM cards in and out. One phone, multiple numbers is a thing...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seeing how the total number of cell phones is greater than the population maybe 21 mil were junked because they were obsolete.

[Linked Image from ]
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kwg020: Hmmmm........ I wonder?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The number of cellphone users decreased from 1.600957 billion to 1.579927 billion, a drop of 21.03 million. The number of landline users decreased from 190.83 million to 189.99 million, a drop of 840,000.

That is strange. Its almost like someone is paying the home phone bill.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at the bright side - the Chicoms could have just locked another 21 million people up in their gulag.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Communist countries have a track record of depressing any news that is considered as bad for them, but it would be hard for them to keep news like this from leaking out, had their really been 21 million corona deaths. I doubt that was the case. More likely other reasons.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does this mean my wifi will be faster now ? wink

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That is a lot of damn phones. Our world is full of cell phone signals.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Their government probably just sent them to camp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I ask every other time I’ve seen this: what do you guys think they did with the bodies?

Last time someone thought they’ve burned them, using 40 mobile crematoriums. If nothing else that answer shows how effective holocaust education has been.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
21 Million cell phones...

probably laying on the bottom of the ocean.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mao killed 80,000,000 Chinese, they’re used to it.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.