Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My roomate in college liked to go bowfishing. We would go right below the dam on Lake Sinclair, Milledgeville Ga. There were huge carp swimming around there.
There were always a couple of black families fishing there off the shore.
Jerry shot a 15 pound carp and I walked over to shore and offered it to this black lady, she was fishing with a cane pole. She just about did backflips, she was so happy.
She pulled up her stringer she had about 10 fish on there and the biggest was five inches long. Mostly bream. Those black ladies would eat any fish they caught.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Has anyone seen the slightest indication that the food supply chain will break down?

Break down, no, but in my industry I’m seeing some things that concern me. A processor called me Friday and said most of his distributors are shutting down (restaurant business). What little retail distributors he has, are not enough to make it worth running the floor, so he’s considering shuttering. Now the truck line that depended on his freight is cancelling the route, because it’s not economical to run a half loaded truck. That pushes other processors that use the same truck line into a corner.

I’ve got plenty of product, but it’s the wrong size for retail, so it’s about impossible to move.

All this can be solved, but not quickly.

And so the world turns.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by JeffA

But would have to restock liquor & cigarettes !

Good time to quit them smokes.....

Yeah, no doubt, but I'm also thinking of how I'd be to live with, from the other house occupants.

Will do it, but not while we're cooped up !

Went cold turkey, before our 1st was born & stayed off 'em for 9 years !

I was actually talking to myself........thanks for the reply.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seven deer's worth of venison, three hams, three turkeys, 20 lbs of bacon, a dozen whole chickens, 10-15 lbs of fish fillets, 30 lbs of rice, four bags of flour, four bags of cornmeal, several cases of Span and Vienna sausages, ramen noodles and pantry full of canned goods. I think we can weather the storm for awhile

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hell, I'm carrying three weeks of food in my mid-section.

Tarquin
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
PSA: If this drags on for the weeks to come and you are anything like me and have full freezers in less than secure locations.
You might want to think about locking things down a bit.
Honest folks can become less than honest when it comes to needing to feed their families.

Be thoughtful and share what you can.....

A small generator can keep a freezer chillin' if we have power outages due to seasonal storms or other reasons.

Don't loose what you've hoarded for easily avoided reasons......

generators are nice, but have you thought in a period of power outage and desparate need of people, y our house all lite up at night?
i would only run them for short periods during the day.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
No different that staying prepared for hurricane season. Self reliance is a way of life

Sam......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

But would have to restock liquor & cigarettes !

Good time to quit them smokes.....

Yeah, no doubt, but I'm also thinking of how I'd be to live with, from the other house occupants.

Will do it, but not while we're cooped up !

Went cold turkey, before our 1st was born & stayed off 'em for 9 years !

i was told online by a supplier of skoal that had none for sale. in lieu of the virus, the manufacturer shut it down.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Right now I have four cottontails, two quail and half a dozen collared doves in my back yard. I'm good as long as the grass and seed hold out.

i have about 15 or 20 collared dove in my back yard for left over goat/cat food.
i have been fantazing lately about that pellet gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by boatammo
Having parents who lived through the depression sure did teach me. Food is no issue.

Yep.

Most here wouldn't even believe me if I said how I'm actually situated on food/essentials... So I won't.

We can shoot ducks in the spring here and they are in endless supply,,also Bristol Bay is looking iffy and we will have millions of sockeye's here on the lake!

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got plenty of meat out there running wild as well as a 120 mile lake chuck full of fish and nobody has to feed them. Harvest, butcher/ clean and then eat. garden season coming up and assuming I'll be able to get seeds and starter plants will have food for a year. Down the road if needed I could even produce my own seeds.

living the good life every day
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Has anyone seen the slightest indication that the food supply chain will break down?

Yes, well not in person today, but my wife went to the store and there was no more bread flour on the shelves. And you've seen the pictures of our wonderful homemade bread. We can make it with all purpose especially if we add some gluten, but using the bread flour is easier. We;re good Americans......we like easy!

She went to the "hippie aisle" where they keep the vegan lavender soaps at one end and the organic blue corn chips across the aisle and down so they don't absorb the lavender smell. Jim, she found a bag of your buddy's flour, that "Bob's Red Mill" bread flour. Don't hate us, these are hard times and a woman's got to do what a woman's got to do, in order to make bread for her man, right?

And last I checked, the dry beans and most of the canned ones is gone too. I don't like them things much, but I'm thinking there better be a shipment coming soon or the bean eaters will be revolutionating outside the Grocery Outlet.

Geno

PS, I ain't telling any of you how much food supply I'm sitting on. I've heard some folks have the capability of trackin' others down so they can kick some azz. Don't want to take the chance one of them types will decide he wants our tiny bit of grub. Maybe a days worth if we're lucky. The whippets are looking tasty too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
85 Copper River Reds in one Freezer. Most of the Moose in another Freezer. I still have 50 lbs of mountain goat meat in another. We have 150 lbs of flour and 50 lbs of sugar. We have 150 lbs of rice. 200lbs of potatoes in the dry root cellar. Its just my wife and I. I may have to go down to town to get some beer kits but otherwise a country boy can survive.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch

Break down, no, but in my industry I’m seeing some things that concern me. A processor called me Friday and said most of his distributors are shutting down (restaurant business). What little retail distributors he has, are not enough to make it worth running the floor, so he’s considering shuttering. Now the truck line that depended on his freight is cancelling the route, because it’s not economical to run a half loaded truck. That pushes other processors that use the same truck line into a corner.

I’ve got plenty of product, but it’s the wrong size for retail, so it’s about impossible to move.

All this can be solved, but not quickly.

And so the world turns.

You have a cleaning line there or would I have to buy in the round if I make a trip up. A man could fill up a freezer you know, if a man had a freezer.

Probably shut the gate there at Ontario and not let anybody in now, seeing as how you're on lock down.

Sure hope it clears up soon for you Dutch. Hang tough.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Right now I have four cottontails, two quail and half a dozen collared doves in my back yard. I'm good as long as the grass and seed hold out.

i have about 15 or 20 collared dove in my back yard for left over goat/cat food.
i have been fantazing lately about that pellet gun.

Fantasize no more...

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Gamo 6110017154 Varmint Air Rifle .177 Cal.

Mine showed up yesterday..lol..
Price is up to 85 bucks now, I paid 65 less than a week ago.
Haven't had one since I was a kid, this thing is amazing, I'm blowing holes through 3/8's boards on my fence at 40 yards.
There is food walking around in my yard.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a bunch of gamo and other air rifles I bought half price last year at Walmart. I've got about 10 of them. I'd list them for sell but I'm not going out to the post office or ups for a while. I really need to get rid of most of them though.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How'd I do at 65 bucks compared to your's at half price?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't think I have that model but I have 3 that look pretty similar same brand that I paid about what you did for. They were $130 retail.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool...
I don't know how they can make them and sell them at such a price.
I hope that CV-19 don't kill off to many Chinese children, I'd really miss their products...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We always have some food storage on hand. We have been staying home and we are trying to be strategic about meal planning.

By that I mean we are planning meals that use what's in the fridge first, freezers second, and trying to save the canned goods and dry goods for last. We're doing it that way for the obvious reasons and also so that when we do get a chance or take a chance to go shopping we will have room in the fridge and freezer to stock up a bit again.

I've got several buckets of beans, rice, grains, and pasta for longer term that I hope we don't have to get into. This may be a good chance to use up a lot of canned goods we have that are just out of date. We are using a little of that already too.

BB

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 53 invisible), 2,027 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,087
Posts18,463,935
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.