Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A taxidermist suggested this style mount for my antelope.

What is your opinion?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
excellent mount really like it a lot...different the normal shoulder mount

Rob
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Too much in my opinion. Shoulder or Euro for me. Glad we all have choices though.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Too much in my opinion. Shoulder or Euro for me. Glad we all have choices though.

I agree....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I love pedestals, but I think it's a bit too much as well......too "busy".

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like it. Hope you have a large man cave. It takes up a lot space.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I wanted a habitat mount for my antelope but I wanted it to hang on the wall as well and this is what the taxidermist came up with. Same concept but less space.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Robb10238
I wanted a habitat mount for my antelope but I wanted it to hang on the wall as well and this is what the taxidermist came up with. Same concept but less space.

Nice looking mount.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I love pedestals, but I think it's a bit too much as well......too "busy".

Yep...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you, he wasn't the largest speed goat I saw on the hunt but he was the one I could find that I could use my revolver on and that my wife was with me at the time. Those were my two main criteria, not so much size. It took 19 years to draw that particular tag on the National Antelope Refuge in SE Oregon.

IC B3

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think antelope are an awesome looking mount. I would suggest using a wall pedestal form for your antelope. It shows more of the shoulder and turns out from the wall very nicely. You can add habitat like above also if you like that look.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am a fan of the shoulder mount.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't like it. Looks like thre taxi can't make up his mind. Either go full body mount or shoulder mount, not half ass.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
It is an interesting mount and definitely not something seen every day; however,it will take up a lot of room. Personally, I prefer either European or traditional shoulder mounts but it is your mount, money and house so make yourself happy.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 805
I think antelope are an awesome looking mount. I would suggest using a wall pedestal form for your antelope. It shows more of the shoulder and turns out from the wall very nicely. You can add habitat like above also if you like that look.

Yep seen one at my taxi this year, looked damn good. Upright ped

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like euro the best, if I ever get a 80” + I might head mount it.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload pictures free

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Too much. Looks like one nailed a crippled critter, and dioramas seem to only work in museums where one has near unlimited space. Shoulder mount with perhaps a slight turn one way or another depending on where it might be displayed.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/25/20.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like pedestal mounts if they are done right and not to busy. They do take up a lot of room but a wall pedestal would be nice. A good antelope makes a great mount. I like classic shoulder and Euro-mounts a lot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image upload no registration

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’d personally pass. It kind of looks like he went for the half body mount look and used a regular wall pedestal or floor pedestal form.

Last edited by TxHunter80; 03/25/20.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by KC

I don't like it. Looks like thre taxi can't make up his mind. Either go full body mount or shoulder mount, not half ass.

I agree. If you have a huge man cave a full body would be nice otherwise a well done shoulder mount is the way to go.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Roundoak: I really like it - I have a Bull Elk done like it and most all my guests remark how much they like it.
Only thing that Antelope dio-rama needs is an original Indian arrowhead lying in the dirt there in front of the Buffalo skull
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My opinion is your taxidermist wants you to spend a lot of $$$. Pedestal mounts cost a lot more than a simple shoulder mount and a simple shoulder mount costs a lot more than a European mount which costs more than a horn on panel mount. Your $$$, do as you will.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with those who said it looks too busy. I like pedestals and have two. One is a kudu which is just a simple pedestal with hide in the 4 panels, the other is a double black buck with a bit of grass and dirt and hide in the six panels. They both sit in corners. That said my pronghorn is at the taxidermist and will be a shoulder mount. Whatever fits in your house/trophy room.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a fan of pedestal mounts. Have several wall pedestals. Have floor pedestals coming for zebra and kudu. Don't like the habitat stuff much. Like a clean, uncluttered look.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NO FREAKING WAY !!!............... That would be the "bosses" verdict on that one....... Although I have two antelope here and they're both in the man cave. One shoulder mount and one Euro. But that does look nice to me, anyway.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have one antelope mounted, a record head.. I have three or four with the skulls cleaned bone white... I much prefer that method...

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
A taxidermist suggested this style mount for my antelope. What is your opinion?

[Linked Image from emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I’m a fan of offset shoulder mounts. If I’m going to do a big display mount like your taxidermist suggested, I’m going to do it for something a little more rare than a pronghorn.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by handwerk
I am a fan of the shoulder mount.

+1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A taxidermist suggested this style mount for my antelope.

Not for me.

Last edited by CRS; 03/25/20.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
roundoak - Maybe I'm just too traditional and like shoulder mounts because they have been around forever. I do have quite a few pedestal mounts that are basically a shoulder mount with a finished, sculptured back, and I like them. I also have several wall pedestal mounts which give variety to the traditional shoulder mounts. My personal opinion of the mount you pictured is that the extended body just looks weird, so for me the answer would be no.

Also, I think the dead grass only coming out of the cow skull's eye hole looks weird, and I would prefer it to only come up from the ground. Picky, picky, picky.

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
...Only thing that Antelope dio-rama needs is an original Indian arrowhead lying in the dirt there in front of the Buffalo skull
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Not an Antelope dio-rama, but here's my "Pheasant under glass," complete with a few arrowheads, in the corner of my Trophy Room bar.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buffybr
roundoak - Maybe I'm just too traditional and like shoulder mounts because they have been around forever. I do have quite a few pedestal mounts that are basically a shoulder mount with a finished, sculptured back, and I like them. I also have several wall pedestal mounts which give variety to the traditional shoulder mounts. My personal opinion of the mount you pictured is that the extended body just looks weird, so for me the answer would be no.

Also, I think the dead grass only coming out of the cow skull's eye hole looks weird, and I would prefer it to only come up from the ground. Picky, picky, picky.

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
...Only thing that Antelope dio-rama needs is an original Indian arrowhead lying in the dirt there in front of the Buffalo skull
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Not an Antelope dio-rama, but here's my "Pheasant under glass," complete with a few arrowheads, in the corner of my Trophy Room bar.

Now I like that setup!!!

What is haunting me about the taxidermist pedestal mount is what my hired man commented when he saw it: "It looks like it is a cripple." laugh

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I would like it if it still had the front legs on. As it is it doesn't appeal to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a fan. Too busy, doesn't look like it was planned and thought out and it takes up a ton of room.

Honestly - I'm not a fan of any mount and regardless of critter size - I won't spend the money. Euro or just antlers on wood for me but understand others ain't me and don't have to think like me.

Family has lots of mounts and the plain shoulder with a turn etc is easily the best. IMO

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No. Lots of good reasons why it is way less than desirable are already listed

A shoulder mount with a slight turn would be my pick.

Last edited by Lonny; 03/27/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's very nice, buffybr. Easy to dust too. grin

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think the wall pedestal mounts look clean and more elegant than a regular shoulder mount.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My taxidermist and I came up with some habitat for this wall pedestal mount.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by 805

Yep seen one at my taxi this year, looked damn good. Upright ped

This. That taxidermist probably uses see thru scope rings too.🤢

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
I think the wall pedestal mounts look clean and more elegant than a regular shoulder mount.

Perfect example right here! Awesome mounts Red! I agree 100% with the wall pedestal looking best also. I prefer no habitat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got 2 wall mounts, one with a slight right turn, the other a slight left turn. If I get another good antelope I'd also do the wall pedestal, IMHO that is about the best way to display a nice antelope buck, although they all look great!!

[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
@RedRabbit, Very nice mounts! I especially like the top one, I don't have enough wall space for the habitat on your second one.

@SS336, I built that bar when I built my Trophy Room addition back in 1989. Part of that project was to re-model the existing kitchen, and I used the old kitchen base cabinets in the base of the bar. That corner of the bar was just wasted space that begged to have a mount in it. It's completely enclosed with a light in the top that is accessed through a small removable panel.

The arrowheads were an after thought about 5 years ago. It was fun placing them with the help of a mirror and the arrowheads stuck to tape on the end of a stick. Being totally enclosed, I've never had to dust it. grin

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is outstanding!

WWP53D
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like it but it seems to take up too much space for what it is.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the shoulder mount my self. But everyone has there own style and it’s all good.

Last edited by 1100RemingtonMan; 03/28/20.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I like it, if you have the right place to put it. If tight on space the euro mounts look cool.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's a nice trophy and I think a plain old shoulder mount would do it justice. Put a photo or 2 of hunt beside it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Those are even better...I have a regular shoulder mount of my antelope and honestly it sucks...boring and just like every other mount out there.

Rob
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wall pedestal with no "habitat" is my preference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer a plain old wall mount with a lot of shoulder for an antelope. To me anyway, one without a bunch of shoulder makes the head look kinda weird, as in too big.

This one here is very, very nice.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I kind of go with others. Interesting concept, but large area taken up - do you have the floor space to sacrifice? Also, pheasant under glass looks nice and is protected, but this looks like it is open to everything. Do you have dogs, cats, kids. grand kids? How do you keep them out of it? That grass and sagebrush are going to be really fragile, more so as they get drier. How are you going to keep the above mentioned riffraff out of the display, and how are you going to dust and clean it? It will get dingy if not cleaned periodically and if not enclosed in glass. Cleaning that sagebrush looks pretty iffy.

Aside from that, it does look a little odd having a legless pronghorn floating above the dirt.

But if this is your only pronghorn, definitely do your best to do at least a shoulder mount to preserve the beautiful and exotic hide, The throat pattern is unique to each animal. No two are alike and all are striking.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don’t care for what you taxidermist suggested. Too big.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I prefer a plain old wall mount with a lot of shoulder for an antelope. To me anyway, one without a bunch of shoulder makes the head look kinda weird, as in too big.

Any Idea who did this mount?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by muleshoe

Any Idea who did this mount?

Tim Rajsich in Flagstaff did this for me. But he retired a few years ago and moved to Idaho

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by SS336
I like pedestal mounts if they are done right and not to busy. They do take up a lot of room but a wall pedestal would be nice. A good antelope makes a great mount. I like classic shoulder and Euro-mounts a lot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image upload no registration

THAT taxidermist knows goats.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tahnka_Wow, the one on the left in the second pictures a beaut! Tell us about it, where, when, size, you know all the good stuff. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went European mount with mine.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by SS336
Tahnka_Wow, the one on the left in the second pictures a beaut! Tell us about it, where, when, size, you know all the good stuff. grin

Probably the best I'll ever take...certainly the most meaningful.

Behind him you'll see an '03 Springfield. It was my Uncle's only high-powered rifle: He bought it at Fred Meyer's and carried it in the Oregon woods his whole life. He could take a ruffed grouse head off at 50 yards, and he was my hunting partner and mentor after Mom and Dad split. "Walking Sticks" seem to be all the rage now. Lester used the Springfield. That buttstock is well-polished from that application.

When he was fighting Leukemia (and after I had given him a Kimber .308 with a scope due to his eyesight failing him, and had taken him to Montana on his last hunt), he summoned me to his house, handed me "The Ol' Springfield" (as he always called it) and said, "Go kill something with it before I die."

I carried no other rifle that season. On foot and way too far from the rig (6.5 miles as the crow flies but I ain't no crow), and after I'd missed a shot at a closer to average buck, I was at the point of turning back. In the distance was a small herd of 15-20 goats. One last try.

I dog-trotted about a half mile, then closed using dry washes. I came out of the wash, the goats were unaware at 175 yards. I picked out the larger buck in the group and pushed that wonderful two-stage trigger to the wall and it broke crisp like always. A 165gr Sierra Hollowpoint Boattail went right where it was told.

Walking up to the animal, for once I realized the precise opposite of "ground-shrinkage". When I touched him I started to shake and then burst into tears. I thanked Lester out loud through sobs though he wasn't there. I remember the buttstock of The Ol' Springfield resisting tears splashing on it, kept wiping them off only to see them replaced.

Got the goat home and to the taxidermist and out of the taxidermist in time for pictures with Lester, Me, The Goat, and The Ol' Springfield. Lester passed 3 months later.

My taxidermist is a Boone and Crocket scorer. I have never had an animal put in the books (it seems too close to being competition for my tastes) and my taxidermist knows this, but insisted on putting the tape to this one. When I went to pick up the mount he informed me it qualified as Montana State Record for 2004, and once again pressed me to allow him to submit it. I declined.

I have my trophy: Better yet, I have my memories- unequaled by anything in any book.

For those who live by the numbers, 15 5/8 by 16. Base: 6 3/8 by 6 3/8.

Last edited by Tahnka; 04/02/20.

Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's big one for sure, impressive. Your right that would be hard to top, sure would be fun trying though. grin Thanks for the info on great hunt.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thank you for asking. I enjoy telling the story, but still get watery eyes every single time.

Jack O'Connor
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I agree with the cripple comment.
About the only hoofed animal that I think would look really cool other than just the rack, a euro, or a shoulder mount, would be a full stuffed mountain goat.
Actually, the only shoulder mounts that I would consider would be an antelope, goat, sheep, large wild boar, or a moose...if I were so lucky. And a jackalope. Most deer species I like just the rack or a euro mount.
I've seen some nice looking stuffed bobcats and coyotes too.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Picked up the mount today.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Looks good pard. 🤙🤙

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree. Looks good.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I like it.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Two thumbs up here. Simplicity that hi lights the animal.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,151
Posts18,465,027
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.