Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I just picked up a Rem 700 short action Sporter barrel rifle. I want to upgrade the factory synthetic ADL stock . I’m looking for “been there done that “ experience. It doesn’t have to be super light , but would like decent quality.

Is the $285 B&C synthetic stocks a decent stock ? I really like this price point.

Or would you spend a little more for the HS Precision.

If I go the BDL option , I’ll have to drop another $100 for bottom metal . I don’t have to have that option because I never open it up anyway . ADL style is just fine for me.

Experience? Stocks to avoid? I prefer a mostly drop in fit. Thanks

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 03/25/20.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I certainly wouldn’t spend more for an HS; if spending more I would look for a used McMillan. In that range I’d personally watch the classifieds for a used ti takeoff.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not a lot of options for ADL. I'd leave it as is, at least for now. The B&C Medalist stocks with the aluminum chassis is a decent quality stock for around $300 although they tend to be a little heavier than I like. And a bit thick and chunky. But if weight isn't an issue and you don't find them chunky they are a good stock. I'd not have a problem with one on a rifle intended for a varmint/target/tactical use where you want some weight. Not my favorite for a hunting rifle. If you CAN get a Medalist for an ADL it wouldn't be a bad choice. I think HS offers an option for an ADL, but it'd be cheaper to buy the bottom metal and get a B&C than buy a HS-Precision stock. They are no better, or worse than B&C.

Unless B&C is offering something different the only ADL stock they used to have is a new version of the old Ti stock. It has a mountain rifle barrel channel which will have to be opened up to make a sporter barrel fit. I tried one on one of the SS Synthetic ADL MT rifles at one time and I never could get a good fit and accuracy was poor. And this was with the correct barrel contour to fit the stock.

While they have a following I think the Ti stocks suck. They are lighter and trimmer since they have no aluminum insert, but they are a WEAK stock without the metal insert. I've seen posts where they broke from being dropped and one broke just from the recoil of being fired. The factory synthetic that comes on your rifle is much tougher and about the same weight.

If you're going to spend money to upgrade, then upgrade. Save your money and buy a McMillan Edge. If you're patient they show up used in the classifieds here. I have bought 4 McMIllan's that way, including one for a 700 ADL. You might have to settle for a different color than you'd get if custom ordering. But can save $100-$150. But it may take a few months for what you want to show up. But there is a 3-4 month wait for a new one too.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
McMillan Classic

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
grayboe or AG Composites.....

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
McMillan Classic

That would be my 1st choice. Or like huntsman said take a look at the AG Composites - specifically the Privateer. More spendy than a B & C but a dang nice stock for a sporter contour rifle.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Look at the Cooper stocks from Stocky's

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The B&C stock is a good upgrade for the money. I like the aluminium bedding block. There are better choices out there like McMillan, Manners,etc. but you will spend a lot more money. I would take the B&C over the HS

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jc189
The B&C stock is a good upgrade for the money. I like the aluminium bedding block. There are better choices out there like McMillan, Manners,etc. but you will spend a lot more money. I would take the B&C over the HS

Yes

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I just picked up a Rem 700 short action Sporter barrel rifle. I want to upgrade the factory synthetic ADL stock . I’m looking for “been there done that “ experience. It doesn’t have to be super light , but would like decent quality.

Is the $285 B&C synthetic stocks a decent stock ? I really like this price point.

Im a BIG fan of the B&C Alaskan Stocks or their Faux Ti...Ive got four of them....

.17 Remington in LVSF configuration...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

.222 "build" on a 700 action..

Stainless SPS in .223AI..

The other is on a Basic .223 BDL....no pic!

They get a lot of use, and Im very happy with them.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ingwe

Im a BIG fan of the B&C Alaskan Stocks or their Faux Ti...Ive got four of them....

.17 Remington in LVSF configuration...

.222 "build" on a 700 action..

Stainless SPS in .223AI..

The other is on a Basic .223 BDL....no pic!

They get a lot of use, and Im very happy with them.

Ingwe
Is that an average size fox or a big coon?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go used McMillan classic or compact or used Bansner. May take a bit to find. Or for just a truck gun type rig, I'd find an old wooden adl stock and bed the lug and free float the barrel.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Excellent thread... I’m getting ready to build a 700 for the kids - so looking at a bunch of stock options - ALL GOOD

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Average fox and a pretty average coon too...

Theres a couple big coons here...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That one on the left would make a lot of bbq.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Texczech
That one on the left would make a lot of bbq.

Yeah that one mighta hit 20 pounds..

The one pictured with the fox would be maybe10 lbs...

Heres another double of the same kind..a tad bigger...with the .17

Last edited by ingwe; 03/25/20.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Or like huntsman said take a look at the AG Composites - specifically the Privateer.

Privateer, baby....
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

or the Grayboe Terrain I mentioned..
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I have three B&C stocks. 2 TI take-offs and another Medalist. The TIs are lighter and more suited for a Mountain Rifle contour while the Medalist will fit a heavier sporter weight bbl. The Medalist won't save you any weight (and sometimes that is OK) but they are a good stock and far better than the factory tupperware.

Depends on what your needs are.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I run the B&C Medalist stocks on my two main hunting rifles, and have always had good service from them. Love the aluminum bedding block......I'm no expert by any means, but with the Rem 700 I put together in that stock, I can wring out .3 MOA with my 185 gr Berger VLD handloads in .300 WM

Don't really want to go too light with a thumper....LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like the Grayboe, B&C and HS stocks. I have all 3 and McMillan. If you don’t want to spend McMillan money, any of them are better than factory stock. All are heavy but the B&C fills a little more trim. I prefer the Grayboe. I think it’s a better built stock, not needing a bedding block to be rigid. Redhawk Rifles keeps the HS ADL models in stock if you want to stick to the adl configuration. I can snap some pics of all 3 together if you think it’ll help

Last edited by TxHunter80; 03/26/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.