Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Ok, I'm a 6'5" 295lb guy. I live in Iowa and I spend alot of time hiking here, but I'm under no delusions that hiking in the mountains will be anything close (I have been in the mountains before, just not on a hard hunt). SO, I'm gonna need a good pair of boots. I'd rather not spend $400 to save 2 oz since I'll never notice it, and I'd prefer a mid length ankle as high ones generally hit my calves. Anyone in my situation? What works for you? Thx!

GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
To begin with, good boots for the mountains will be very close to more than your ceiling. I like mountaineering style boots, though have used a few pairs of USA made Danners that worked out.

My favorites are Lathrop and Sons Mountain Hunter and Hanwag Alaskan GTX:

https://lathropandsons.com/lathrop-and-sons-mountain-hunter.html/

https://hanwagboot.com/products/alaska-gtx

Key attributes of these boots are terrific support for steep country, and support while carrying a pack. Mine are non-insulated, as I use good wool blend socks for warmth and have always found these adequate. I have hunting friends who also like Kennetrek and similar brands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone's feet are different but these are the boots that I grab for anything but the steepest terrain or very cold weather.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/quest-4d-3-gtxr.html#color=9861

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Pbgunrnr: I am not far behind your stats there.
I have Hunted Elk for over half a century and the priorities for my Elk Hunting boots are in this order:
#1 = Comfort
#2 = Warmth
#3 = Ankle support
#4 = Warmth
#5 = Traction (bob soles or vibram like cleat soles)
#6 = Warmth
#7 = Water-proof
#8 = Warmth
#9 = Cost
#10 = Warmth
I mostly Hunt at higher elevations and this means COLD if NOT all day then for sure in the morning and in the evenings.
Your feet MUST stay warm or your "Hunting" will suffer.
I use Danner Elk Hunters.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I went through the process a few months back. With crappy retail options around me, I had to order in a bunch of contenders, and return those that didn’t make the cut. Here’s how it shook it out for me.

Let us know what you end up with.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I like Crispis. Just picked another pair of Thors. Size 12 wide feet. Pretty light boot and decent support.

I really like my scarpa triolets but they are heavy

Don't forget to buy a good pair of gaiters. I like kuiu and inserts like superfeet

https://www.campsaver.com/crispi-th...otV5XB768AltLCCFosRHy8CKm-RoC0IYQAvD_BwE

Under $200

Last edited by ribka; 03/25/20.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
FC, great postings!
Varmint guy- your experience puts a high value on warmth, my feet sweat alot, would that change how you look at boots? Are the danners you have the newer style or the old ones everyone seems to like?
I wear merril shoes most of the time so I I appreciate synthetics and gore tex, but I want to make sure that I'm not assuming waterproofing is of utmost importance!
Ribka- why gaiters? Educate me please?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Where are you elk hunting (generally, not GPS coordinates)? When will you be there? Predicted elevation of your hunt? Hunting on foot, horses, ATV, from a blind, or ??????

Comfort/Warmth are very subjective so the below may, or may not apply to you.

I hunt primarily afoot and typically get by with some good moisture managing socks and no insulation down to about 20 degrees. Meindl/Cabelas Denali are my favorite, the Meindl USA equivalent is the Vakuum Hunter.

A typical hunt would be 45-90min walk/stalk into position before 1sr/last light, then sit for 90-120min and hope to catch a critter moving. If it's wet, particularly windy, or much colder than 20F then I go to pac boots. I too have large drumsticks. 13" Schnees Hunter II's have plenty of room and long enough laces to make use of that room, 10" models should stay below your calves, I have both. I typically wear the 13's much more often than the 10's.

While I'm moving I try to wear the bare minimum amount of clothing that keeps me comfortable (not necessarily "toasty"), full-body moisture management is THE KEY to full-body comfort for me. If my plan is to hike in then sit down for an extended period, I'll pack in a dry shirt (typically fleece that's light and warm), a puffy jacket and pants, a GOOD windproof hat, and good windproof glommets/gloves. When I get close/into position, I'll take all my top layers off down to bare skin and dry off as I'm digging dry and warmer clothing out of my pack. Puffy pants 1st, then a dry shirt, puffy jacket, then maybe/maybe not a wind stopping layer.

Apologies if this is sort of "Captain Obvious" type stuff, but for me, I can't just say "X boot works for me" without explaining why/how.

Last edited by horse1; 03/26/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Dont apologize, I sincerely appreciate the info! And as of yet I'm not sure where I'm going! I'm thinking maybe new Mexico or one of the more southern states only because i did a mule deer hunt in Montana a few years ago. But I'd be open to suggestions about that too! Lol. My trip is in its infancy, building my gun mow so I can practice all summer, Then building my kit....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Schnee's has a nice sale on right now, just ordered some Beartooth's to try out. Still searching for the holy grail.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Boots and gloves are probably the 2 most subjective pieces of clothing one needs to sort out. I have a couple friends that need WAY more boot/glove insulation than I do to stay comfortable. Tough guys who spend countless days out in COLD weather. They just need more.

The other balance one needs to find is support vs. dead air space. A snug fitting boot that locks your feet into place feels great on rough terrain, but, dead-air space insulates well. There's a balance there somewhere, it's different for everyone.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Elk live in a lot of places and are hunted from late August to late January. Hunting them in the prairies is easier then going high and steep, and September hunts are going to be easier then December hunts.

So get boots that give you good support and have REAL good soles for traction,

but the rest of the features will depend on where and WHEN you are going to hunt. It's common for me to wear surplus military combat boots on elk hunts up to the snow flys.

After that, the "rules" for boots change a lot.
Where and when are you going?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve tried lots of brands. So far Chrispi have been the best. I’m a Bowhunter so I in generally fairly warm weather.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There have been many similar threads. Check out Sierra Trading Post when they re-open. Lowa Tibet, Kenner, Asolo, and Danner USA all make good boots. My favorite is Galibier and Lowa but many others are good. The Alilco from Sierra trading post are very well made old school hiking boots. Get them one size larger and put a good in-sole in them and wear a liner sock and wool outer and you will be set. The Summit is a good compromise model.

Red Wing boots are still very good and worth a look. Early season you can get by with hikers like the Merrill Moab 2 or the Keen Targhee II, these are very light and the ankle high ones are sufficient. Only if you are packing out do you need heavier foot wear. Later in the season about 200 grams of Thinsulate and a water barrier liner are nice. More extreme conditions Schnees or Whites boots are great but beyond your budget.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Irish setters and danners are ok/good for the money around 100/140$ Sales pending
You might hit warm weather or cold weather while elk hunting.
I have a set of non insulated danners and 800 Irish. I Probably could have got 400 as 800 can be warm when it warms up mid day, But that depended I’d you sit or walk.
I like the idea of having two boots when 1000 miles away from home or 3 or 4 hours from nearest big box store

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
everybody above have covered the subject well. all I can add is get whatever you are going to use well in advance and WEAR them. new boots on opening day can kill a hunt.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer boots in the 6 to 7" range. I seldom need to cross streams where these aren't high enough. It's dry here in the fall.
My preferred brand is Keen. As I've got older, the balls of my feet have spread and most brands aren't wide enough. Keens are wider in the ball area and fit me great. I can't compare them to others for quality but for my fit, they're the best I've found.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The key is to find boots that fit your particular feet. Go to a good outdoor store,find someone knowledgeable on fitting boots, and try on a few different brands/styles.

I settled on Lowa Renegades, very comfortable and around $250.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One thing i will say after being in the exact same position that u are not too awful long ago is dont mistake comfortable boots for mountain boots. I wore my old work boots wolverines i think on my first trip and needed a skin graft when the week was done. Then i tried some underarmour infil gtx and they were super comfy until the toes and the creases blew out three miles in to the weminuche wilderness. Finally got some kenetrek mt extremes and no blisters less fatigue and no leaks. Amazing the difference the stiff boots make when climbing and sidehilling. I since purchases some salewa ravens that are simply the most amazing boots ive ever worn for mountain terrain and the synthetic material shed the water much better than the leather kenetreks as well. 150$ cheaper also. No boot will be perfect but the right boots combined with a good pair of gaiters will keep the skin grafts from happening.
SWAMPOKIE

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
yep. I don't like stiff boots for flat areas, rolling hills but for really steep and rocky terrain they are much better than street boots.

Id pick up hiking poles too, can't live with out them

Originally Posted by Swampokie
One thing i will say after being in the exact same position that u are not too awful long ago is dont mistake comfortable boots for mountain boots. I wore my old work boots wolverines i think on my first trip and needed a skin graft when the week was done. Then i tried some underarmour infil gtx and they were super comfy until the toes and the creases blew out three miles in to the weminuche wilderness. Finally got some kenetrek mt extremes and no blisters less fatigue and no leaks. Amazing the difference the stiff boots make when climbing and sidehilling. I since purchases some salewa ravens that are simply the most amazing boots ive ever worn for mountain terrain and the synthetic material shed the water much better than the leather kenetreks as well. 150$ cheaper also. No boot will be perfect but the right boots combined with a good pair of gaiters will keep the skin grafts from happening.
SWAMPOKIE

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.